Jon Lucien

Petebangor

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I think people have tried to play this record at various times. I'm not wholly convinced it works 100% on the rare soul scene. JL is a master vocalist, but his phrasing is a bit of an acquired taste and his singing generally works best where there is more improvisation than actual lyrical content.

To me the closest thing he made to a great record that could be played as 'rare soul' is the brilliant "Would You Believe In Me" on RCA (from the "Rashida" lp, but also on promo 45). His 60s 45 on Columbia "What A Difference Love Makes" has had spins on and off for twenty plus years, but for my ears that's always been on the wrong side of black pop.

Maybe his greatest record for the dancefloor is "Listen Love" from "Mind's Eye", but it would have to be a broad-minded soul club that accepted it. On the jazz and funk scenes it's a stone classic.

Social source share

Wow. This is weird. I was just recording both sides of that Ampex 45 to my computer and found this post minutes later. Strange coincidence.

As for rarity, I never see it turn up. I'll find out how in-demand it is when I put it up on eBay tomorrow. JM says £150 but I don't know about that. We'll see. He could be right though.

Agree with Gareth that JL is a fine vocalist and his LPs for RCA are gems. The northern 45 he did for Columbia is lackluster in my opinion. Wrong material for him. He is too serious and a passionate vocalist to be singing something so trite. I can see myself letting that 45 go really soon.

"Search for the Inner Self" is pretty damn good I think. Wonder if anything's left in the can from that session.

KTF

Jas

Social source share

A recent ebay sale of the Ampex 45 yielded about $150 dollars, but there were quite a few bidders...

link

I sold a VG+ copy about a year ago for $127 & it had a good amount of label damage.

There is some demand for it, but I can't see it selling for much more than $150.

Then again, I have been wrong before.....

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I'd be interested in what you folks think of this.-

I've never heard it played out anywhere. It's on an Ampex 45.

Is it rare?

Ta Pete

Been a bubbling under sound for a while Pete, a few of the Funk-a-teers picked up on it a while back, value seems to fluctuate massively depending on who's bigging it up at the time :(

Social source share

Well I hate to be the one to disagree, but:

1. The vocalist is singing flat, too far back in the mix. He also sounds like Tom Jones.

2. The backing track is dreadful, it starts off boring and ends up something like "There Was A Time" which is probably my least favourite rare soul record after "Scratchy"

Col.

Edited by Soulsmith
Social source share

Well I hate to be the one to disagree, but:

1. The vocalist is singing flat, too far back in the mix. He also sounds like Tom Jones.

2. The backing track is dreadful, it starts off boring and ends up something like "There Was A Time" which is probably my least favourite rare soul record after "Scratchy"

Col.

Which one are you talking about Col "Would you believe in me" is fantastic. The Ampex one is a bit "odd" :lol:

Meant spot on about being played out. Not his best outing I must admit. but stand by my coment "Pure Genius" and simply great live !

Nice to see you on here Gav!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert