Pat Powdrill

Mike

• 6 years later...
Guest brummiemick

First and foremost I love Northern Soul (and Soul Music in general) because of how it seems to flick a switch inside me like no other music. Don't get me wrong my taste in music is quite eclectic and very broad; Puccini to Hendrix. However for me Soul is more than just the music, I love the history, connections between artistes, development, politics and so on.

As my knowledge is limited this site is like a proverbial goldmine when it comes to learning about Northern and the broader soul scene. However for a novice (but no spring chicken) it is also quite intimidating to be in the company of so many people with such encyclopaedic knowledge, who have been there, done it, bought the t-shirt etc. I know that these same people are very giving of their knowledge but at the same time, I want too learn and not be viewed as a pain in the arse with 101 questions.

So to get to my point. I spend a lot of time going round in circles on Google trying to find more information about the less famous Artistes, their history, music etc and wondered if I (and maybe other novices) could use a single thread to ask questions? Would anybody (especially the site owners) object if this thread could be used to discuss & research specific and generally more obscure artistes? Obviously is this isnt acceptable, or the ways things are done, please let me know and I'll lock the thread

For example I often browse You Tube looking for Northern Soul I haven't heard. Recently I came across a track i loved called Do It, by Pat Powdrill. Although I had heard of her, I knew little of her output or background. I have subsequently learnt that she was a member of the Ikettes and backed Ike & Tina Turner. Tracks I have heard; Together forever, I can't hear you (brilliant, fast pace!), Happy Anniversary, I only came to dance with you (written by PJ Proby)

Were there other records, any albums, is any of her stuff considered rare, can anyone tell me anything more about her life/career - did she ever come to the UK - is she still living?

Cheers Mick

Edited by brummiemick
Social source share

There used to be a sort of detailed story about Pat Powdrill on Spectropop. She was from LA. She died in 1995 and was in the Ikettes and Mirettes after her solo records. Here are the solo records I know of:

Reprise 20,166 - Fell By The Wayside (fg) / I Only Came To Dance With You (63)

Downey 139 - I Can't Hear You / Do It (3/67)

(below as Pat Powdrill & The Powerdrills)

Downey 141 - Together Forever / They Are The Lonely (6/67)

Here is the spectropop interview, it's long and probably has answers to all your questions:

https://www.spectropo...drill/index.htm

Edited by boba
Social source share

So to get to my point. I spend a lot of time going round in circles on Google trying to find more information about the less famous Artistes, their history, music etc and wondered if I (and maybe other novices) could use a single thread to ask questions? Would anybody (especially the site owners) object if this thread could be used to discuss & research specific and generally more obscure artistes? Obviously is this isnt acceptable, or the ways things are done, please let me know and I'll lock the thread

For example I often browse You Tube looking for Northern Soul I haven't heard. Recently I came across a track i loved called Do It, by Pat Powdrill. Although I had heard of her, I knew little of her output or background. I have subsequently learnt that she was a member of the Ikettes and backed Ike & Tina Turner. Tracks I have heard; Together forever, I can't hear you (brilliant, fast pace!), Happy Anniversary, I only came to dance with you (written by PJ Proby)

Were there other records, any albums, is any of her stuff considered rare, can anyone tell me anything more about her life/career - did she ever come to the UK - is she still living?

Cheers Mick

on the point about one thread

it would work better if you just use a separate thread for each artist in the box forum rather than one catch all

also may pay to use the search feature on here as that may help you find info already available

there is an article about Pat Powdrill and Nick Risi here

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/articles/soul-articles/pat-powdrill-and-nick-risi-the-story-r2092

Social source share

PAT POWDRILL

Pat Powdrill (born Birmingham, Alabama --- died 11-April-1996 --- cause: ?)

Reprise 20,166 - I Only Came To Dance With You / Fell By The Wayside - 1963

Reprise 20,204 - Happy Anniversary / I Forgot More Than You'll Ever Know - 1963

Reprise 0286 - Breaking Point / Luckiest Girl In Town - 1964

Downey 139 - Do It / I Can't Hear You - 1966 ( Group consisted of Pete Parker - keyboards, Ken Johnston - guitar, Dennis Trull - bass, Skip Metheny - drums)

Pat Powdrill and The Powerdrills (members Pat Powdrill, Pete Parker - keyboards, Ken Johnston - guitar, Dennis Trull - bass, Skip Metheny - drums)

Downey 141 - Together Forever* / They Are The Lonely - 1966 (promo copies issued in red vinyl) *co-written by Jack Stern and Barry White --- also recorded in 1967 by Viola Wills on Bronco 2053.

The Ikettes (member Shellie Clark (later member of Honey Cone), Ann Thomas and Pat Powdrill (replacing P. P. Arnold)) 1966

The Ikettes (member Ann Thomas, Pat Powdrill and Vermettya Royster) 1966

The Ikettes (member Ann Thomas, Pat Powdrill and Maxanne Lewis (a. k. a. Paulette Parker on Duke)) 1967

The Ikettes (member Ann Thomas, Pat Powdrill, Maxanne Lewis and Jean Brown)

Shalamar (members Pat Powdrill, ...........................................................)

Soul Train 10885 - Uptown Festival (Part 1) / Uptown Festival (Part 2) - 1977

"For what it is worth, the band that did the "I Can't Hear You" and "Do It" cuts (music, claps, background vocals) that were released by Downey was:

Pete Parker - keyboards

Ken Johnston - guitar

Dennis Trull - bass

Skip Metheny - drums

Those two tunes were recorded in Los Angeles in '66. Pat was so young and so full of life and energy then - she was just great. Thanks for bringing up the memories.I have no idea who the members were that did the other tunes listed.

Thanks for all your effort to keep this music alive -

Skip Metheny"

"I just wanted to add to Skip's entry. The same group also recorded

"Together Forever" and "They are The Lonely". I still have my copy.

I was very excited to hear that these songs and all of the information

about Pat are available on the internet.

Thanks for your efforts,

Dennis Trull"

Social source share

Also, besides the fact that you don't want a million posts to wade through all clumped together in one giant thread, starting a new thread for each artist question would also provide positive content to this forum (versus threads where people just complain about stuff). I think the title of this thread should be changed to Pat Powdrill.

Social source share

Guest brummiemick

Wow thanks all,

Boba great article on Spectropop. Interesting lady.

Yank, thanks for the extra titles

sorry Dave I have visited your site and should have thought to check out what you have but didn't think! I will in future.

Mike with hindsight I can see why it would be better to have a thread per artiste. It does mean however that I am going to look like the kid who always stuck his hand up asking questions!! :-)

Social source share

Mike with hindsight I can see why it would be better to have a thread per artiste. It does mean however that I am going to look like the kid who always stuck his hand up asking questions!! :-)

believe me, that is a much more positive look than constant whining about everything

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Wow thanks all,

Boba great article on Spectropop. Interesting lady.

Yank, thanks for the extra titles

sorry Dave I have visited your site and should have thought to check out what you have but didn't think! I will in future.

Mick,

Ask away. I've been 'doing' this record thing for over 35 years and learn something every day from threads like this. We all do.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

I thought you had the Sharon Soul and Brad Lundy 45's and would know.

I guess that my answer was a maybe .

I do, but you also did not factor in my laziness in going to the other room where the records are to look at them.

Lots of covers of obscure songs will not credit the actual songwriters and just are straight stolen though. If the name matched it definitely would be the same song but if the name didn't match, it still might have been the same song.

Social source share

Okay here's my definite answer.

Pat Powdrill's version of "Breaking Point" is not the same version as Sharon Soul's since there is no such record.

Think you've got Sharon Soul mixed up with label mate Deena Johnson.

Thank you, I was confused. I must have sounded stupid on the radio when I played the Brad Lundy on the radio a few weeks ago and said it was also the same song as done by Sharon Soul...

Edited by boba
Social source share

haha, I was right about stealing the song at least, Brad Lundy's version credits Lundy as the writer (although it also is slightly different on the two labels). Deena Johnson's version credits two different people. No version credits a St John but at this point I would have to hear the track to know.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!