Tobi Lark / Bessie Watson ?

Mace

• Replies 6
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Recently bought a 45 by Bessie Watson on Jay Pee (she released 2 x 45s on the label) and have just been informed that this is actually Tobi Lark.

Anyone know if this is true???

Regards

Mace.

Just got hold of one of her's myself too Mace, forgot what the side is its upstairs locked in my box, one side is 'in your corner' whats a rough guide price on that any idea :thumbsup:

Social source share

Just got hold of one of her's myself too Mace, forgot what the side is its upstairs locked in my box, one side is 'in your corner' whats a rough guide price on that any idea :thumbsup:

JayPee1001 -I'm in your corner / I'm never alone

Great double sider Baz - sold me last one for £70, though I saw it sell on ebay just over a year ago for about $300!!!!!

The one I just picked up is her second one on the label,

JayPee1050 - Wake up crying / Who's gonna miss you?

Regards,

Mace

Social source share

JayPee1001 -I'm in your corner / I'm never alone

Great double sider Baz - sold me last one for £70, though I saw it sell on ebay just over a year ago for about $300!!!!!

The one I just picked up is her second one on the label,

Regards,

Mace

Blimey :shades: think i paid about $60 for it. not herd the other one easy to pick up :thumbsup:

Social source share

Regards,

Mace

I used to have this, according to Dean Anderson it's dead rare (or was in the 80's, appreciate things are often a bit more available now) really nice, if early record, and she does have a pitch to her voice similar to Tobi Lark but would it not be too early to be her, also have people not contacted Tobi Lark before?

Any idea of value on this nowadays, have been looking (although I'm no longer the record bloodhound I was) for this since I sold it and not seen another one.

Cheers

Jock

PS Yes Dean if you are reading I know you also used to say I obtained your copy by foul means, my lawyer says beat it :thumbsup::shades:

Social source share

Heard it was mega hard to find and got it for $9.01 off ebay :thumbsup:

Mint copy too :shades:

Seller sent me the following emails after sending it too me, hence me asking on here

Hello Andrew, any chance i could bother you for a scan or a photo of the b-side of the bessie watson 45. it turns out this is actually toby lark under a pseudonym and david meikle is trying to do a webisode on soulfuldetroit.com. i had already taken a photo of the a-side but he still needs the b-side. it's no problem if you can't and i understand. if you can please send it as an attachment and i should be able to adjust it from there.

b-side whose gonna miss you.

i'm sending you her discography so far as david sent it to me. i didn't know it was her until after i sold you the record or i wouldn't have even put it up for sale. i did record it before i shipped it and it does sound like her.

artist song label

bessie watson / tobi lark I'm in your corner jaypee1001a

bessie watson / tobi lark I'm never alone jaypee1001b

bessie watson / tobi lark wake up crying jaypee1050a

bessie watson / tobi lark who's gonna miss you? jaypee1050b

tobi lark & CA quintet deed I do riverside4569a

tobi lark & CA quintet cottage for sale riverside4569b

tobi lark I'll steal your heart palmer5000a

tobi lark talk to an angel palmer5000b

tobi lark happiness is here topper1011a

tobi lark talkin' about love topper1011b

tobi lark challenge my love topper1015a

tobi lark sweep it out in the shed topper1015b

tobi lark lots of heart usd135A

tobi lark a woman's job usd135B

tobi legend time will pass you by mala591a

tobi legend heartbreaker mala591b

tobi legend no good to cry mala12003a

tobi legend heartbreaker mala12003b

tobi lark twenty four hours cotillion44025a

tobi lark shake a hand cotillion44025b

tobi lark giving up cotillion44059a

tobi lark just to hold my hand cotillion44059b

tobi lark with toronto we're all in this together cotillion44096a

tobi lark with toronto freedom train cotillion44096b

tobi lark with toronto we're all in this together nimbus9011a

tobi lark with toronto freedom train nimbus9011b

Edited by Mace
Social source share

and she does have a pitch to her voice similar to Tobi Lark but would it not be too early to be her, also have people not contacted Tobi Lark before?

At the very begining of Levine's 'Strange World of Northern Soul' film Tobi Lark comes on to speak about h 'Time Will Pass You By' being released on Mala as ''Tobi Legend'' without her ever knowing!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert