The Waterfront Blues & Soul Club - York, Sunday Chill Out 14Th August

Hi Folks,

Starting to promote the next "Waterfront & Blues & Soul Club" Sunday Chill Out session 14th August @ The Riverside Cafe Bar (City Screen York).

Just praying for some summer and sunshine. Mind you the last one was fine except for some rain before we started.

This time up we have another fabulous guest dj: Sam Evans - Soul Purpose (Hinckley).

Sam Evans is a true stalwart of the soul, mod and scooter scene. Her first all-nighter was at Hinckley Leisure Centre in 1983 as a 13 year old and has never looked back ! Djing since 2003 she currently DJs & co promotes the critically aclaimed 'Hinckley Soul Club' with Andy Baskett & Wayne Haynes along with 'Soul Purpose' with Mark Goddard & Mark Randle. (Northern at the former, Modern at the latter). Sam also runs a little funk and soul night called 'Behind The Groove' along with being a resident DJ at A1 Soul Club, Grantham with Andy and Barry Cooper. She can also be found behind the decks at many of the UK soul weekenders including Blackpool, Whitby and Weston Super Mare etc plus guesting the length and breadth of the UK. Well known for her unique dance style, not surprisingly then she was a dance competition winner at Prestatyn Soul Weekender.

The fun and games start officially at 2pm but we may be getting an earlier 12pm start for reasons that I will make apparent later.

Cheers fa now Y'all,

Jay Cee

• Helpful 1

andy is this every second week of every month? just chatting to azza and we guessed it was that? thanks

Hi Adam , the initial plan was for three Sunday chill outs, starting in June , all 2nd Sunday , next and final one of the Summer trilogy is Sun 14th Aug (Soul Purpose’s Sam Evans guest DJ).

The Waterfront Blues N Soul Club then have a couple of evening events (same venue, with late bar til 2am).

Ist one’s Sat 10th Sept (as part of a York Soul Day at The City Screen) with Andy Lewis and Raphi 'Scorcher' from Brussels djing along with residents (Raphi organised the Perpignan soul weekenders).

Then there’s another on Sat 10th Dec, Dave Raistrick & Pete Jay guesting plus residents.

The Sunday chill outs will hopefully then resume on a monthly basis from Jan 2012 , every 2nd Sunday, along with a few evening events.

Edited by andybellwood

The last of the trilogy of summer sunday chill outs (until' they re- start later in the year - not forgetting those magical evening events - next one Sat 10th Sept) :thumbup:

Just back from bonnie Scotland ....looking forward to another Sunday afternoon at Waterfront gotta go a bit steady this time tho......orders.... :wicked:

Especially looking forward to meeting and listening to Sam...... :thumbup: superb afternoon last time Sam you'll love it..... :yes:

Edited by Dale

Just back from bonnie Scotland ....looking forward to another Sunday afternoon at Waterfront gotta go a bit steady this time tho......orders.... :wicked:

Especially looking forward to meeting and listening to Sam...... :thumbup: superb afternoon last time Sam you'll love it..... :yes:

some come 'booted n suited' - you'll be coming kilted as MacByers :lol:

THE WATERFRONT BLUES N SOUL CLUB’S

FINAL 2011 SUMMER SUNDAY CHILL-OUT

SUNDAY 14TH August

@ THE RIVERSIDE CAFÉ BAR, CITY SCREEN (YORK),

CONEY STREET, YORK. YO1 9QQ

FREE ADMISSION : 2PM-7PM

Years ago, when Glenys and I popped into the riverside café bar we decided to have something to eat. It was a cold day, so we decided to have soup. "What's the soup?" I asked the young, floppy-haired lad who was taking our order. He went to check. He came back triumphant, or at least satisfied. "It's soup of the day," he said. That's all right then. Sophistication settled over him like a cloak because he'd called it Soup of the Day. Then we asked for a cake and was told there were no cakes available, only gateaux.

"Tell them it's soup of the day," they would have told him in the kitchen as the microwave went ding. "It makes us sound posh!"

Ah, the constant drive that a lot of us Yorkshire types have to appear sophisticated. I remember my mate, taking his girlfriend out to the Co-op cafe many decades ago, asking for cheese at the end of the meal because he thought it was sophisticated. "What cheese do you have?" he asked the waitress, who was possibly the grandmother of Mr Soup of the Day. She went away to check (why do they always go away to check?) and came back. She stood by the table like a figurehead on a boat and said: "Red or white."

None of that anymore, Excellent quality food and especially, no phoney sophistication with the quality of music.

Pure Soul music for everyone to enjoy delivered with love from York's finest DJ's

All Served on a plate, Straight to your heart. Enjoy. :thumbsup:

Edited by dekka
  • Helpful 1

THE WATERFRONT BLUES N SOUL CLUB’S

FINAL 2011 SUMMER SUNDAY CHILL-OUT

SUNDAY 14TH August

@ THE RIVERSIDE CAFÉ BAR, CITY SCREEN (YORK),

CONEY STREET, YORK. YO1 9QQ

FREE ADMISSION : 2PM-7PM

Years ago, when Glenys and I popped into the riverside café bar we decided to have something to eat. It was a cold day, so we decided to have soup. "What's the soup?" I asked the young, floppy-haired lad who was taking our order. He went to check. He came back triumphant, or at least satisfied. "It's soup of the day," he said. That's all right then. Sophistication settled over him like a cloak because he'd called it Soup of the Day. Then we asked for a cake and was told there were no cakes available, only gateaux.

"Tell them it's soup of the day," they would have told him in the kitchen as the microwave went ding. "It makes us sound posh!"

Ah, the constant drive that a lot of us Yorkshire types have to appear sophisticated. I remember my mate, taking his girlfriend out to the Co-op cafe many decades ago, asking for cheese at the end of the meal because he thought it was sophisticated. "What cheese do you have?" he asked the waitress, who was possibly the grandmother of Mr Soup of the Day. She went away to check (why do they always go away to check?) and came back. She stood by the table like a figurehead on a boat and said: "Red or white."

None of that anymore, Excellent quality food and especially, no phoney sophistication with the quality of music.

Pure Soul music for everyone to enjoy delivered with love from York's finest DJ's

All Served on a plate, Straight to your heart. Enjoy. :thumbsup:

love this Derek ....hope you and Gleny's can make it on Sunday 14th . :thumbup:

love this Derek ....hope you and Gleny's can make it on Sunday 14th . :thumbup:

Hi mate

Definitely planning this in to our itineray, be good to catch up with you all again,

maybe even take in the alldayer the previous day.

God willing and fair winds :thumbsup:

Hi mate

Definitely planning this in to our itineray, be good to catch up with you all again,

maybe even take in the alldayer the previous day.

God willing and fair winds :thumbsup:

don't think that lovely lambretta of yours needs a fair wind to get to the Waterfront ... heard it flies past the admiring looks....

any chance you could post a pic ?

Andy thanks for inviting me,realy looking forward to spinning some tune @ the waterfront blues n soul club york, sound a great sunday chill out sessions hope to see you all there . :thumbup::hatsoff2:

soulfun and love sam

It is our pleasure Sam, really looking forward to hearing your set and you putting some sunshine back into the summer!!!

ktf,

Jay

don't think that lovely lambretta of yours needs a fair wind to get to the Waterfront ... heard it flies past the admiring looks....

any chance you could post a pic ?

Hi Mate

Wont be on scoot, shes having TLC before riding down to Isle of Wight at the end of the month.

Will post up some pics from IOW for the next sunday chill out

Cheers :thumbsup:

Hope to see you & Maz n the gang C&C

Look forward to it Chris gonna be another fine afternoon with top tunes and company.... :yes:

Edited by Dale

Hi Mate

Wont be on scoot, shes having TLC before riding down to Isle of Wight at the end of the month.

Will post up some pics from IOW for the next sunday chill out

Cheers :thumbsup:

Lookin' forward to that. We spent many a happy Aug b/h on the IOW . Manged to co incide familly holidays with the Beibly's with the Scooters . Fantastic memories of Edwin Starr performing at Ryde Theatre and 8,000 scooters on the rideout . Inspired us both to buy Lambrettas. Are there still similar numbers ?

Andy/Jay

will times be posted before wknd.....doing my usual late arrival again sorry....... :yes:

Andy/Jay

will times be posted before wknd.....doing my usual late arrival again sorry....... :yes:

Hi Dale - just back ,so need to sort out some tunes for tomorrow .

Marc Forrest has just sent me one (big thanks Mark) so that one will deffo get a spin .

As to times , unless Jay wants to plan it different to the other chill outs , expect it will be more of the same - no egos /headliners etc , just all the residents alternating throughout the afternoon , a bit of double decking and of course Sam Evans guest spot which i'm really looking forward to .

Edited by andybellwood

for those travelling....

Extract from Council website below - need to be aware Coney St, where the City Screen is located, is pedestrian access only for some of the day .

York Railway & bus station 5-10 min walk away . Cheapest car park , I think - £2.50 all day, is ACOP Leeman Road , just behing the railway station 1st left when leaving York after the Rly Bridge down Leeman Road . Free car parking at the Park n Rides

York city centre pedestrian zone

York has one of the largest pedestrian zones in Europe. The pedestrian streets, or footstreets - create a safer and more attractive city centre for everyone, whether residents, businesses, shoppers or visitors.

Pedestrian area times

During these times the zone is strictly for pedestrians. Vehicles should not enter this area, apart from a few exceptions, such as emergency vehicles.

Blake Street, Castlegate, Church Street, Colliergate, Coney Street, Feasegate, High Petergate, Lendal, Little Stonegate, Low Petergate, Market Street, Ousegate, Parliament Street, Swinegate:

Monday to Friday 11.00am - 4.00pm

Saturday 10.30am - 4.30pm

Sunday 12.00noon - 4.00pm

Hi Dale - just back ,so need to sort out some tunes for tomorrow .

Marc Forrest has just sent me one (big thanks Mark) so that one will deffo get a spin .

As to times , unless Jay wants to plan it different to the other chill outs , expect it will be more of the same - no egos /headliners etc , just all the residents alternating throughout the afternoon , a bit of double decking and of course Sam Evans guest spot which i'm really looking forward to .

Ok Andy i've still to sort box out decorating duties for two whole days....slave driver mi other half..... ranting_1.gif

Edited by Dale