Crossover

I've said this before, when discussing the Crossover thread. I think the original definition which Rod wrote about has long gone and morphed into something bigger. If you listen to quite a few tunes in the Crossover thread, to my ears they are more the old style Modern room tunes of the late 80's early 90's than the definition in voices. Saying that I don't actually think that its a bad thing as how can you call a tune modern when it's 35 years old and maybe categorising them all as crossover will allow Y2k+ tunes to be called modern which in my opinon they are.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

I think what James meant to write was something along the lines of:

"Why can't new spins that sounds like or are similar to The Crow etc. be accepted by those in positions of influence?"

I might be wrong though, but that is how I read it.

It is probably how I am reading it. Records like that are played though, Mick H plays his fair share of funky stuff, so does Karl Heard and others.

Trouble is records like the Crow aren't to everyone's taste, not back then and they won't be today.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I think what James meant to write was something along the lines of:

"Why can't new spins that sounds like or are similar to The Crow etc. be accepted by those in positions of influence?"

I might be wrong though, but that is how I read it.

At the venues i go to,i think they are.If the opposite is true,we've gone backwards by 35 years.The Crow of course is a unique record in the respect that it does tick the boxes for so many genres.

Social source share

Guest fryer

Look stop wasting your time on here and go on Ebay and bid on the 'Rare DEEEEEEEEEP Funk LP' I've got up for sale;)

funkadelic or ohio players :thumbsup:

Social source share

Later I'll put up some of the sounds Rod listed as crossover to give some additional perspective to the type of sound being championed in 1990. It is fair to say that "crossover" has expanded in it's definiton since then, probably because the venues that advertise themselves as promoting crossover tend to play a very broad range of sounds from the 60s through to some of the better more recent releases that have that 'feel'. To my ears something like "How could you break my heart" or Ed Summers "I can tell" wouldn't fall into my personal definition of "crossover", but they have of course been played at crossover venues, and maybe that's what matters.

If it helps Steve - here are some of them - might save you some typing - but that issue became one big 'Wants list' for me yes.gif, Mike

Nolan Chance – I'llNever Forget you – Thomas

Centre Stage –Someday, Someway/ Hey Lady – Dispo (RCA)

Steelers – Can't TakeThis Pain – Epic (10587)

Steelers – You Got Me Callin– Epic (10773)

Chuck Ray – I Don'tMind – Tam-Boo (6719)

Dorothy Johnson – IfIt Is Not Love Don't Waste My Time – Zot (521)

Albertina Walker –Mama Said ~Thank You – Caritas (Jewel)

Johnny Thompson –Giving Up On Love – Jay Tee (0087)

Burney Reynolds – TryMe – Surkar

Billy McGregor – ItsMy Turn Now – Mellotone

Billy McGregor – We'veBeen In Love Too Much – Palos

Johnny Moore – Thankyou Baby – Mercury

Johnny Moore – Just BeFor Real – Brunswick

Emanuel Laskey – Justthe Way (I Want Her To Be) – Music Now

Willie Charles Gray –I'm gonna Be A Winner – Mercury

Dramatics – Since I'veBeen In Love – Volt

Nate Adams – why Is ItTaking So Long – Atlantic

Sonny til – Tears& Misery RCA

Glenn Watts – MyLittle Plaything – Bunky

Quinn Harris – I'll AlwaysLove You – MLE (Willie Hutch?)

Promatics – I ThinkI'm going To Let you Go – Brown Door (309)

Relatives – LenientWith My Love – Archway

Bernie Moore – Oh No –ss1 (1003)

Timmy Shaw – I'mwilling To Love You – Starville (3903)

Kent Drake – BossThing together - Wand

Don't Give Up Hope - Bobby King & The Relations - Lunar 45

He's A Player - Willie Cager - Contact 45

I Need Your Lovin' - Gene Redding - Bell 45

I Was A Fool - Billy Easton - Dispo 45

Please Take This Heart Of Mine, Girl! - Showtime, Incorporated - Black Circle 45

Save It All For You - Lee Williams & The Symbols - Black Circle

So Much Better - Emmett Garner Jnr Maxwell

That's Why I Cry - George Hughley - Buddah

Why Can't This Time (be Like All The Other) - Billy Easton - Dispo

Your Love IS driving Me Crazy - Don Gardner - Mr G Records

Edited by Mike Lofthouse
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

If it helps Steve - here are some of them - might save you some typing - but that issue became one big 'Wants list' for me yes.gif, Mike

Thanks Mike - as I suspected some very midtempo sounds there and very much late 60s / early 70s - not too many obvious Mecca or northern spins in sight either.....I have re-read the article and it was this type of slower / midtempo sound that Rod was championing.

So it sounds like the music played as x-over have broadened over the years, but does that mean the definition was wrong, or that the sounds originally reviewed weren't sufficiently danceable enough to sustain the interest? :ohmy:

See you at Essence. :thumbsup:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Very true, Mike.

I remember (...in the very early 1990s?) when that article was published, I'd already had many of those kind of records but had previously found difficulty selling them to most people because they weren't "northern" or "modern" and yet they weren't "deep" either.

So I think the term was maybe influenced by record dealers as much as DJs?

Social source share

Here is a scan of the Voices article, I hope Rod doesn't mind....

Xover Page 1.pdf

Xover Page 2.pdf

Xover Page 3.pdf

Xover Page 4.pdf

Xover Page 5.pdf

Xover Page 6.pdf

Apologies for the highlighting....:wink:

And here's a bit of free advertising for the mag where its in

https://www.soulrecordsforsale.co.uk/acatalog/MAGAZINES.html

Xover Page 1.pdf

Xover Page 2.pdf

Xover Page 3.pdf

Xover Page 4.pdf

Xover Page 5.pdf

Xover Page 6.pdf

Social source share

• 1 month later...

I was cross over it first time i heard it, i was playing along with Cliff many great soul records, simply 'cause, they were good, and it was where my taste had reached prior to my stuff going!!!

Only catergory for me is......is it good???.......you can't make people like stuff, but when you are on a roll, and are tuned in , it can become in most cases , not all second nature to drop tune after tune that goes, its confidence and self belief, as in all life, sadly i am not onlt confident in my lack of confidence, thats why i stay awake all weekends so i dont never wake up on non work days...its worked so far!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!