Hollingwood Hotel, Staveley, Chesterfield

As an 18 year old this was the venue that I first got my taste of Northern Soul. I'm surprised to see that there isn't much on here about this great venue. I even ended up doing a short set with my brother...dipping my toes in one of my first Northern DJ'ing gigs. I'll never forget these two tunes that will always remind me of this much missed night!

Lamont Dozier- Why can't we be lovers

Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes- Get out

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

• 4 months later...

I was one of the residents there along with Rob Wigley and John Kingan, Keith, Dave and Graham Manlove at various times. Great venue with some great guests over the years. Think I packed in Djing mid 90's, 94? Came back for the anniversaries. Used to have the all-dayers in the summer and and oldies special if I remember rightly at the end of the year.

Social source share

Guest biggray1
thumbsup.gifThis venue got me back on the scene,relegated myself around1980 due too family and work commitments,allway a great nite at Hollingwood,it should be started again..Please. thumbsup.gif
Social source share

Also picked up some very nice 45s at the Hollingwood:D when crossover was emerging and bargins could be picked up (Primbrock Skiggs £2). Who was the old boy on the door?

Happy days

BH

Used to call him Curly. I only ever saw him at the venue but the Manlove's knew him better. Keith might tell you more if he reads this.

Social source share

Guest Northern PhanTom

Used to call him Curly. I only ever saw him at the venue but the Manlove's knew him better. Keith might tell you more if he reads this.

Did travel up a few times but can't put a year on when, don't think it was when you were 18 though Chalky, laugh.gif

First time I can remember seeing you out and about was Trotter's in Mansfield and you didnt look too

old then, but I'm sure you will put me right on age and dates. biggrin.gif

Atb,

Tom. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Did travel up a few times but can't put a year on when, don't think it was when you were 18 though Chalky, laugh.gif

First time I can remember seeing you out and about was Trotter's in Mansfield and you didnt look too

old then, but I'm sure you will put me right on age and dates. biggrin.gif

Atb,

Tom. thumbsup.gif

I was given a photo by Karen (darlington or somewhere like that) of me in Mansfield in 1987, was in Mansfield and I presume trotters. Nige Parker in the photo too and few others, bit of Gary Churm and couple of Chesterfield lads. I'll scan it when I get the chance....I look about 15 :thumbup:

As for Hollingwood, I've some of the anniversary stuff somewhere in the garage, car sticker etc, I'll check it and that will give the dates when it started.

Social source share

Guest Northern PhanTom

I was given a photo by Karen (darlington or somewhere like that) of me in Mansfield in 1987, was in Mansfield and I presume trotters. Nige Parker in the photo too and few others, bit of Gary Churm and couple of Chesterfield lads. I'll scan it when I get the chance....I look about 15 laugh.gif

As for Hollingwood, I've some of the anniversary stuff somewhere in the garage, car sticker etc, I'll check it and that will give the dates when it started.

Thats right you did look rather young back in those days!!! Never used to be a big fan of soul nights back then,

usually went straight to a nighter but Trotter's was the exception, that said until Chris Anderton kicked of

Bretby and all of a sudden (as it does) it was the "in" place to go, well underated and lacks acclaim imo.

Mind you don't think Chris had any idea how big it was gonna get back at the start!!!

Tom thumbsup.gif

Social source share

• 6 months later...
Guest Soul Shelley

Curly is kieth and grahams dad or grandad i think great man!!

Social source share

Your right he was top man, he enjoyed the nights as much as anyone. He must have been granddad, wasn't there dad I don't think, spent many a time at Grahams.

Great memories of the Hollingwood.

Cant remember the exact time but must have been late 80's early 90's when there was not a lot going on in Sheffield and we would regularly take a Friday night trip down to the Holingwood.

I do remember Graham Weaver a great laugh back then ( and still is) who recommended a soul night in Chessie town centre that turned out to be at a gay club, great soul night but more like the Blue oyster bar when the wine bar downstairs turned out at the back end of the night. All leather caps and poppers

Also remember Jarvis who was a fantastic dancer, and I'm sure Al Taylors Jackie was a regular back then.

Other memories are that it was absolutely rammed, hot and sweaty and a packed dancefloor, dancing to sounds such as Oh my darling and Ive been blessed. Think that your love is my love was a top tune there as well.

Had some great times at the Hollingwood.....happy days!

Martin

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Great memories of the Hollingwood.

Cant remember the exact time but must have been late 80's early 90's when there was not a lot going on in Sheffield and we would regularly take a Friday night trip down to the Holingwood.

I do remember Graham Weaver a great laugh back then ( and still is) who recommended a soul night in Chessie town centre that turned out to be at a gay club, great soul night but more like the Blue oyster bar when the wine bar downstairs turned out at the back end of the night. All leather caps and poppers

Also remember Jarvis who was a fantastic dancer, and I'm sure Al Taylors Jackie was a regular back then.

Other memories are that it was absolutely rammed, hot and sweaty and a packed dancefloor, dancing to sounds such as Oh my darling and Ive been blessed. Think that your love is my love was a top tune there as well.

Had some great times at the Hollingwood.....happy days!

Martin

The gay bar was below the Conservative Club I think, down a side street near the County Hotel on Saltergate.

Jarvis Ellis, knew his brother who did the doors in Chesterfield. Was talking to Will Palmer other day and Jarvis name cropped up, he's still about places in town.

I've been Blessed, I used to spin at that time, red vinyl it was too.

Social source share

The gay bar was below the Conservative Club I think, down a side street near the County Hotel on Saltergate.

Jarvis Ellis, knew his brother who did the doors in Chesterfield. Was talking to Will Palmer other day and Jarvis name cropped up, he's still about places in town.

I've been Blessed, I used to spin at that time, red vinyl it was too.

Hi Chalky,

It was the Hollingwood that really put me onto the Bobby Taylor track.....thanks for that mate.

Still see jarvis at places like Barrow Hill and he can still do the moves.

Martin

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert