Billy Arnell

Hi , just found a copy of Billy arnell-Tough girl on Holly, checked it out on popsike, looks like the original but on the B-side say's [ inst] but is vocal version , on run out groove scratched in say's holly 101, anybody know if its real or BOOT ? cheers Petethumbsup.gif

Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Originals have H 1001-A or H 1001-B scratched into deadwax. nothing more or less,boots were 101,i'm guessing yours is a boot with photocopy labels.

thanks for that, yet strange the holly leaves are different every thing else is the same.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Have put a picture of the 45 on Gallery, look where the holly leaves are , they are different from the orig, so it could'nt have been photo copied..or could it?g.gif

Other differences too. Look where the green passes thru 'Arnell" its different, and the 'tough girl' font is different too. Perhaps a photoshop job, which is more likely as the elements would have been in 'layers' and laid down separately, thereby giving the chance for 'em to be mis-aligned. The newark new jersey is too close to the Holly, as well. Any graphic designer would tell you the font spacings are all to cock. Easy way to tell, can you peel the label off! Originals are vinyl, the label will be moulded in, no way can you shift it! Something not 'right' about it. White is too 'white', no yellowing with age, like the scan of the orig. Green is off too, which leads me to believe it is more modern paper, which takes ink differently. You can't fake 1960's paper, even if you can fake the other elements. is If the plant ran out of labels, or had them from two different printers, the stamp would still read H 1001-A etc, not 101 like a boot. You also have then to account for the mis-press of the record itself, with two vocals on it. That would mean the plant set up the stampers with two vocal sides. For a little, self funded recording like Billy's, with a minimum run,I doubt they would have made more than one of each, as they are the expensive bit of the process. Try peeling the label, see what happens. It's a curious one, but the deadwax is the give away, unless someone knows different! Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Other differences too. Look where the green passes thru 'Arnell" its different, and the 'tough girl' font is different too. Perhaps a photoshop job, which is more likely as the elements would have been in 'layers' and laid down separately, thereby giving the chance for 'em to be mis-aligned. The newark new jersey is too close to the Holly, as well. Any graphic designer would tell you the font spacings are all to cock. Easy way to tell, can you peel the label off! Originals are vinyl, the label will be moulded in, no way can you shift it! Something not 'right' about it. White is too 'white', no yellowing with age, like the scan of the orig. Green is off too, which leads me to believe it is more modern paper, which takes ink differently. You can't fake 1960's paper, even if you can fake the other elements. is If the plant ran out of labels, or had them from two different printers, the stamp would still read H 1001-A etc, not 101 like a boot. You also have then to account for the mis-press of the record itself, with two vocals on it. That would mean the plant set up the stampers with two vocal sides. For a little, self funded recording like Billy's, with a minimum run,I doubt they would have made more than one of each, as they are the expensive bit of the process. Try peeling the label, see what happens. It's a curious one, but the deadwax is the give away, unless someone knows different!

If it's got the vocal on both sides and it's poor quality and slightly too fast - it's the 70's boot with a label stuck on it

Social source share

Other differences too. Look where the green passes thru 'Arnell" its different, and the 'tough girl' font is different too. Perhaps a photoshop job, which is more likely as the elements would have been in 'layers' and laid down separately, thereby giving the chance for 'em to be mis-aligned. The newark new jersey is too close to the Holly, as well. Any graphic designer would tell you the font spacings are all to cock. Easy way to tell, can you peel the label off! Originals are vinyl, the label will be moulded in, no way can you shift it! Something not 'right' about it. White is too 'white', no yellowing with age, like the scan of the orig. Green is off too, which leads me to believe it is more modern paper, which takes ink differently. You can't fake 1960's paper, even if you can fake the other elements. is If the plant ran out of labels, or had them from two different printers, the stamp would still read H 1001-A etc, not 101 like a boot. You also have then to account for the mis-press of the record itself, with two vocals on it. That would mean the plant set up the stampers with two vocal sides. For a little, self funded recording like Billy's, with a minimum run,I doubt they would have made more than one of each, as they are the expensive bit of the process. Try peeling the label, see what happens. It's a curious one, but the deadwax is the give away, unless someone knows different!

thanks for all that onfo, tried peeling off label, wont come off, like i said it say's in run out groove Holly 101

on both sides, general question ,would paper yellow even if 45 was all this time in sleeve & kept in box? Cheers Pete

Social source share

Guest Trevski

thanks for all that onfo, tried peeling off label, wont come off, like i said it say's in run out groove Holly 101

on both sides, general question ,would paper yellow even if 45 was all this time in sleeve & kept in box? Cheers Pete

The answer is yes. Pick up any book from the 60's even if it's never been opened, paper ages. It will be off-white and brittle. Can we have a better pic? the one you put up is a bit blurred. Especially a shot of the label edge, and the deadwax markings.

Social source share

The answer is yes. Pick up any book from the 60's even if it's never been opened, paper ages. It will be off-white and brittle. Can we have a better pic? the one you put up is a bit blurred. Especially a shot of the label edge, and the deadwax markings.

Hi could'nt upload new scan, but got it on my facebook , Peter oughton.

Social source share

• 7 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!