Richard Marks / Tuska Label

Just an aside from the Keymen thread (No havent seen this release by RM either) but what do we do about Richard Marks himself? I know he passed away but are their any interviews around with him or was he aware of his 'fame' in soul collecting circles?

Also re. Tuska label - Who owned it? And any other info other than releases? Is the Tuska discography complete?

Thanks!

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

While I wouldn't consider the Tuska discography complete by any means at this point, it sure hasn't been updated in quite some time. I don't have much biographical info on Richard Marks, and there seem to be very few people to ask at this point. I've spoken about him with the likes of Roy Lee Johnson, George Hughley, Hermon Hitson, Calvin Arnold and Tee Fletcher to name a few, and have never learned much more than that he played guitar. There may be a couple of other interesting people I could ask.

As for the owner of the label, he won't talk about secular music anymore. A quick look at the label roster doesn't tell a pretty story though.....

Richard Marks - deceased

Barbara Hall - deceased

Buddy Cantrell - deceased

Jimmy Tig - deceased

Bill Wright - alive, apparently doesn't like to revisit the old days (I have not spoken with him personally)

Social source share

While I wouldn't consider the Tuska discography complete by any means at this point, it sure hasn't been updated in quite some time. I don't have much biographical info on Richard Marks, and there seem to be very few people to ask at this point. I've spoken about him with the likes of Roy Lee Johnson, George Hughley, Hermon Hitson, Calvin Arnold and Tee Fletcher to name a few, and have never learned much more than that he played guitar. There may be a couple of other interesting people I could ask.

As for the owner of the label, he won't talk about secular music anymore. A quick look at the label roster doesn't tell a pretty story though.....

Richard Marks - deceased

Barbara Hall - deceased

Buddy Cantrell - deceased

Jimmy Tig - deceased

Bill Wright - alive, apparently doesn't like to revisit the old days (I have not spoken with him personally)

Many thanks Brian :hatsoff2: It's a pity the label owner wont talk about suh a cult and highly regarded label and roster and maybe fill in those gaps or tantalisingly speak of unissued material perhaps.. a shame really but then we find so many artists etc from that time having little time for secular past.

Social source share

Many thanks Brian :hatsoff2: It's a pity the label owner wont talk about suh a cult and highly regarded label and roster and maybe fill in those gaps or tantalisingly speak of unissued material perhaps.. a shame really but then we find so many artists etc from that time having little time for secular past.

some amazing records on this label. One of the very best small ghetto labels IMO.

Social source share

some amazing records on this label. One of the very best small ghetto labels IMO.

Indeed it is - which always makes me wonder if anything else was recorded on such small labels as this or was it just what (so far) is out there that we know of and financial limits ceased any more productions.. Would make a fine retrospective collection wouldn't it?

Social source share

Indeed it is - which always makes me wonder if anything else was recorded on such small labels as this or was it just what (so far) is out there that we know of and financial limits ceased any more productions.. Would make a fine retrospective collection wouldn't it?

High quality but not much quantity. If there was some unreleased material kicking about then it would absolutely make a great compilation. As it stands, it probably won't happen though. Multiple people have tried.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert