501 King Solomon You Ain't Nothing But A Teenager Big Things

502 Benny Curtis Dirty Hearts

503 Benny Curtis Dirty Hearts Before You Go

504 Hayes Cotton Black Wings Has My Angel I'll Be Waiting

505 Benny Curtis Precious One That's All Right

507 Wilbur Reynolds Who'll Cry Sweet'n

850 Ruby Rowe We Love Each Other A Woman Is Heaven Sent

additions?

Not 100% sure of Dirty Hearts being released twice. Did also hear of Cookie Jackson - Do You Still Love Me being released on Resist as well as Progress thumbsup.gif

Social source share

110 Billy Nitro As Sweet As Your Love For Me For Me Mystic Lover

additions?

Not 100% sure of Dirty Hearts being released twice.  Did also hear of Cookie Jackson - Do You Still Love Me being released on Resist as well as Progress  :thumbsup:

link

Ta Chalky, very informative thumbsup.gif

My copy of Dirty Hearts is R-502 with the flip Before You Go R-503. It also has the Sax's Record Shop graffiti.

Anyone heard 505? Any good?

Social source share

additions?

Not 100% sure of Dirty Hearts being released twice.  Did also hear of Cookie Jackson - Do You Still Love Me being released on Resist as well as Progress  thumbsup.gif

link

how much does wilbur reynolds go for?

Mick

Social source share

Ta Chalky, very informative :thumbsup:

My copy of Dirty Hearts is R-502 with the flip Before You Go R-503. It also has the Sax's Record Shop graffiti.

Anyone heard 505? Any good?

link

that'll be where the confusion arose...502 one side 503 t'other thumbsup.gif

can't say I've heard 505 off the top of my head...wouldn't mind a soundfile if anyone has one?

Edited by chalky
Social source share

"Benny Curtis - Precious One" did garner a little bit of interest around the "Stafford" era, which was when I bought mine, and is a nice little

"R & B" tinged mover. Resist 506 is:-

Loose Wig - I'm In Love With You Baby/I'll Always Love You Darlin'

This I can only describe as "Blues" with a bit (and I mean a bit) of a beat. The only other "Resist" track I know of, but never managed to hunt down is Jimmie Lee's thumping Male version of "sweet'en" which was played by Mr. Hennigan in the early 1980's, and more recently by Dean Anderson. Apologies for not being able to put up "Sound files", but doing this on the Children's Computer is as technical as I get!

DES

Social source share

"Benny Curtis - Precious One" did garner a little bit of interest around the "Stafford" era, which was when I bought mine, and is a nice little

"R & B" tinged mover. Resist 506 is:-

Loose Wig - I'm In Love With You Baby/I'll Always Love You Darlin'

This I can only describe as "Blues" with a bit (and I mean a bit) of a beat. The only other "Resist" track I know of, but never managed to hunt down is Jimmie Lee's thumping Male version of "sweet'en" which was played by Mr. Hennigan in the early 1980's, and more recently by Dean Anderson. Apologies for not being able to put up "Sound files", but doing this on the Children's Computer is as technical as I get!

DES

link

The male version of "Sweet'n", is by Wilbur Reynolds on C.B. (yellow label is the one to get), Jimmie Lee is the vocalist on the Resist version!

Social source share

Before this gets confused, by including the "C.B" label, there are Two versions of "Sweet'n" on Resist, one by Wilbur Reynolds on the flip of "Who'll Cry", which sounds "Female" to my Ears, and another release by "Jimmie Lee" which I've most definitely seen, and unless there's some kind of Hormonal imbalance going on, is most definitely a Male version. I concede that there may be another release on the "C.B." imprint, which I'd be interested in seeing.

Social source share

Before this gets confused, by including the "C.B" label, there are Two versions of "Sweet'n" on Resist, one by Wilbur Reynolds on the flip of "Who'll Cry", which sounds "Female" to my Ears, and another release by "Jimmie Lee" which I've most definitely seen, and unless there's some kind of Hormonal imbalance going on, is most definitely a Male version. I concede that there may be another release on the "C.B." imprint, which I'd be interested in seeing.

link

Wilbur Reynolds - Who'll Cry & Sweet N on Resist and Tenderizer in the sounds gallery.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Here we go......

Resist 507 Wilbur Reynolds featuring Jimmie Lee "Who'll Cry"/"Sweet'n", C/U as Carole Waller

CB (Yellow) Wilbur Reynolds "Sweet'n"/"Tenderizer", C/U as Benny Curtis "Sweet Thing" both at Stafford.

CB (Red) Wilbur Reynolds "Tenderizer"/ can't remember this side but, it's shit anyway.

that should clear things up.

Social source share

additions?

Not 100% sure of Dirty Hearts being released twice.  Did also hear of Cookie Jackson - Do You Still Love Me being released on Resist as well as Progress  :thumbsup:

link

To add to confusion I've also got another 45 on Resist 507

Marie Franklin Every night about midnight/I'll forget about you

don't know if this is the same Resist label?

Dazz

Social source share

just remembered... 503 flip..Before You Go also came out on Bridges (1104). Dunno if it's the flip to Benny Curtis with the Gene Mason Sextet - Make It Now - Bridges? Make it Now is the same as Benny C Oliver - on Ojobco..Guy's old Stafford cover up. To my ears the Benny Curtis on Bridges is Benny C Oliver.

Social source share

I think you are correct Chalky. What does the Ojobco 45 go for these days? Great soul record with an R&B edge. Used to play this alongside things like Tony Matthews on Convoy before the whole R&B revival took off.

link

Last one on e-bay went for $151.

Guys old Ray Agee cover up if I remember rightly.

Posted both versions in sounds in the versions section.

Social source share

just remembered... 503 flip..Before You Go  also came out on Bridges (1104).  Dunno if it's the flip to Benny Curtis with the Gene Mason Sextet - Make It Now - Bridges?  Make it Now is the same as Benny C Oliver - on Ojobco..Guy's old Stafford cover up.  To my ears the Benny Curtis on Bridges is Benny C Oliver.

link

Hi Chalky having both versions I can tell you teh are not identical. Although you` re right that thir voices sound at least very similar. But then again it shares a slightly different backing track.

Social source share

Hi Chalky having both versions I can tell you teh are not identical. Although you` re right that thir voices sound at least very similar. But then again it shares a slightly different backing track.

link

Hi Marc, I know they aren't identical and a differnet arrangement is used for backing but still think Benny C Oliver and Benny Curtis are one and the same...listen closely to certain words such as when he sings "Oh yes make it now".

It would be damn hard to convince me otherwise. Think you would need "both" singers to tell me I'm wrong personally thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Hi Marc, I know they aren't identical and a differnet arrangement is used for backing but still think Benny C Oliver and Benny Curtis are one and the same...listen closely to certain words such as when he sings "Oh yes make it now". 

It would be damn hard to convince me otherwise.  Think you would need "both" singers to tell me I'm wrong personally  :yes:

link

they are definitely one and the same , I agree with you :thumbsup:

Marc

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert