• Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Johnny Mack

Lee

For what its worth, I've seen the white demo offered at set-sale for 350 twice in the past three years and in both cases it sold instantly - its a hard record to turn up and makes me think its undervalued at that price.

Plus, let's not forget you get the brilliant "Switchy walk" on the other side.

Mr Manship auctioned a demo not too long ago and if memory serves me right it ended at around 650.

Best

John

Hi,

Is anyone up to speed with the current value of Sidney Barnes - I hurt on the other side - Blue Cat 125, in both DJ and Issue formats, assume Mint Minus. Manship has 250 for the Dj and 500 for the Issue, but as the market place is up and down, what's the real deal?

Cheers, Lee

Social source share

Lee

For what its worth, I've seen the white demo offered at set-sale for 350 twice in the past three years and in both cases it sold instantly - its a hard record to turn up and makes me think its undervalued at that price.

Plus, let's not forget you get the brilliant "Switchy walk" on the other side.

Mr Manship auctioned a demo not too long ago and if memory serves me right it ended at around 650.

Best

John

Hi John, thank you, one things for certain book price does not do much for the rarity of this 45. The background is, I sold my copy (Scan below) a couple of years back, which I got from Anglo American about 10 years ago, biggest mistake I have made bar selling on Karmello Brooks, Purple Mundi and Melvin Davis, Wheel City.

I had not seen the 2 for set sale you mentioned, but was aware of the auction copy, not end price. In fact I sold min weeks before, so I was gutted to see it up for auction, who knows someone may have taken it from me to make a fast buck? I agree the demo is definitely worth more than the book price, although I doubt a set sale of 650 would ever be achievable as John's auctions do attract lots of attention and of course credit card bidding!

After a couple of years of beating myself up I may just have turned up another copy but at this stage I am not sure if its a DJ or Issue copy, the latter would be a prize and a half, as I have never seen any proof of the Issues existance. Of course I'd be delighted if someone were to post a scan or confirm owning one, but I think it's an assumption they exist.

I suppose the next question is does anyone have an Issue, and even more intriguing has anyone ever had a copy of the same title on the Red Bird label? May well have been in discogs but once again were's the proof. I've never seen hide nor hair of either the Blue Cat Issue or Red Bird release of "I hurt on the otherside", in fanzines, on websites, auctions, sales lists or CD liners.

In a matter of days, I'll be better informed one way or the other.

Regards, Lee

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

I've been after this for ages and I agree its got to be very hard. The fact that there are none on Popsike is testament to that. Pat Brady auctioned one about 18 months or 2 years ago and I thought I'd gone high at 500 but I was slaughtered - it went for 700. Demo of course.

Cheers

Pete

Social source share

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The demo John Auctioned was mine which i had been in my collection for quite a long time....

A friend of mine who,s on soul-source bought another demo couple months ago for £200 at a soul nite here in the Northwest which was vg +

Regarding the REDBIRD 45 ive never seen a copy or know of anyone who has and ive been collecting rare soul since

the 60,s...................

XX Ian Cunliffe

Edited by IANCSLOFT
Social source share

The blue cat issues do exist,had one years ago which came from Tim Finch,sold it years ago so no scan,the red bird one was never issued,there was an acetate knocking about years ago,slightly different arrangement if i remember right

in the seventies I sold records to a guy in Australia who was a Blue Cat / Red Bird collector, he sent me a photostat of the "I Hurt On The Other Side" on Red Bird as I said I'd never seen one (still haven't). This had been provided to him allegedly by a USA collector and it was his top want.

I vividly remember, the now long-lost Photostat unfortunately I no longer deal with the Ozzy who collected the label. But I presume it to exist on the basis, that I doubt the photostat was a mock-up it was clean and clear i had no reason to doubt it. I can't be the only guy to have seen this image, so a little web investigate should throw more light on it. Perhaps even turn up the image.

PS on value of Blue Cat press I bought a copy at the Dells UK concert for £150 off Jody. Sold it a couple of years later @ £250 since then we auctioned copy for Cunnie and it achieved £690 this will be reflected in Price guide six. The stock copy would achieve much much more, as I've only had one copy and that was over 30 years ago..

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert