Wanted: Info On Loma's James 'lucky' Carmichael

I was going to post this in the forum 'people with Soul", but that appeared to be the place for Birthday shouts...

I've been trying to do a bit of digging around into the career of James 'Lucky' Carmichael. Although a blues artist, soul fans may remember him for his 1964 outing "Hey Girl" on Loma. He also recorded one-offs on Dille and Shar, and 'Hey Girl' / "Blues with a feeling" was originally released on Pam in 1962.

I appreciate that as a blues artist a soul forum is not necessarily the best place to go looking for information, but hey, you never know, and there are always Loma fans out there.

In attempting to research his background, the first thing you discover is that there is very little if any information available. I've managed to trace his musical career back to the first half of the 50s via a couple of newspaper clippings, but that's all. There are a number of online references to professional musicians who say they played with him early in their careers, but no insights or actual facts are offered. Further, there are a couple of mentions of him in music reference guides and in one biography that I've come across, but again, beyond the mention of his name, there's nothing added to the vague picture we have of him.

Carmichael's obituary was published in issue 55 of the magazine 'Living Blues' (Nov/Dec 1982), and I'm very keen to get hold of a copy. I've already contacted the publishers, but no luck. Any soul fans with an interest in the blues who just might have a copy of this issue tucked away in the attic?

If anyone's interested, I've done a bit of write-up at www.lomarecords.com - James 'Lucky' Carmichael , but that just reinforces how little I know about the man (although the scans of the 1950's news clippings I've dug up are yet to be added).

Can anyone offer any further insight into this long-forgotten artist?

All help appreciated.

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I was going to post this in the forum 'people with Soul", but that appeared to be the place for Birthday shouts...

I've been trying to do a bit of digging around into the career of James 'Lucky' Carmichael. Although a blues artist, soul fans may remember him for his 1964 outing "Hey Girl" on Loma. He also recorded one-offs on Dille and Shar, and 'Hey Girl' / "Blues with a feeling" was originally released on Pam in 1962.

I appreciate that as a blues artist a soul forum is not necessarily the best place to go looking for information, but hey, you never know, and there are always Loma fans out there.

In attempting to research his background, the first thing you discover is that there is very little if any information available. I've managed to trace his musical career back to the first half of the 50s via a couple of newspaper clippings, but that's all. There are a number of online references to professional musicians who say they played with him early in their careers, but no insights or actual facts are offered. Further, there are a couple of mentions of him in music reference guides and in one biography that I've come across, but again, beyond the mention of his name, there's nothing added to the vague picture we have of him.

Carmichael's obituary was published in issue 55 of the magazine 'Living Blues' (Nov/Dec 1982), and I'm very keen to get hold of a copy. I've already contacted the publishers, but no luck. Any soul fans with an interest in the blues who just might have a copy of this issue tucked away in the attic?

If anyone's interested, I've done a bit of write-up at www.lomarecords.com - James 'Lucky' Carmichael , but that just reinforces how little I know about the man (although the scans of the 1950's news clippings I've dug up are yet to be added).

Can anyone offer any further insight into this long-forgotten artist?

All help appreciated.

he's from chicago, he had a ton of records on different chicago labels, there were a few more besides the ones you mentioned already, I can look when I get home if you want, but the two you mentioned are chicago labels.

Social source share

Really? That would be very much appreciated.

I know that he settled in Chicago, and the three unique 45s I'm aware of all come from there (with Pam Records being owned by Bill 'Bunky' Shepperd, I believe). How 'Hey Girl' / 'Blues with a feeling' a New Orleans sound recorded in Chicago ended up being re-released by the Los Angeles based Loma label is bit of a mystery. As mentioned in the short write-up I've done, I reckon it's because Bob Krasnow, Loma's general manager, was trying to cash in on the nascent Blues Revival, bearing in mind that two Blues 'legend's' Son House and Skip James, had both been tracked down (some would say 'hunted') and rescued from their decades-long obscurity by Blues fanatics in the summer of '64. 'Hey girl', a song done in a style that was well out of fashion in 'pop' terms, came out in the November of that same year.

I know that Carmichael was born in Harrodsburg, Kentucky, and travelled the country for many years before settling in Chicago. He ended up in Cincinnati, and died there in 1982, aged either 80 or 60 depending on who you believe!

Anything that helps adds to the very little that is known about Mr 'Lucky' Carmichael would be very much welcomed.

Social source share

Really? That would be very much appreciated.

I was wrong. I thought I had another 45 by him on another label. However it was just dillie. I didn't know it was dillie, however, because it had a "THANKS MUCH, BILL SHEPPARD" sticker covering up the label. Sorry for the misinformation. The only records I own by him are on shar, loma, and I guess dillie (now that I know the label), and I just saw the Pam one go through ebay the other day. Sorry again for the misinformation. Thanks.

Social source share

No problem. Thanks for looking. Yes, I saw the one on eBay recently and foolishly let it pass me by! Next time...

Think I amy have got the one on Ebay, cracking records in fantastic condition

Social source share

No problem. Thanks for looking. Yes, I saw the one on eBay recently and foolishly let it pass me by! Next time...

unrelated, but i think i have a weird red foxx ep promotional ep on loma with like 2 tracks on each side that's not listed on most discographies, i can try to dig it up if you need the listing

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert