Sam Dees "easier To Say Than Do" Lo Lo

Called over to see my old buddy Craig Butler in Brighouse last night to eat fish n chips, drink beer and play some tunes. Are we northern or what? Played him Sam Dees "Easier to say than do" on Lo Lo - oh dear is that a seriously good tune or what? Craig immediately wrote it down which is always a good sign that he wants a copy.

Realised my copy's double sided - damn - should there be a flip side and if so whats it like?

Is there anything else on Lo Lo worth hunting apart from the Bobby Hill things? Anybody seen/got a label listing?

derek

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The other Sam Dees single on LoLo, a version of "It's All Wrong, But It's All Right" is pretty good too, but maybe not quite as strong as "Easier..."

BTW, what's a fair price for Bobby Hill's "Tell Me You Love Me" nowadays?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Called over to see my old buddy Craig Butler in Brighouse last night to eat fish n chips, drink beer and play some tunes. Are we northern or what? Played him Sam Dees "Easier to say than do" on Lo Lo - oh dear is that a seriously good tune or what? Craig immediately wrote it down which is always a good sign that he wants a copy.

Realised my copy's double sided - damn - should there be a flip side and if so whats it like?

Is there anything else on Lo Lo worth hunting apart from the Bobby Hill things? Anybody seen/got a label listing?

derek

Derek -

There are seven records on Lo Lo in total. I have a full listing, but not in a format that I can attach to a Soul Source posting, unfortunately. If you PM me with your home e-mail address, I'll send you the listing as an attachment.

BTW there was going to be an eighth single on Lo Lo, but the label folded and George Kerr decided to sell the tape of "3 Minutes 2 Hey Girl" to All Platinum instead. It was going to be LL 2308. It was cut at the same session as the Top Shelf 45, incidentally...

TONE :lol:

Social source share

Sam Dees "Easier to say than do" on Lo Lo - oh dear is that a seriously good tune or what? Craig immediately wrote it down which is always a good sign that he wants a copy.

There's also a great version of Easier....... by Charles Hodges on Calla. Hard to decide which is the superior version. Having just spun them both I think CH just shades it.

Pat

Social source share

There's also a great version of

Another Great version is Bettye Lavette's rendering. If you listen (closely) I'd swear you could hear Sam Dees in the background, as if Bettye was singing directly over his track.

When I asked her about it she said "Shit No... He was singing over MY track!"

That's Bettye!

Think I was right though, as Sam's came out in 69, a year prior to Lavette 'unissued' recording.

The track was also issued as by Little Johnny Blair on House Of The Fox, who I believe was in fact Charles Hodges.

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

And how much does 'The Children' / 'I wanna be with you' go for also?!! I've listed a spare I have on eBay and on here about four times in the past with no interest whatsoever. Both sides are fantastic imho.

Hey up Miles hows it going? Would be interested to hear The Children 45 you've got up for grabs.

There are seven records on Lo Lo in total. TONE

thanks for that Tone - have PM'd you.

There's also a great version of Easier....... by Charles Hodges on Calla. Hard to decide which is the superior version. Having just spun them both I think CH just shades it. Pat

didnt know of the Charlie Hodges version Pat - you've sold it well (laughs)

Another Great version is Bettye Lavette's rendering. The track was also issued as by Little Johnny Blair on House Of The Fox, who I believe was in fact Charles Hodges.Sean Hampsey

where is Betty's version to be found Sean? Now you've mentioned it I seem to think I've got it on a UK Charly album from the late 80s or something? Must have a delve when I get home.

Is this post a nice example of collectors sharing information or what? I come on here asking about Sam's release and find out there's another 3 versions of it all worth picking up. Mind you it is a quality song even with my voice I bet I could get it into the charts, possibly top ten even...

derek

Social source share

It came out on a Charly EP in 1980, Derek.

Tracks Are:

• Easier To Say Than Do
  • Let Me Down Easy
  • Piece Of My Heart

Should be quite easy to obtain.

And, Yes, you do need the Bobby Hill "I Wanna Be With You". Its a sublime piece of Soul Music (I have it on both Lolo and Calla).

Agree, great thread you started mate.

Spread the faith!

:(

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert