Charles Johnson

Douglas

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

For me the last 40 seconds of Charles Johnson are some of the most soulful moments from any 70s soul record...if not the best!

Chris

Agreed Chris, one of the best endings ever & probably only matched by Daybreak - I Need Love & Willie Fisher - Put Your Loving On Me.

Word of warning though. Heard quite a few Charles Johnsons that are off centre so tread carefully.

Social source share

Most M- copies that turns up of this on eBay sell for £200-£250, and it turns up frequently.

Lesser condition copies usually sell for less.

Here are some prices from this year:

2009-09-20 - 385 USD

2009-07-12 - 160 GBP

2009-06-08 - 412 USD

2009-04-26 - 367 USD

2009-01-11 - 422 USD

2009-01-09 - 368 USD

Social source share

Most M- copies that turns up of this on eBay sell for £200-£250, and it turns up frequently.

Lesser condition copies usually sell for less.

Here are some prices from this year:

2009-09-20 - 385 USD

2009-07-12 - 160 GBP

2009-06-08 - 412 USD

2009-04-26 - 367 USD

2009-01-11 - 422 USD

2009-01-09 - 368 USD

this is true sebastian but most northern soul records turn up frequently on ebay but dealers wouldnt sell them for those prices

dave

Social source share

350 to 400 uk

Chris

Chris, that was maybe two years ago when there was a huge demand for it.

I recall Edu from Barcelona having trouble recently to get rid of his copy @ 250 or was it 275?

I'd say 250 or 300 max if buyer is really desperate. I sold my copy a few weeks ago for 250 and wouldn't pay more for it. Not really rare as already said, I had 2-3 copies over the years, none of them off center

Social source share

For me the last 40 seconds of Charles Johnson are some of the most soulful moments from any 70s soul record...if not the best!

Chris

those 40 secs are the best part of the whole song! :wink:

Why on earth they never issued a 12" of it. If I could go back in time I'd say the folks at Alston ditch the Lew Kirton 12" and go for Charles Johnson instead.

Social source share

and just why is it so expensive I ask? It can't be that rare surely.

Psmile.gif

I remember years ago hearing that there were distribution problems as Alston was on its last legs, but David Hudson had releases either side of Charles Johnson, which are cheap as chips so that may put the kybosh on that theory. It could be due to David Hudson being the "Bigger Star" in the labels eyes that they put all their effort promoting him rather than Charles Johnson. I would have thought there were bucket loads of every Alston release.

Why on earth they never issued a 12" of it. If I could go back in time I'd say the folks at Alston ditch the Lew Kirton 12" and go for Charles Johnson instead.

I really like the 12" of Lew Kirton better than the 7", its got an extra verse....

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!