Ian Levine

Soulsmith

Came back in the scene with a flourish & disappeared just as quickly

Anybody know what he's doing now?

What exactly was his relationship with Take That?

What was his best contribution to Soul music? - serious question

What do you think an orig. 70s 'Levine Must Go T' would fetch on E-e-bay

- or what would you be prepared to pay?

Col

Social source share

• Replies 106
  • Views 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest biggray1

Ians contribution to the scene to me is big!! IMO he added alot of depth to the scene by playing new 70s releases wich added a lot of interest from many!! he paved the way for the modern and x over fans that embrace the movement today...Imo the Mecca was cutting edge for the soul scene and is sadly missed by many..Ian has done a lot of work in the past that really deserves credit..ie Motown..Producer...Writer..Film Producer..CRITIC...But alas his outspoken remarks and comments have done his cred a lot of damage!! after saying this i myself say that who ever you are and have Soul in your blood you will allways have our scene in your heart!! and thats good...But Big Hearts and big gobs dont allways go together especially whe your up in the front where you can easily be knocked off your perch...and there is always a lot of stone throwers......Thanx Mecca crew..Ian Tony Colin etc..Glad i was there...Thanx for the memorys...Graham.

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

What was his best contribution to Soul music? - serious question

Chuck Jackson remix All over the World.

I'll swap you a mint picture sleeve copy for your T Shirt whistling.gif

Social source share

Not too keen on the records he produced but when you think of the records he broke at The Highland Room his contribution is immense. The golden era of Northern Soul IMHO was 73/74 & a lot of those tunes were brought to the fore by Ian. You only have to look at the Northern Soul top 500 book to see how many of those records are in there.

I don't think Ian will ever win any popularity contests & many people found him unapproachable but he certainly made an indelible mark upon the soul scene in this country.

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

... he certainly made an indelible mark upon the soul scene.

Not to mention an inedible one.

You'd go a long way to find anyone who can stomach him.

Boom Boom!

On the plus side his name does make one of my favourite soulie anagrams.

Ian Levine = Inane Evil. whistling.gif

Social source share

Barbara Pennington, 24 Hours a day. His best IMO

Was the T Shirt ever pressed thumbsup.gif

Levene & The Mecca Had a hugh influance on the music played at Cleethorpes and as such on me. and accounts for the open minded approch to what I class as northen soul :yes:

I will allways rember the war between Soul Sam & Levene, Levene lost and soul sam and others proceeded to buy all his records whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

There was Pete's favourite record, on Red Coach.

He had a tremendous effect both positive and negative. unfortunately with many people its the negative that lingers longest. Which is a massive shame but he has only himself to blame.

As Kev says in the Stoke post:

Happy new year, peace and love to all.

Social source share

Not too keen on the records he produced but when you think of the records he broke at The Highland Room his contribution is immense. The golden era of Northern Soul IMHO was 73/74 & a lot of those tunes were brought to the fore by Ian. You only have to look at the Northern Soul top 500 book to see how many of those records are in there.

I don't think Ian will ever win any popularity contests & many people found him unapproachable but he certainly made an indelible mark upon the soul scene in this country.

A perfect critique of Ian! A lovely guy and one of the most knowledgeable Soulsters ever. You have to know him though to get where he's at.

And the ultimate discoverer of the scene's greatest hits. Happy New Year Mr. Vandal!

Social source share

Not to mention an inedible one.

You'd go a long way to find anyone who can stomach him.

Boom Boom!

On the plus side his name does make one of my favourite soulie anagrams.

Ian Levine = Inane Evil. :yes:

thumbsup.gif Great anagram whistling.gif

Here's a couple more

1, inane vile

2, alien vein

Seriously though in the 70s Ian along with Colin showed us the way forwards with the stuff they were playing at the Mecca.

Social source share

No doubt the man is a legend. Groundbraking stuff at the Highland Room etc.

Take That's first producer? Maybe or urban myth, dunno.

However the mission statement when he was at the Rocket couple of years back, "Ian Levine declares war on London's soul clubs". That and scuppering Crossfire's all night licence leaves a bit of a bad taste to be honest.

Social source share

Without doubt, Ian Levine's greatest contribution to the soul scene was his "Advanced Northern Soul" internet forum - some of the best laughs I've ever had on the internet!! whistling.gif

Social source share

Without doubt, Ian Levine's greatest contribution to the soul scene was his "Advanced Northern Soul" internet forum - some of the best laughs I've ever had on the internet!! :D

Heard about from couple of lads locally. Said it was almost unregulated, very funny & with some massive arguments.

Agree with John - The Exciter's "Reaching for The Best " is an all time classic. Done to death at the time, but now NEVER gets a spin.

Andy, sorry to disappoint but don't have the T shirt, but its fairly easy for me to get them printed up.

But not much point at the moment :(

Social source share

A perfect critique of Ian! A lovely guy and one of the most knowledgeable Soulsters ever. You have to know him though to get where he's at.

And the ultimate discoverer of the scene's greatest hits. Happy New Year Mr. Vandal!

Very well put Kev he will be back,never cotton to that 4 vandals stuff ect ect.

Billy :D

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

No, not a myth. He did produce some of their early hits, saw him on a pragramme a while back talking about Take That. He also did some work with Boyzone, Louis Walsh was interviewed saying that Levine didn't think Ronan Keating should be their singer after they were in the studio. Obviously Louis didn't take his advice...

I met Ian a couple of times and he was always a nice bloke. I was also on ANS and he could be a right prat, irritating, imperious, argumentative, high handed. He is probably his own worst enemy. Personally i never had an issue with him, but i can see how he could have rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way with his personality. I'm not sure if rumours about the crossfire/rocket debacle were true but i could imagine him doing something like that.

One image i have of him was when he arrived back on the scene he was at Stoke and the dealers were taking the piss out of him losing weight. I'll always remember him standing there lifting piles of records out of Tim Ashibende's box (or someone sitting next to Tim, maybe Butch) and passing them to a minion for later payment. He certainly had the dosh to rebuild his collection.

Whatever anyone thinks of him however, no one can deny his influence. Last i heard he'd sold all his records (mostly to Gavin Stern i think) to buy Doctor Who memorabilia and rare comic books. :(

Agree with Billy, he probably will be back. Who stays away from the scene forever...?

Happy new year everyone, see some tonight at Stoke :D

Matt

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Heard about from couple of lads locally. Said it was almost unregulated, very funny & with some massive arguments.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the subject was Rare Soul it was a great site , but it went on a free fall downward spiral

causing a lot of unrest on the Northern Scene when Ian L started rubbishing certain good people

I must say there where some great debates regarding the scene myself and Kev Roberts had quiet

a long drawn out debate which at times was comical and just shows how two people who have been on the

Northern Sence so long can have differing views ! On the subject of Ian Levine even tho with his outspoken

motor gob I have nothing but respect for the work and dedication he has put into Soul Music for over 30 yrs

personally I like Ian and have always found him to be willing to spend time talking about the scene we all love , Ians not everyone,s cup of tea but his record durin the 70,s in Blackpools Highland Room and more recently with his Nightmare label ect ect ect puts him well in the iconic range of Soulies who have paid their dues, Ian helped to shape the rare soul scene in the 70,s and I for one am so glad I was there when it was happening.. One story Ian told me that always sticks in my throat was when he finally tracked down Alfie Davison for the Northern Soul Video he put together Alfie was skint could,nt even afford his telephone bill but when Ian told him that a 45 he recorded Love is a serious business was worshiped by thousands of soulies here in the UK the guy was gobsmacked and thrilled to bits that his life had meaned so much to so many people, that story can be repeated time after time when certain artist hear for the first time that records they made during their youth had become sought after by followers of the Soul Scene here in Europe..

Regards Ian Cunliffe......HAPPY NEW YEAR !

Social source share

Hee hee! Ian produced Take That's second, third and fourth hit records, mostly with Billy Griffin. I was witness to elements of those sessions. He also gave Robbie Williams his first crack at lead vocals. I love the Louis Walsh /Ronan Keating story! I find that voice almost as excrusiatingas as I do Micheal Bolton's! ANS still exists in very quiet form -without Ian I might add - but with a small hardcore of orginal members. I saw the sheer nastiness that Ian got offlist . He's always surrounded with controversy and not always of his own doing but at the same time thats his choice. The background two face-ed-ness that surrounded "The Rocket" is a book in itself - and a lot was going on from within, a fact that became more evident later. But love him or hate him the Northern scene is definately quiter without him. Best records? For me it's a toss up between The Lovetone's "Fire Alarm" Chuck Jackson's "All Over The World" David Ruffin's "Hurt The One You Love" Karen Pree's "Girl With A Broken Heart" Herman Griffin's "Not One Chance In A Million", James Wells "Baby, I'm Still The Same Man", Saundra Edwards "No More Room In My Heart" and the Nightmare 12" version of Brenda Reid and The New Exciters "Reaching For The Best". The Highland Dub Mix had to be heard to be believed. For someone who doesn't do drugs, I'd hate to have seen what it was going on in his head that day. It's the perfect clash of the two biggest homegrown underground influences on the UK dance scene, Northern Soul and Hi Energy. But as with all Ian's records, best heard in a club.

Social source share

No doubt the man is a legend. Groundbraking stuff at the Highland Room etc.

However the mission statement when he was at the Rocket couple of years back, "Ian Levine declares war on London's soul clubs". That and scuppering Crossfire's all night licence leaves a bit of a bad taste to be honest.

What, you mean the one they set up to sabotage Levine's Rocket allnighter?

Social source share

What, you mean the one they set up to sabotage Levine's Rocket allnighter?

That's the one, pity cos we could have been dancing to Gene Toones until six at Crossfire, instead of listening to the Snake at the Rocket and Interplay.

Be interesting to know the chronology of events. What came first the war declaration, or the sabotage?

Maybe if he plans a return visit to the south, he should come armed with more than the Snake and Interplay! :D

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

The Major... what a cracker... any chance of getting him to post on here?

I believe that his distant cousin is already a member Mr Dawg :(:D

Social source share

Be interesting to know the chronology of events. What came first the war declaration, or the sabotage?

Maybe if he plans a return visit to the south, he should come armed with more than the Snake and Interplay! :thumbsup:

Quite simple really, if the selfish b`stards at the Dome had offered the lovely man a spot when he honoured them with his presence as a `punter` then all the nastyness could have been avoided. :D:(

Social source share

Quite simple really, if the selfish b`stards at the Dome had offered the lovely man a spot when he honoured them with his presence as a `punter` then all the nastyness could have been avoided. :(:thumbsup:

Dome? I know what you mean :thumbsup: And a very good point. :D

Though I'd heard that he was/is a bit of a handful as a guest. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yeah like I bet he really played those two records.

Some f****r did, I was there! Couldn't rule him out and if it wasn't him, he should have discouraged such practice from his dj's. It's not 1985 wer're talking about.

Anyway happy new year to him, you Pete, Mark Bick + his Mrs and All SS'rs I'm orf down the Boars Head. :(:D

Edited by Simsy
Social source share

Thanks to every body for making this thread balanced & interesting.

Col.

Whats up with you Col, first you plead for the most interesting thread of the year to be closed down, now you want things all peaceful and lovely.

It's never a balanced thread when it's about Levine because he isn't here to defend himself against the lies that most people spread about him.

Some f****r did, I was there! Couldn't rule him out and if it wasn't him, he should have discouraged such pratice from his dj's. It's not 1985 wer're talking about.

Anyway happy new year to him, you Pete, Mark Bick + his Mrs and All SS'rs I'm orf down the Boars Head. :(:D

He'd have been tucked up in bed by the time you got there and hey, what if someone actually requested the records??

Social source share

Some f****r did, I was there! Couldn't rule him out and if it wasn't him, he should have discouraged such practice from his dj's. It's not 1985 wer're talking about.

Well I wasn`t there, but if he was teaching Northern Soul to the Londoners then what`s wrong with starting at the beginning?

Social source share

Thanks to every body for making this thread balanced & interesting.

Simon are you able to post any of those tunes either up here or in the library?

Col.

Can do Col. I'm not sure they'll be to everyones taste tho ! Incidently there are two versions of L.J. Johnsons "Your Magic Put A Spell On Me" -one is better than the other imo - it's actually less 'Northern' than the other.
Social source share

Funnily enuf I was there at the Dome "incident'. Right there in fact. There are some funny f*ckers around and they're not all from Blackpool !

P.S. Levine didn't play "The Snake" or "Interplay" and thats a fact, not conjecture. I can't imagine who did, if anyone did at all.

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

a hard man to get along with unless you know him well and dont take his prissy fits too literally...no one can deny the contribution he made on the northern soul scene..at least he had the balls to play something new and different and theres nowt wrong with that...venues blah blah its the same wether its some one well known or not ..he said she said....snipe snipe snipe..lets face it the glut of venues everywhere and people not consulting each other will be the death of this scene...complete overkill... :(

cookie :D

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Can't say I like the guy, but no way can you knock his contribution to our scene.

Great memory from the Blue Room (Sale Mecca) in the 70's, my mate ask's Ian who was DJing for "TIME" and Ian looks at watch and replies just gone 8.15, my mate replies EDWIN STARR you fxxking idiot, we all fell about laughing. :D

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

just remind us all of your immeasurable contribution to the scene " soulsmith " ??????

:D Nice one Col, you've started another argument...

I bet Col can defend himself, but i don't think he was having a go at Ian Levine, he was genuinely curious. To be honest 'Greenlight' your response is a typical Levine reaction. Good to hear from you again...

And before you ask, no i have contributed nothing to the soul scene either...

All the best. Nearly time to put on my dancing shoes :(

Matt

Social source share

Can do Col. I'm not sure they'll be to everyones taste tho ! Incidently there are two versions of L.J. Johnsons "Your Magic Put A Spell On Me" -one is better than the other imo - it's actually less 'Northern' than the other.
As mentioned in previous thread,other side to 24 hours,on avi records.... :D
Social source share

:D Nice one Col, you've started another argument...

I bet Col can defend himself, but i don't think he was having a go at Ian Levine, he was genuinely curious. To be honest 'Greenlight' your response is a typical Levine reaction. Good to hear from you again...

And before you ask, no i have contributed nothing to the soul scene either...

All the best. Nearly time to put on my dancing shoes :thumbsup:

Matt

whats a typical levine reaction???..i dont get it are you sayin that greenlight is levine??? :thumbsup:

cookie :(

Social source share

anyone who has even the slightest knowledge of the soul scene would know of levine's immense contribution over the last 30 odd years.

just remind us all of your immeasurable contribution to the scene " soulsmith " ??????

Blimey, I never saw that one coming? What did I do to deserve that?

Posted thread 'cos I was genuinely interested & thought other people would be.

Col.

PS I have no immeasurable contribution to the scene.

Just love the scene, the music & just about every body on it.

Social source share

Absolutely - and unashamedly - love both "Weakspot" and "Doomsday" by Evelyn Thomas.

Two fabulous slices of pop soul !

Ruffin's "Hurt The One You Love" was good too, but Ruffin sounded like he was truly suffering and in pain , mustn't have been too long after that he died ..............

Social source share

I like that single for charity Levine sang with Corbett, Parkinson, Tony Christie et al. Waving his arms about and smiling all the way through he was. No sign of ego problems there. It was on the telly.

Cheap moving backdrop film effects though - yet no odd camera angles.

GARLIC BREAD. GARLIC IN BREAD !

:thumbsup:

Hammy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert