John Manships Auction Results 28-11-2012

JOE TORQUAY

7575sm.jpg

Sheepherders With Bubba Bailey

If Ever You Need Me

You are viewing a record that only a handful of collectors on the planet seen in the flesh and even less have owned.

Spectacular hammond driven Norfolk, Virginia Northern Soul from the strangest named group on the Northern Soul scene. Strange the name may be, but there’s nothing strange about the lead vocalists prowess or the potent brass interruptions or the ear-piercing vocal-group chorus.

THIS IS NORTHERN SOUL - DISTILLED! into RAREST OF THE RARE!!

Sorry, this item has already been won!

The winning bid was £ 1,142.00

7574sm.jpg

Kitty And Her Kats

Tell Me Pretty Baby

A listing the vinyl-curious who look past the obvious, and Fabulously smooth sixties girl-group vocal harmony ballad that we just adore.

COULEE a small town Wisconsin label has made quite a name for itself, from being a vehicle for so many local artists covering most-every conceivable form of music from 60s Garage, Country, Rockabilly to Teen; you name it they probably pressed - but only in ridiculously tiny quantities.

A local outlet for aspiring stars… but very little if any could be classified as Soul other than an obscure harmony groove from the STUDEBAKER “7” this delight your about to hear is the only other soul 45 we have listed on this cult-label.

RARE in the extreme and just brimming with skilled harmony and emotion. A top drawer 45 in it’s genre.

The winning bid was £ 151.00

7562sm.jpg

Eskew (esque-rita) Reeder

You Better Believe Me

WARNING do not try and dance to this record unless a fully-experienced Northern Soul show-off.

Buckle up - “Ice Road Truckers” could not handle this high-speed, adrenaline fueled out-of-control juggernaut of Northern Soul!

A crazed Los Angeles creation for the NS gymnastic or the amphetamine inspired mover…as Eskew takes his vocal to limits has he chases Arthur Wright’s outrageous arrangement…

Does Northern Soul get any punchier than this?

We think not..

The winning bid was £ 296.00

7565sm.jpg

Four Tops

What You Gonna Do With Me Baby

It is a rare event indeed, for the opportunity to own a Four Tops recording that never achieved 45 or Album track release.

So when it carries every element of Motown excellence that lifted this quartet to worldwide admiration - this is not a chance to pass by.

Click the sound file and prepare to be inspired by an “Ask The Lonely” style mid-tempo masterpiece that the Tops just effortlessly float through. Understated trumpets and strings build the atmosphere as a backing chorus add a sharp edge to this dreamy session.

This 2:45 minute long Motown 10” studio drips with provenance; dated May 12Th. 1966 take CCMN-2598-NHDD + 8.00. Has board-meeting notes Stated Lead vocal is incoherent and string need to be stronger - underlining Motown’s board constantly striving for perfection (to my ears it sounds just great!).

In a year when the The Tops invaded the charts with “Reach Out I’ll Be There” “Shake Me Wake Me (When It’s Over)” “Loving You Is Sweet Than Ever” “St anding In The Shadows Of Love” you can forgive this beauty may have just slipped by without a re-cut of the session.

Unique, historic and totally essential to anyone serious about Motown, Northern Soul or unique world one-offs.

The winning bid was £ 336.00

Social source share

7579sm.jpg

Pat Thomas

I Can't Wait Until I See My Baby's Face C/w The Long Long Night

This weeks weird & wonderful Northern Soul 45 from the far reaches f the globe is the in-demand Pat Thomas original version of the better known Baby Washington’s timeless classic - pressed 1964 in JAPAN!

This is the original version of this much-recorded song. No matter which artists this is a Northern Soul winner.. Jerry Ragavoy & Pat Thomas composition, arrangement skills of Garry Sherman create two tunes of some quality, both are thoroughly potent productions !

Ridiculously RARE and sporting a rarely seen picture sleeve of this New York beauty.

The winning bid was £ 130.00

7578sm.jpg

Delilah Moore

It Takes Love C/w Wrapped Up Tight

Delilah Moore’s D.I.Y. project just simmers with class; written & arranged by this gifted Los Angeles Soul Sister who wowed us with her two Money 45s, but this Middle Earth indie is infinitely rarer.

A beautifully constructed horn propelled crossover Northern Soul dancer with Delilah’s jazzy vocal supported by a gang of strident girls, as they follow the piano rhythm in this rise & fall Ruth Wiggins production.

Of it’s type this is simply one of the very finest..

The winning bid was £ 468.00

7580sm.jpg

Rhythm & Soul Edition 1, 2 & 3

Rhythm & Soul Set

All THREE copies of this rare 1966 fanzine - a little known Dave Godin project has he expanded his editorial talents beyond the Motown Appreciation society.

ALL ISSUES review new releases and promo’s received this month. plus superb Record Company ads like SUE, DUKE & PEACOCK, etc.

April 66. pics & bio on Irma Thomas, Tammi Terrell, Nina Simone, Wilson Pickett, Billy Stewart.

May 66 Bessie & Larry Banks, Sam & Bill, Dee Dee Warwick, Sam & Dave

June 1966 pics & bio on James Brown, Ko Ko Taylor, Vibrations, Martha & The Vandellas, Gloria Gaynor

For the first time ever we are able to off all THREE issues together, in just perfect condition. Essential and historical 60s soul referencing..

The winning bid was £ 51.00

7576sm.jpg

Martha And The Vandellas

Hittin'

Seldom seen 1966 for track UK EP with the eye-catching sleeve.

Tracks include: 1. What am I going to do without your love 2. You’ve been in love too long 3. Nowhere to run 4. Quicksand

Fully laminated sleeve is free of tears, writing or seam splits. the only minor flaw is a crease bottom right hand corner (see scan). Both labels are flawless, vinyl only reveals a few minor hairline blemishes in strong light.

A beautiful clean copy - of one of the more elusive numbers in this highly-sought after series.

The winning bid was £ 78.00

Social source share

7561sm.jpg

Fiats

Speak Words Of Love

I defy you to listen and not be drawn into an overwhelming desire for ownership.

This is DETROIT vocal-group Northern Soul at it’s most-endearing. A tightly constructed harmony is molded by Dale Warren, as the gathering weld the lyrics into a sheet of pure soulful delight. A seamless experience of different vocal-pitches weaving into flowing wall of sound. It’s mid-tempo arrangement inducing a gentle swaying as you listen - a sure sign for a dancefloor winner..

Then a stroke a genius Dale Warren adds an “Ealing Studio” style string section for the backing. For Detroit this is a refreshing change from the Motownesque production..

Simplistic but totally addictive…

The winning bid was £ 71.00

7563sm.jpg

Magictones

How Can I Forgot You C/w Me And My Baby

Eight Wheelsville releases earlier “Me And My Baby” backed up the fine “Gotta Get A Little Closer” on this disc it’s backs the Magictones finest and most elusive Northern Soul offering.

This 45 just screams DETROIT as Dale Warren & William Garrett inject every aspect of the Motor City Sound we adore. Blaring horn intro, is met head-on by an expressive lead vocal (Tyrone Douglas) the pumping horns are soothed by a mixture of male & female vocal-group chorus that soar hauntingly high above.

The very special backing elevates this song to greatness, as the vocal reaches its crescendo and the horns just “give it all”. This is DETROIT at it’s very best and why this hasn’t reached the value of some other inferior and in fact commoner Detroit NS delights is a mystery.

Listen, we think this mixed group have made something rather special - that the masses have so far been deprived of. Top quality tune - and totally undervalued… by DJ’s, Collectors and most of all ME!

The winning bid was £ 133.00

7564sm.jpg

Lyrics

Keep Me Close To Your Heart C/w You'll Always Beon

J. W. J. stands for Johnson-Wright-Johnson a D.I.Y. project from the tiny Michigan hamlet of Allegan. They don’t come any obscurer than this 45, which I can’t remember the last time we had this disc for sale.

Superb vocal group offering, primitive and alluring. Muted saxophone assists the vocal inter-changes as Johnson - Wright - Johnson take turns in being the lead vocal. A swirling hammond lifts the sparse production with the saxophonist persistently pumping away…but it’s the local vocals that steal the show.. from a village of less than 3,000 in the mid-60s we think this a pretty impressive…

Rare in the extreme…

The winning bid was £ 161.00

Social source share

7577sm.jpg

Van Dykes

What Will I Do (if I Lose You) C/w I've Got To Go On Without You

Even with all the 60s Soul fanzines and release sheets, this awesome vocal-group winner was missed by everyone at the time. Remaining today as one of the most difficult of Stateside’s to acquire in fine condition.

Perhaps because the dance side was the flip of an unfashionable at the time, harmony ballad. Check out the soundfile and enjoy the collaboration of Rondalis L. Tandy & Charles Stewart the driving force behind this gathering of talent.

Topside is a strong dance tune I rate second only to their last record the magnificent “Save My Love For A Rainy Day”. Flipping it over you’ll experience what this 3 man team were really all about - top-of-the-tree harmonies matched by few other soul trios of the 60s. Two superb sides…

Do check out all of Rondalis L. Tandy, Wenzon Mosley & James Mays recordings, they only had 7 45 and 1 album but for me everything they crafted is outstanding SOUL!

The winning bid was £ 67.00

7560sm.jpg

Dee Dee Sharp

Standing In The Need Of Love C/w I Really Love You

Even back in 1965 Kenny Gamble & Leon Huff were showing skills ahead of the time.

Check out this double helping of Philadelphia Northern Soul - both sides just epitomize the sound. Topside was a hugely popular Twisted Wheel classic that has endured the test of time and is still today a popular dancefloor filler.

The slightly slower flipside has over the decades gain a cult following and right so. A killer mid-tempo from the pen of Jimmy Bishop & Kenny Gamble, arranged by the prolific Joe Renzetti & produced by Kenny Gamble & Leon Huff. Today for me this is the side for a DJing renaissance just a perfect Northern Soul down-beat moment.

Before of course is the tricky to acquire 1965 UK press is sublime flawless condition.

The winning bid was £ 111.00

7581sm.jpg

Bobby Valentin

Let's Turn On / Arrebebatarnos

Rare Venezuelan press inc: use it before you lose it !

Latin trumpeter extraordinaire leads his 8 man team through a Latin extravaganza of dance.

Not only contains his monster “Use It Before You Lose It” but also many other attention-seeking other goodies like “Funky Big Feet” + “Ki Ki Ri Ki”

Junior Morales hard-edged vocal punches the vocals into a mix of trumpet, Sax, Trombone, Bass, Paino, Timbales, Conga, Bongos -

Electrifying Latin dance that ignites all and every dance hall…

Listen and feel the energy..

The winning bid was £ 128.00

Social source share

that's not the "good" lyrics though, they have 4 on JWJ. The best one is "thoughts of a summer's day".

not that it matter because it was recorded in detroit, but the Fiats are from New York. They are almost the same (White) group as the lost souls on glascoe. Info here: https://www.venturemu...com/pmp/chs.htm

I don't know anything about the Lyrics but there's two really good garage records on the JWJ label by the Mixed Emotions from the Findlay, OH area. Having found some Lyrics 45s over the years cheap (including the one you mention) do you or anyone know their story? I don't remember exactly how the ME bypassed Cleveland, Detroit, and Chicago to record up there - on two different occasions - but I think the manager knew someone. The studio was on site. It was not a vanity label, I think they actively recruited artists.

Social source share

I don't know anything about the Lyrics but there's two really good garage records on the JWJ label by the Mixed Emotions from the Findlay, OH area. Having found some Lyrics 45s over the years cheap (including the one you mention) do you or anyone know their story? I don't remember exactly how the ME bypassed Cleveland, Detroit, and Chicago to record up there - on two different occasions - but I think the manager knew someone. The studio was on site. It was not a vanity label, I think they actively recruited artists.

there's one other soul 45 by lanie allen, it has no group though. the other lyrics 45s are all duo 45s, one of them has a nice sweet side.

Social source share

that's not the "good" lyrics though, they have 4 on JWJ. The best one is "thoughts of a summer's day".

not that it matter because it was recorded in detroit, but the Fiats are from New York. They are almost the same (White) group as the lost souls on glascoe. Info here: https://www.venturemu...com/pmp/chs.htm

not imho bob ..but then again i go for uptempo burbling kinda messy soul over sweet or deep soul any day of the week

Social source share

not imho bob ..but then again i go for uptempo burbling kinda messy soul over sweet or deep soul any day of the week

ok, I was just clarifying because you were referring to "the lyrics" as if there were one record when there are four. If you are talking about and like this particular record, that's cool.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!