Becks Beer, Modern Art, Church Music And Northern Soul

Mike

link landed on my email mat this morning ......

sort of tried to picture what it may actually be but gave up after a bit

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13 under-35s line up for Beck's Futures award

· Only one painter in the running for £20,000 prize

Charlotte Higgins, arts correspondent

Thursday January 12, 2006

The Guardian

A reproduction of the first edition of Ulysses, but with the words printed in alphabetical order. A manga-inspired comic book about an unrecognised artistic genius. A restaging of a northern soul event with the music transcribed for church organ.These are works by some of the 13 artists under 35 nominated for Beck's Futures, the younger, edgier sibling of the Turner prize run by the Institute of Contemporary Arts in London.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Brian Ellis

link landed on my email mat this morning ......

sort of tried to picture what it may actually be but gave up after a bit

A restaging of a northern soul event with the music transcribed for church organ.

A new slant on things Mike. Perhaps the Reverends Cecil Washington and Jackie Beavers will be doing the sermons :D .

Love to hear some 100mph stompers blaring out on the pipe organ. Expect they'll be dancing in the aisles!!

Brian

Social source share

A restaging of a northern soul event with the music transcribed for church organ.

This was connected to the film piece that was shown in Dundee Contemporary Arts centre last year (featuring some dancers from this very forum :D )...

From the DCA site...

"Matt Stokes' atmospheric film, made in Dundee's stunning St, Salvador's Church, brought together two communities, drawing on the city's history as the home of a small but strong Northern Soul scene. It was accompanied by a series of organ recitals across the city."

Social source share

This was connected to the film piece that was shown in Dundee Contemporary Arts centre last year (featuring some dancers from this very forum thumbsup.gif )...

From the DCA site...

"Matt Stokes' atmospheric film, made in Dundee's stunning St, Salvador's Church, brought together two communities, drawing on the city's history as the home of a small but strong Northern Soul scene. It was accompanied by a series of organ recitals across the city."

sorry to but in

i was lucky enough to see some of the unshown filming of the two nights in the church. the folks that done this should be going over there footage again becouse there is without doubt a programe in there . we were speeding up and slowing down stuff of them dancing and it looked great, and that shot where they panned from the ground floor all the way through spins, high kicks, acrobatics and finally on to the painted organ and ceilling was just breath taking ,almost religious..... soulies dancing to there soulful (some might say the devils music) music.in a place of worship, was just an amasing sight. so please who ever did the film get in the cutting room and get the unseen bits put together , some interviews it would make great viewing

the sounds of" rosmary baby" echoing through the church was just the icing on the cake.

sorry for butting in, so ill but out

Social source share

sorry to but in

i was lucky enough to see some of the unshown filming of the two nights in the church. the folks that done this should be going over there footage again becouse there is without doubt a programe in there . we were speeding up and slowing down stuff of them dancing and it looked great, and that shot where they panned from the ground floor all the way through spins, high kicks, acrobatics and finally on to the painted organ and ceilling was just breath taking ,almost religious..... soulies dancing to there soulful (some might say the devils music) music.in a place of worship, was just an amasing sight. so please who ever did the film get in the cutting room and get the unseen bits put together , some interviews it would make great viewing

the sounds of" rosmary baby" echoing through the church was just the icing on the cake.

sorry for butting in, so ill but out

Thought the film that was displayed was good so would be great to see some of that.. :thumbsup:thumbsup.gif

Social source share

apparently it's tony clayton's big comeback project

thumbsup.gif:thumbsup::unsure: tony came up to dj at an allnighter in edinburgh many years ago, well i say edinburgh , it was in the jack kane centre. slap bang in one of the most deplived areas in the town .niddrie. well tony as always was wearing his dog collar. now you would have though that the young mob out side ,seeing a man of the collar getting out of the car. the car would be safe. not a bit of it his was the first car rolled down into the ditch. dont think the reverend was up in scotland much after that

Social source share

Thought the film that was displayed was good so would be great to see some of that.. :thumbsup:thumbsup.gif

hi rachel

find out from some of the dancers that you know were on the programe they were ment to get a cd of the extra filmed footage, thats how i saw it.

jol

Social source share

hi rachel

find out from some of the dancers that you know were on the programe they were ment to get a cd of the extra filmed footage, thats how i saw it.

jol

This topic is perfectly timed, I'm not sure if the church organ recital is exactly the same one that Matt Stokes created for the Dundee "Our Surroundings" project but it sounds like it. Matt did a heap of research and decided to cover the Northern scene as it was in Dundee mid 70's. This culminated in him bringing 30 of the countries best dancers all together and filming them in St Salvador's Church. As a seperate piece of work he had professional organists transpose some Northern classics into organ music and played them to a packed audience. Anyway, back to the point................

The film cut that was shown lasted about 6 mins ( from 8 hrs filming) and was featured in the exhibition in Dundee last summer.

We have the kind permission from Matt to show the full edited version at the Gennas 5th Anniversary in Dundee on Feb 3rd. We've got a big screen which will show the entire footage of all the dancers and we'll keep it running all night.

Other attractions that night are DJ's Keith Money, Fraser Dunn, Alan Paterson

Anybody need more details then pm/email me

cheers

alan

Social source share

This topic is perfectly timed, I'm not sure if the church organ recital is exactly the same one that Matt Stokes created for the Dundee "Our Surroundings" project but it sounds like it. Matt did a heap of research and decided to cover the Northern scene as it was in Dundee mid 70's. This culminated in him bringing 30 of the countries best dancers all together and filming them in St Salvador's Church. As a seperate piece of work he had professional organists transpose some Northern classics into organ music and played them to a packed audience. Anyway, back to the point................

The film cut that was shown lasted about 6 mins ( from 8 hrs filming) and was featured in the exhibition in Dundee last summer.

We have the kind permission from Matt to show the full edited version at the Gennas 5th Anniversary in Dundee on Feb 3rd. We've got a big screen which will show the entire footage of all the dancers and we'll keep it running all night.

Other attractions that night are DJ's Keith Money, Fraser Dunn, Alan Paterson

Anybody need more details then pm/email me

cheers

alan

Yes it is the same one they're talking about, he's one of the artists up for the prize beer.gif

Hoping to get to Gennas so look forward to seeing the rest of the film whistling.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert