Prefer The 2nd Issue?

Guest Seagrave

Guest Seagrave

Morning All,

Of the records which were legitimately issued more than once in the USA, either on the same label or a different one, which ones (if any) might you prefer to have the second issue rather than the first? Probably because it's rarer, or maybe because you're trying to complete a collectable label, or perhaps it just looks prettier!

How about:

Al Williams on Palmer, instead of La Beat?

Ivorys on Wand, rather than Despenza?

Frank Beverly on Gamble, as opposed to Sassy?

Or is anyone desperately after Peoples Choice - Saving My Loving For You on Palmer 5031?

I'm sure there must be quite a few interesting examples examples out there; and any strange reasons for the preference?!?

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

As a collector I would have thought you would go for the local/first issue. A second issue or national release would do until you could find a copy of the first. Looks, do they come into it when collecting? I would go for the first issue over a better looking second issue label, maybe then buy the fancy looking one if I was a completist collector.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

wasn't there a discussion about the second issue of chosen few "birth of a playboy" being seemingly more expensive on the canyon national rather than the maple local ?

Davie

Social source share

THOUGHT ID B A SMART ASS AND BUY LIZ DAMONS/FALLING IN LOVE/MAKAHA,WHEN IT STARTD GETTIN PLAYD ON WHITE WHALE.MINT COPY OUT OF DISCOVERIES $10 ALL IN.WHEN I GOT IT,IT WAS A LOVLEY MINTER.PUT IT ON THE DECK.U COULDNT TELL IT WAS THE SAME RECORD.SOUNDED LIKE THERE WAS 2 RECORDS RECORDED ON TOP OF EACH OTHER.DONT KNOW IF ALL COPYS WERE LIKE THAT?.AND THATS WHY WHITE WHALE PICKD IT UP.SOLD IT 4 A TENNER.GUY DIDNT SEND IT BAK.HE MUST OF BEEN HAPPY WE IT. :wicked:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

In John Manship's price guide he lists Ty Karim's You Just Don't Know on Romark 113 as more expensive than Romark 103 (although both are pretty wallet busting!). Anyone know why this should be? Presumably Romark 113 is rarer, but wouldn't, or shouldn't, the first issue be more in demand?

Also, why doesn't this apply to the People's Choice on Palmer 5031? Can't remember seeing this one for sale.

On the Frankie Beverly point though, surely it would satisfy both rarity and 1st issue devotees to get the Sassy demo!

Social source share

In John Manship's price guide he lists Ty Karim's You Just Don't Know on Romark 113 as more expensive than Romark 103 (although both are pretty wallet busting!). Anyone know why this should be? Presumably Romark 113 is rarer, but wouldn't, or shouldn't, the first issue be more in demand?

Also, why doesn't this apply to the People's Choice on Palmer 5031? Can't remember seeing this one for sale.

On the Frankie Beverly point though, surely it would satisfy both rarity and 1st issue devotees to get the Sassy demo!

I have Ty Karim 113 it came from Rob Wigley ( remnents of Jim Wensioras collection) at the time there were only 2 known copies Carl F's and mine i have a tape somewhere with Gary Rushbrooke introducing at wigan as a new discovery. Lou Stanley has a one or two lately wonder if they are 103

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest Tom Walsh

I have Ty Karim 113 it came from Rob Wigley ( remnents of Jim Wensioras collection) at the time there were only 2 known copies Carl F's and mine i have a tape somewhere with Gary Rushbrooke introducing at wigan as a new discovery. Lou Stanley has a one or two lately wonder if they are 103

Ted I managed to get a copy of Lou, when I visited him with steve cooper and Hammie acouple of years ago and it is the 113.

Pete :thumbsup:

Social source share

THOUGHT ID B A SMART ASS AND BUY LIZ DAMONS/FALLING IN LOVE/MAKAHA,WHEN IT STARTD GETTIN PLAYD ON WHITE WHALE.MINT COPY OUT OF DISCOVERIES $10 ALL IN.WHEN I GOT IT,IT WAS A LOVLEY MINTER.PUT IT ON THE DECK.U COULDNT TELL IT WAS THE SAME RECORD.SOUNDED LIKE THERE WAS 2 RECORDS RECORDED ON TOP OF EACH OTHER.DONT KNOW IF ALL COPYS WERE LIKE THAT?.AND THATS WHY WHITE WHALE PICKD IT UP.SOLD IT 4 A TENNER.GUY DIDNT SEND IT BAK.HE MUST OF BEEN HAPPY WE IT. :thumbsup:

I have both and they sound the same to me...(rubbish record IMO)

Edited by noss
Social source share

As a collector I would have thought you would go for the local/first issue. A second issue or national release would do until you could find a copy of the first. Looks, do they come into it when collecting? I would go for the first issue over a better looking second issue label, maybe then buy the fancy looking one if I was a completist collector.

Not sure if I agree with you there Chalkmeister. Collecting and elitism are regular bedfollows. I think it depends on the record and the rarity of both versions. In support of your point I'd far rather have Randy Brown "Things ain't what they used to be" on it's first label, rather than IX Chains.

But as far as the Ivories on Wand is concerned - this is on my holy grail and I'd far rather have it there on Nat release than on Despanza.

And if Don Varner was genuinly on Veep wouldn't you rather have that rather than the Quinvy copy? I know I would.

Another factor to throw into the mixing pot is that quite often the national releases are better recordings than the local efforts.

So I don't think there's any hard and fast rules here.

Social source share

Not sure if I agree with you there Chalkmeister. Collecting and elitism are regular bedfollows. I think it depends on the record and the rarity of both versions. In support of your point I'd far rather have Randy Brown "Things ain't what they used to be" on it's first label, rather than IX Chains.

But as far as the Ivories on Wand is concerned - this is on my holy grail and I'd far rather have it there on Nat release than on Despanza.

And if Don Varner was genuinly on Veep wouldn't you rather have that rather than the Quinvy copy? I know I would.

Another factor to throw into the mixing pot is that quite often the national releases are better recordings than the local efforts.

So I don't think there's any hard and fast rules here.

Not paid Mick a visit after dark then ranting_1.gif

Social source share

I think they are the same from memory. But why noss do you have two different copies of record you think is rubbish :D did you find them or where you given them huh.gif

Well on a trip to the San Francisco a few years ago I got the White Whale one for $1 and then found the local one for 50 cents and am now pretty stuck with them. I Like the look of the local one but not a patch on Betty Everett. Anyway I've got loads of records I don't like!

Edited by noss
Social source share

THOUGHT ID B A SMART ASS AND BUY LIZ DAMONS/FALLING IN LOVE/MAKAHA,WHEN IT STARTD GETTIN PLAYD ON WHITE WHALE.MINT COPY OUT OF DISCOVERIES $10 ALL IN.WHEN I GOT IT,IT WAS A LOVLEY MINTER.PUT IT ON THE DECK.U COULDNT TELL IT WAS THE SAME RECORD.SOUNDED LIKE THERE WAS 2 RECORDS RECORDED ON TOP OF EACH OTHER.DONT KNOW IF ALL COPYS WERE LIKE THAT?.AND THATS WHY WHITE WHALE PICKD IT UP.SOLD IT 4 A TENNER.GUY DIDNT SEND IT BAK.HE MUST OF BEEN HAPPY WE IT. huh.gif

I picked this up on White Whale in a shop a couple of years ago. I had a listen and promptly put it back from whence it came, I thought it was shite! :D

Social source share

Top banana Gringo,seeing its priceless,i`ll swop ya` for me first issue........ :thumbsup:

Ken, it never got the plays it deserved, must ask Ron Pedley at Piercebridge to give it a spin and then I can give it some right stick on the dance floor instead of boogieing to that modern stuff I usually dance to!! :unsure:

Edited by Gringo
Social source share

Ken, it never got the plays it deserved, must ask Ron Pedley at Piercebridge to give it a spin and then I can give it some right stick on the dance floor instead of boogieing to that modern stuff I usually dance to!! :unsure:

Think more people know it down south,due to Keb giving it loads of play`s,one day i`ll get me one, :thumbsup:

Social source share

The Young Bros ... Baby on Soul Power

on the second issue for me..better smoother cut

Si Hightower on a rare plain label first press as opposed to the later pink and silver label

although it looks nicer on the second press/issue

rarer on plain label

&

Rouser instead of Fairmount..of course.

Edited by the gasher
Social source share

How about Stemmon's Express -' Woman, Love Thief' i had the local Karma release sold it way back then got a Wand Demo again sold on way back but on reflection the local issue has remained quite hard to find, others that spring to mind are Ty Karim - 'You Really Made It Good To Me' still have Senator copy but which is the harder to find Senator or Romark??? also Larry Atkins 'Ain't That Love Enough' always really common on Highland but seen for over £100.00 recently so how hard is it to find on Romark??? must be really hard to find.

Sandy Wynn's - 'The Touch Of Venus' another common record on Champion but rare as rocking horse droppings on Doc?

Brilliant thread i might add.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!