Tamla Motown Fan Club Us 45 1964

hatsoff2.gif HI ALL,,,Back in 1964, DAVE GODIN visited the states and mat up with BERRY GORDY JR on behalf of TMAS, this visit resulted in the Limited release of the GREETINGS FROM HITSVILE.

Although I first bought Blues and Soul and Home of the Blues in the late 60s, I actually started to keep my copies from #56, and although I have all copies now (need #2) none of them goes into the history of this release beyond what I already no.

Are there more in depth articles about TMAS and the DISC.

Also how limited was it, as some say 300 and others say 1000? what is the value today, as I remember before EBAY, this was a HOLY GRAIL RECORD??:lol: DAVE

post-13241-0-03309700-1309026012_thumb.jpost-13241-0-94916100-1309026040_thumb.j

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

If I remember rightly Clive Richardson in his recent book quotes a number of 300 or 400 - will have a look later.

I was worried the imminent re-press might devalue but hey ho 25p Dave's Surplus London Rd Derby still in pocket !!

Social source share

Right Dave - back again - info courtesy of Clive Richardson's 'Really Sayin Something - Memoirs of a Soul Survivor'

Clive as I'm sure many of you are aware was an early member of TMAS, Editor of Shout and a contemporary of Dave Godin, Mike Raven and the other original supporters of soul music way back when.

He refers to the disc but in doing so actually references the 2009 television documentary ' Motown - the British invasion' as revealing that 'just 300 copies were pressed'

So really none the wiser from that angle - had hoped it was a more definitive statement as Clive obviously had access to the inner sanctum of TMAS.

Anyone got a recording of the documentary - who actually makes the statement - does this provide an more definitive evidence ?

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

I think it was given out with one of the little TMAS magazines/fanzines called Hitsville USA.

I've got several of them but I don't think i've got that particular one.

Anyway in No. 12 there is an index of the articles in the first 12 issues but unfortunately no mention of the free disc in there.

So I guess it wasn't seen as a really big deal at the time. Just a little perk for TMAS members along the lines of the Christmas records that went out to members of the official Beatles fan club.

MB

Social source share

:thumbsup: Hi and thanks for info, for some strane reason! I have never considerd myself as a collector of MOTOWN, but oin throuh the UK TAMLA MOTOWN Label there must be over 400 TMG records from the 5,6.&700s and 100+ reen & White DEMOS and 13 Red & White in various condion also I have a small number of the and while the collectors want the rare stuff I am very happy havein BABY LOVE & MY GUY as red & white DEMOS the later in my opinion, is one of the best recordins Berry Gordy JR released, it has every thing, plus a few EPs,

So althouh the TMAS reetins from Hitsville is a US recordin (Nashvile stamped it was intended for the UK & Europe Fans only, so in a way I could always keep it till I find the riht collectore to have it (makes a ood Jinle for myself , with the hello Dave quotes???)

I remember Sharron Daveis was writer on MOTOWN in Blues & Soul, so I will have the do the FLICK as EVD would say I will ask Mick or Ady as I am sure ady could write a ex book on MOTOWN,

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Dave still had a number of copies, and was still giving these away, in the late 60s when I first got to know him well.

If Clive is right - and I suspect he is, as Dave once told me himself that he'd 'only had a couple of hundred' made - it provides an illustration of just how small the membership of the TMAS must really have been when the record was assembled and manufactured....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert