Baileys Nightclub In Hull In 1971

Mike

below was posted via contact us and have posted just in case anyone can help

Hello

I wonder if you could help me please? I noticed a question posted on your forum in 2009 with regards to Baileys Nightclub in Hull in 1971 and wondered if you could point me in the right direction with obtaining some information.

I have a friend who is a singer/guitarist. In 1971 he was asked to play in a group which was being organised to tour around the Baileys nightclubs. In this group was my friend Lawrence 'Ted' Heath - bass guitarist, the late Dave Rowberry - drums (ex Animals) Stuart - guitarist (now playing with Cockney Rebel) Tim also on guitar who is a folk singer now. This group was fronted by Adam Faith. On the bill with them was Mike Yarwood and Dana.

The only other things of that night that Lawrence can remember is that a young man on his stag night fell over the balcony and unfortunately died. I have managed to find out that there was an article written in 1971 about this club/night in the Hull Times, because the club had recently opened again, but I am unable to find out anything about this newspaper.

I wondered if you would know where I could obtain a copy of this article or even any information regarding this. Lawrence is still in contact with Stuart and Tim and only recently read about the death of Dave Rowberry. As most people they are reminiscing about their youth.

Thank you for your time

Chris

Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Baileys had been a dance hall before it was converted into a supper club. It formed the top floor of the big town centre Co-op store & was originally known as the Skyline Ballroom.

I went to see loads of mod & soul acts there as they always featured live acts on (mainly) Thursday nights. I saw Rod Stewart (singing with Jeff Beck Group), Zoot Money, Mike Cotton Sound & they had the likes of Small Faces, Who, Jimmy James & Vags, Garnett Mimms, Lee Dorsey & many more on.

It converted to become Baileys around 1970 / 71 and had acts such as the Flirtations, Fantastics & numerous non-soul acts on (playing week long stints). I went to see a few of the soul acts that were on when it was Baileys (married a Hull lass, so was always back in the city visiting her family & old soul friends).

The newspaper this guy is talking about is the HULL DAILY MAIL. It's still going strong & even has a web site ...

https://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/people/Hull%20Daily%20Mail/profile.html

They publish (monthly?) editions of a 'history / nostalgia' special that just features old photos from past editions (40's/ 50's / 60's) but I think they also do reprints of specific editions (for birthday presents on someone DofB).

Its worth contacting them or someone at Hull City Council Library Dept as I'm sure one or the other will help out determining which edition any report on the events detailed above occurred appeared in.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

Social source share

The wifes awake now ...... I have to be quiet till she wakes up or I cop it ....

She tells me that she went to a Dockers Dance night (her father / brothers were dockers) at the Skyline in 1964 and someone fell off the balcony that night (so you'll need to specify when the 'fall incident' you want to know about happened as falls seem to have occurred a few times).

I remember what the place was like when it was the Skyline .... you caught a lift up to the top floor of the Co-op store (4th / 5th ?) and from there walked up a wide staircase to get to the Skyline Room (it was the buildings penthouse, hence its name). The club was a large Top Rank / Mecca like place with small areas of seating at the side and a large stage area fronting a big dance floor. Back in those days, it had a balcony.

When it was converted into Baileys, it became all-seating with terraced floors from front to back of the place, each floor level being 2/3 foot above the one it was behind. I can't recall a balcony in those days but that doesn't mean there wasn't one.

Social source share

The guy may be right about the original story being in the Hull Times ......

that also still exists & has a web site .........

.... https://hulltimes.com/

BUT the Hull Times is a weekly paper that does more 'general interest' stories rather than daily 'hard news'.

I would have said that a story about a death from a fall happening at a major city night club would have been covered in a lot more detail in the Hull Daily Mail -- a report on the actual event; follow-up concerning H & S issues at Baileys; a report on the coroners court proceedings & determination, etc.

Would still guess that an approach (e-mail) to staff at Hull City Library would elicit a positive response especially if the approx date of the death can be specified.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert