Ebay Asking For Your View On Recent Changes

funkyfeet

I have just completed ebay feedback on changes to their services, including the changes to the P&P changes, if you have had the following link emailed to you then please complete it, you never know they just might see the light and reverse the Postal changes, they are asking about the impact the changes have on your listings, and cover the free P&P so you can get your complaint in.

https://survey.ebay.c...urce=gH4crI5DAM

Edited by funkyfeet
Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just filled in the survey - but can't imagine it'll make ANY difference. But made me feel slightly better. I'm sure the only reason Ebay have surveys is to see if they're missing a trick and can make even MORE money somehow. Like asking what sites you planned to use instead... why bother telling them, so they can try and kill them off too?!

Social source share

Just filled in the survey - but can't imagine it'll make ANY difference. But made me feel slightly better. I'm sure the only reason Ebay have surveys is to see if they're missing a trick and can make even MORE money somehow. Like asking what sites you planned to use instead... why bother telling them, so they can try and kill them off too?!

Thanks for filling the form, the more who do the better, if we don't respond then they get a free field, and we can't really moan.

Social source share

When they Increased the Shops Monthly Fee, I started to fill a survey out, only to be disappointed / disillusioned.

The questionnaire was set out in such a way that I only had multi choice answers, nothing there to let them know how I really felt.

I stopped in the end, they appeared to me to be steering the answers always in a positive way for them.

I will definitely have a look at the LINK and see if they have change the format.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

In the last hour I have put my first Records to sell on ebay and when I got

to the postage bit I went on the postage calculator to work the costings out for UK , Europe

& the USA so i could just charge what it was going to cost me (no extra !) but when I

came to submit it told me that I can't charge for P & P, is this right ?? wanker.gif

So my first ever 3 sales on ebay are free P&P.

any info much appreciated to this ebay virgin

Cheers

Swifty

Social source share

In the last hour I have put my first Records to sell on ebay and when I got

to the postage bit I went on the postage calculator to work the costings out for UK , Europe

& the USA so i could just charge what it was going to cost me (no extra !) but when I

came to submit it told me that I can't charge for P & P, is this right ?? wanker.gif

So my first ever 3 sales on ebay are free P&P.

any info much appreciated to this ebay virgin

Cheers

Swifty

ebay have just changed stuff this week. my sales that ended today were ok but if i were to list some more today i`d have to pay the p& p myself so its goodbye to the 99p auction start and free listings

dave

Social source share

ame='dave pinch' date='24 October 2009 - 05:56 PM' timestamp='1256399807' post='1178452']

Dave , so basically you put the postage (Most expensive option) in to the selling price of the record that's ok?

surely that then fooks up UK buyers then ('scuse me ignorrace had a few bevviesthumbsup.gif

thats pretty much it now swifty. i`ll list stuff at £2.50 minimum from now on to cover post and listing fees. thatll be for scraps and the stuff you`ll drag round forever mind. but you could relist the 99p stuff forever, free and eventually it would sell. now its not worth listing em more than a couple of times. and i will use the usa site for better stuff dont think they`ve changed policy yet

dave

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

thats pretty much it now swifty. i`ll list stuff at £2.50 minimum from now on to cover post and listing fees. thatll be for scraps and the stuff you`ll drag round forever mind. but you could relist the 99p stuff forever, free and eventually it would sell. now its not worth listing em more than a couple of times. and i will use the usa site for better stuff dont think they`ve changed policy yet

dave

this is an good idea, but I´m in doubt about that you´ll get the money for the record plus the cash for postage. A record which costs usualy 20quid will now not sell for 22quid just because the postage is including. You know how the human brain is working. If you talk with someone about record prices he will always tell you what he paid for a record, no matter if he bought it in a store or an event without paying postage or via shipping from a dealer with paying postage. Paying postage is a part of the deal, but not important enough to think about it for most of the people. Ebay is now trying to get fees not only for the item as before, now they trying to get fees for item plus postage and they try to keep away cheap stuff from their servers, but I´m quite sure they piss in their own pool with that action, because sellers will sell less as before and therewith back to the human brain, people looking for a record and its price and if you now try a record to sell about "buy it now" for 52.49 which was before 49.99 than is it absolutely different working on peoples brain, no matter if there is a postage incl. or not and you will sell less as before.

Social source share

Example of selling 99p record before and after changes

For this exercise lets say the actual cost of recorded post plus mailer is £1.50

Before

You list at £0.99 and post £1.50 this was free of charge to list.

You sell it for £0.99 so you pay ebay £0.10 and paypal fee £0.28

So you actually get £0.61 for your record.

Now

You list at £2.49 with free post this costs £0.10

You sell it for £2.49 so you pay ebay £0.25 and paypal fee £0.28

So you actually get £0.36 for your record.

So now ebay have just increased there profit by 40% at the sellers cost.

If you list on .com you have to deliver in the USA free.

If you listed on Gemm for £0.99 plus £1.50 post they don't charge for listing and take a straight 13% commission so you would get £0.66 for your record.

Netsoundsmusic don't charge for listing and take 5% if you take care of the payment yourself. Not as well known as Gemm but good site if the UK is your market.

Edited by firefly
Social source share

Gemm now charges sellers a whopping 13% and as far as I can tell, if you want paying in sterling |(from gemm) you either have to convert a dollar cheque at your bank (can't remember if most banks charge for this but I suspect they do), or get them to pay you by paypal in which case you'll be hit by paypal fees on top!

Social source share

Gemm now charges sellers a whopping 13% and as far as I can tell, if you want paying in sterling |(from gemm) you either have to convert a dollar cheque at your bank (can't remember if most banks charge for this but I suspect they do), or get them to pay you by paypal in which case you'll be hit by paypal fees on top!

Maybe GEMM is not the way forward then.:mellow:

Social source share

It's all there for a well backed investor with several million quid to invest and a rock solid business plan (as well as a top class web engineering and design team) to really put a hole in ebay's earnings by providing a competitive platform for sellers and buyers to trade, that will convince sellers to shift their auction and store business away from ebay. Problem is, if it hasn't happened already there's probably a damned good reason - ebay's market share grip seen as too strong and possibly music/records not seen as a lucrative enough market to be the focus for a solely music based marketplace? Plus convincing sellers to ditch ebay with it's high visibility in favour of a new, unknown entity may prove the hardest job...mind you, it probably wouldn't be hard to undercut them and get rid of some of their appalling policies in a new selling/buying platform. I don't know, but ebay do seem more and more to be trying to drive sellers away. Dragon's Den stuff, this :yes:

Social source share

They're a business they HAVE to increase their profits every year.

That's how capitalism works.

The only form of protest they would take note of is loss of business.

If the service they provide isn't worth the money don't buy it.

It like moaning about the cost of records, the option to auction stuff through ebay is worth as much as you the users are willing to pay.

Social source share

eBid (although not having the same clout as eBay) is a good alternative.

£50 for LIFE membership and FREE listings. You can open a shop and don't get charged for the pleasure and once you list an item it can stay listed until sold and doesn't cost you anything extra.

Final selling fee on an item is 4% i think and you can request payment by CASH, CHEQUE, PAYPAL or lots of other services.

Oh yeah...and you can charge P+P if YOU want to and not because your told you can't !!!

Just a much fairer system in my opinion with much more choice.

Only downside is the amount of 'passing traffic' is not the same as eBay's but it seems to be growing each day and also more disillusioned eBay sellers are jumping ship so more choice too!

Social source share

Had an ebid account for years but not really used it, I think I'll start using and driving my customers there, the more people who do this the more it will get used. All soul-sourcers should consider it as an alternative, we all use it then it just might work against ebay.thumbup.gif

Edited by funkyfeet
Social source share

Don't know if anybody has mentioned it before. But I already noticed on german Ebay the first sellers trying to get around the free post thing by listing an item "pick up only" and then saying the description if you want the record sent to you you'll have to pay say 1.50 Euro. Another loophole might be that you have to offer free post but you're also free to charge a reasonable surplus handling fee...

Anyway, I think Ebay really screwed it up this time wanker.gif

Edited by Benji
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert