Alternate Takes

Ever been surprised to find that there's another version of your favourite track, thats at least as good. Here's a couple of alternative versions for starters.

All comments appreciated, but mp3s are much better........otherwise its as much fun as a trip to the library.

Col.

Social source share

• Replies 59
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest GrooveJunkies

Colin check out the new Marvin Gaye mix

lets get it on//Marvin Gaye//daproducersmpg grove mix

superb track you can pick it up in HMV in the vinyl section £6.99''''12"

its called Motown volume 3 chill remixed

all the best driza

Social source share

Colin check out the new Marvin Gaye mix

lets get it on//Marvin Gaye//daproducersmpg grove mix

superb track you can pick it up in      HMV    in the vinyl section £6.99''''12"

its called Motown volume 3 chill remixed

all the best driza

link

Cheers for that John - hope the DJing went well sat nite (have sent you a PM)

Should have mentioned the above tracks were "You Didn't Say A Word" & "I Can't Change"

What about this for an alt version of "Lets Stay Together"

For all those people watching this thread, but not commenting let me say it would be a better thread if you chipped in.

Col :lol:

Social source share

Cheers for that John - hope the DJing went well sat nite (have sent you a PM)

Should have mentioned the above tracks were "You Didn't Say A Word" & "I Can't Change"

What about this for an alt version of "Lets Stay Together"

For all those people watching this thread, but not commenting let me say it would be a better thread if you chipped in.

Col :lol:

link

Jean Cearn & Bobby M;Gordy, for me Mr Soulsmith how about you,do you like this version.... :lol:

Social source share

Some one was trying to flog me a version of Sam Moulters I'll always love you at the last Wilton and i liked that a lot but i was spent up by then, carnt remember the artist but it was on Delite records anbody name the artist I would apprechate it or flog me a copy :lol::lol:

Gonna start taking a note book and pencil out with me as my heads not working like it used to :lol:

Is that sad or what ?? :)

Social source share

Some one was trying to flog me a version of Sam Moulters I'll always love you at the last Wilton and i liked that a lot  but i was spent up by then, carnt remember the artist but it was on Delite records anbody name the artist I would apprechate it or flog me a copy :lol:   :lol:

Gonna start taking a note book and pencil out with me as my heads not working like it used to :lol:

link

Felton Burke on Delite. Good version too. I'll try and dig it out. I also like the Marge Joseph version of" Let's stay...." on Atlantic

Regards,

Dave

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Some one was trying to flog me a version of Sam Moulters I'll always love you at the last Wilton and i liked that a lot  but i was spent up by then, carnt remember the artist but it was on Delite records anbody name the artist I would apprechate it or flog me a copy :lol:   :lol:

Gonna start taking a note book and pencil out with me as my heads not working like it used to :)

link

Sam Moultries as done the said record twice,first the obvious 6ts cut,then again in the 7ts its quiet hard to find and is very nice,sold me last one for £40,this is not the version you looking for is it? :lol:

Social source share

Felton Burke on Delite. Good version too. I'll try and dig it out. I also like the Marge Joseph version of" Let's stay...." on Atlantic

Regards,

Dave

link

Some would say his sirname was fitting :lol::lol::lol:

Social source share

Sam Moultries as done the said record twice,first the obvious 6ts cut,then again in the 7ts its quiet hard to find and is very nice,sold me last one for £40,this is not the version you looking for is it? :lol:

link

No mate but will keep my eye out for it :lol:

Social source share

Jean Cearn & Bobby M;Gordy, for me Mr Soulsmith how about you,do you like this version.... :lol:

link

Regret Ken, I don't know it. Do you have an MP3?

Dave,

Cheers for comments on Margie Joseph. Always good to get some feed back ... pos or neg!

If its neg, at least I'll get a good argument :lol:

Regret not heard - Felton Burke on Delite. Do you have an MP3?

Social source share

There you go, I'm not to up on the MPs soundfiles on this site, but I'll have a go shortly. Lots of Alt - Vers are worth a listen. Could be a good thread this.

Regards,

Dave

link

so you dont want to flog it ?

Social source share

link

take your camera phone and take a picture 'it work for me then you've got record numbers labels etc and don't forget to take the b side as well when you can't find it it gives you something to dream about

Social source share

Dave,

Cheers for comments on Margie Joseph. Always good to get some feed back ... pos or neg!

link

Sorry Col,i will have a go later,do i load my mp3 to my photos/music then when i

add a reply bring up music file saved in my photos/music and add? :lol:

Social source share

Bobby womack California Dreaming A great cover of a pop song dont Know if anybody got the bottle to play it out its a shame as it a good soulful 70s tune shame it was a hit

Social source share

Bobby womack California Dreaming A great cover of a pop song dont Know if anybody got the bottle to play it out its a shame as it a good soulful 70s tune shame it was a hit

link

Few versions going round of this by soul artists.. :lol:

Social source share

:lol: May Satan my soul and stomp it to dust should I even fleetingly consider releasing any of the liccleblackshinyfingswotIluvs+treasures for some paltry peices of tainted silver. :lol:

Regards,

Dave

link

You dont want to think about it then :lol:

Social source share

take your camera phone and take a picture 'it work for me then you've got record numbers labels etc and don't forget to take the b side as well  when you can't find it it gives you something to dream about

link

And this advice from somebody who can't burn a cd.

This is what you should be dreaming about.

Col.

post-1219-1122242352_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Best alt version of this classic imo. Great pounding dancer. ProperNorven! :lol:

Regards,

Dave

link

Thought this was the version!get a job on other side! :lol:

Social source share

Dave, can I be frank?

The Corvairs......stick it where the sun don't shine.

The O'jays.....the record of the week for me. Brilliant :lol:

Col.

link

Col,

You can be Frank if you like, or Bernard, Fred, Albert, or any other sundry manlike moniker you choose! :lol:

Glad you liked the OJays. Corvairs is now firmly stuck in a dark dank hole! :lol:

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

I'm in love the song "I'm Back for More" Got it by Al Johnson & Jean Carn, Leo's Sunshipp, Marlena Shaw...any others out there? I'd like to know.

On the 6ts side of things, I absolutely HATE that version of "Baby Hit and Run" by the Contours that's on Cellarful of Soul V.1. The original Tamla Motown well-known version blows that away! What an utter waste of time. They could have put "Spellbound" by Martha and the Vandellas or some other thing on that disc.

Then there's those recycled backing tracks:

2. Lighten Up-Ty Karim

3. Go For Yourself-Larry Laster

4. Somebody Somewhere Needs You-Ike & Tina

Personally, I rate Ty Karim as the best vocal performance out of that lot. But Larry Laster seems pointless after the other two, I think. Ty Karim is a true "northern soul" artist.

Then "To Much"-Jimmy Conwell vs. "Bettin' On Love"-Len Jewell I'll take either one. Like 'em both.

As for "I Watched You Slowly Slip Away", I'm sticking with Howard Guyton's version. It's a much more sophisticated arrangement with top musicians. That was the nice thing about Verve. Even the pop records had top guys like Chick Correa and other jazz players on them. Just listen to that Howard Tate LP. Total class. Not taking away from Lou Courtney, cause he's great, but that little slab of Verve wax can't be beat.

KTF

Jas

Social source share

Have to agree on The O'Jays. I like their version best.

I really like the CD version of The Contours. There seems to be some confusion as to who the vocalist really is?

Definately Howrad Guyton over Lou Courtney - no contest.

Al and Jean for "I'm Back For More" (Jeans version of Martha Reeves "My Baby Loves Me" is really nice too and keep an ear out for a version by the Stovall Sisters) although theres a track by The Younghearts that sounds like the blueprint for "I'm Back For More" .

My vote goes to Cissy Houstons version of "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself"

Social source share

Guest remus

Best alt version of this classic imo. Great pounding dancer. ProperNorven! :lol:

Regards,

Dave

link

There is about as much Soul in this record as there is in my old socks! :angry:

Social source share

Are we talking same record same artist but different takes, same record different artist or same backing different vocals or any of these??? :lol:

How about The Look On Your Face...James Phelps, John Edwards, Satin, Nate Evans & Boss (or Mean Green) & Magnetics.....superb track :lol:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Dave,

link

Better still why dont have one £6 for yer 45;£10 for yer 12" :lol: got a couple.

Social source share

Guest remus

Are we talking same record same artist but different takes, same record different artist or same backing different vocals or any of these???  :lol:

How about The Look On Your Face...James Phelps, John Edwards, Satin, Nate Evans & Boss (or Mean Green) & Magnetics.....superb track  :lol:

link

beat me to it Chalky!, Johnny Le Mac gets my vote :lol:

Social source share

While flicking through the channels after the cricket yesterday I came across another alternate take on a classic. Wade In The water by Whoever the choir was on Songs of Praise. Is it true that Aled Jones has a spot at the forthcoming Cardiff Allnighter. :lol:

Paul

Social source share

Guest remus

While flicking through the channels after the cricket yesterday I came across another alternate take on a classic.  Wade In The water by Whoever the choir was on Songs of Praise.  Is it true that Aled Jones has a spot at the forthcoming Cardiff Allnighter. :lol:

Paul

link

Not sure about Aled dj'ing but can't be any more humiliating then haveing Levine on a flyer! :lol:

Social source share

The Chuck Jackson alternate version of 'Hand it Over' is a goodie. Difference is only slight on the "Let me know where I stand"

Also Terry Callier - Look at me now. Superb alternate version.

Sorry no sound files at the mo'. I'm at work :yes:

Social source share

Hear one for you lucky people :yes: ,Chris Montez;Sunny £0.80 carboot special,

better than B Hebb (B Herb in some cases),intrumentaly reminds me of R Lewis with big strong ending,would i ever play this out? dont know!!!,good enough to be

mentioned on here,piss allover yer`Chocolate boys & Bobby Hebb anyday.. :yes:

Social source share

Just walk in my shoes;The sweet insperations;Atlantic LP track.

Original ??

link

Excellent version which I think I came across on an old Atlantic sampler called Flying High. But Gladys is as close to soul perfection as it gets (for me).

Social source share

Guest rachel

Ever been surprised to find that there's another version of your favourite track, thats at least as good. Here's a couple of alternative versions for starters.

All comments appreciated, but mp3s are much better........otherwise its as much fun as a trip to the library.

Col.

link

Absolutely love Patti Austin's version of 'You Didn't Say A Word'.. looked for one for ages but seems to be hard to find.... I keep getting taunted by double-sided demos of the A side, 'Day By Day' :angry: There's supposed to be a version by someone else, possibly the original, but can't remember who at the moment.. .it's mentioned on the sleeve notes to an old compilation album...

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Absolutely love Patti Austin's version of 'You Didn't Say A Word'.. looked for one for ages but seems to be hard to find.... I keep getting taunted by double-sided demos of the A side, 'Day By Day'  :angry: There's supposed to be a version by someone else, possibly the original, but can't remember who at the moment.. .it's mentioned on the sleeve notes to an old compilation album...

link

jean wells

Davie

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Ever been surprised to find that there's another version of your favourite track, thats at least as good.

How about...

"Ever again" Bernie Williams / Gene Woodbury

"Why weren't you there" Thelma Lindsey / Barbara Jean & Lyrics

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert