Harthon Reissue Question

Anyone here (older UK heads esp) know the scoop on the numerous Harthon 45s repressed for the UK Northern soul market (Harthon in black type on orange label). I'm trying to get a fix on when these were pressed and by whom (I'd always heard that they came out in the 70's/80's) . They definitely had access to the master tapes.

6_45s_bodymotions.jpg

The 45 above is two instrumental dubs of other Harthon 45s.

There are a number of these type of issue, including Volcanos, United Four, Lee Garrett, Larry Clinton (with Irma & The Fascinators on the flip, which I believe was just pressed). I'm wondering if Weldon McDougall, Luther Randolph or Johnny Stiles were behind it or if someone in the UK took it upon themselves.

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Soulfood33

Anyone here (older UK heads esp) know the scoop on the numerous Harthon 45s repressed for the UK Northern soul market (Harthon in black type on orange label). I'm trying to get a fix on when these were pressed and by whom (I'd always heard that they came out in the 70's/80's) . They definitely had access to the master tapes.

6_45s_bodymotions.jpg

There are a number of these type of issue, including Volcanos, United Four, Lee Garrett, Larry Clinton (with Irma & The Fascinators on the flip, which I believe was just pressed). I'm wondering if Weldon McDougall, Luther Randolph or Johnny Stiles were behind it or if someone in the UK took it upon themselves.

Social source share

Guest Soulfood33

6_45s_bodymotions.jpg

Pressed circa 1976 by Soul Bowl, Kings Lynn. yes they certainly had access to the master tapes, my personal favourite which blew me away at the time. Was the instrumental of Bernard Willians - Focused right on you.. that was really a sensational instrumental at the time paid about £1.50 it back then

Social source share

Pressed circa 1976 by Soul Bowl, Kings Lynn. yes they certainly had access to the master tapes, my personal favourite which blew me away at the time. Was the instrumental of Bernard Willians - Focused right on you.. that was really a sensational instrumental at the time paid about £1.50 it back then

detroit city soul by the thrillers , got one in the sales box if anyone wants it on the grove city label

pm if interested

dav

Social source share

Pressed circa 1976 by Soul Bowl, Kings Lynn. yes they certainly had access to the master tapes

Some were actually around earlier - seem to remember the instr. of "Puttin' you on" somewhere towards the end of '74. Listen closely and you can actually hear the start of the vocal off-mike! Most (if not all) have the Virtue pressing plant scratched in the dead wax, and I thought they were an orange label.

Hippo.

Social source share

Hello,

They '70s Harthon 45s were legitimate repressings or reissues from Philadelphia - and mostly pressed FOR Soul Bowl, NOT by them.

The recent Harthon single with Irma & The Fascinations flipped with Larry Clinton is a "lookalike" UK pressing and has nothing to do with Harthon as far as I know - unless it originates from Goldsoul / Bestway as they do have a non-exclusive license. If not, it must be yet another "repro" bootleg.

By the way, coming soon (January) from Grapevine is their third previously unissued Eddie Holman single from the Harthon vaults: "Sweet Memories Are Haunting Me" ...a great follow-up to "She's Wanted" and "Hold Me In Your Arms".

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Original has a curved Harthon logo, Dave not straight like the example above

Dazz

Yep mine's curved, the other is a boot and about £100 cheeper, well it was when I got mine last year

Social source share

Yep mine's curved, the other is a boot and about £100 cheeper, well it was when I got mine last year

Thanks to everyone for the info. It's much appreciated!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert