Portable Record Players

I have been looking into purchasing a portable battery powered turntable to bring with me to record shows, stores, ect. I would prefer to buy something with a speaker built-in and a head phone jack. My question is what options are out there? Is it better to spend the money and buy a Sound Burger or stick with one on the more economical players on the market now? I have used the FisherPrice childern's play table and have not been impressed with them. What do you think? Are there any threads already going on this subject? Thank you for your help. 

Social source share

I also bring the Numark PT-01.  I've had the same one since 2007 and upgraded the needle to a diamond needle.  I have brought it many times on trips in my suitcase, etc.  It runs on 6 D batteries, and I use it a lot at home and in my travels and only change batteries a couple of times a year.  I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of it.  I much prefer to use the headphones when out and about, as the speaker isn't very loud, but it works well sitting next to me at home.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have the vestax handitrax, the first portable made in the new wave of portables, somewhere between 10-15 years ago. although it seems plasticky, i can confirm that it's built like a tank, as i still have it and it's had heavy abuse and even been underwater for two days once (rain flooding my car related). i actually use it at home too to listen to stacks of 45s with headphones. You can hear the plasticy tonearm but overall it sounds decent.

they recently doubled in price though as they have become popular with hiphop DJs setting up in parks and running a pair through mixers. 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I got the Vestax few years ago too and am well pelased with it . Think it has gone up in price cos it now has USB. - These USB turntables are great for getiing your vinyl on to your laptop/ipad/mp3 etc  - got a Denon USB one last year and it's great sound & build quality.

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

forget the soundburger, i was bidding on one couple of months ago and it went for over £150.00 beyond my reach, thats a lot of records, I usually troll the boot sales and a half decent one comes up couple of times a year but then i sell it because of silly offers even though i tell what i paid

Social source share

I have the Numark PT-01 but it is pretty bulky but I have it set up on the desk by my laptop and it works very well for that. I actually scored a SoundBurger locally for a very decent price and it is working well so far.

My Brother-in-law has a Columbia?, it looks great and has a great sound but I have never seen one for sale.

Looked at the Crossley but it really does not look very substantial

Social source share

Urban Outfitters (cringe) sells a few different models from Crosley and other makers. Easy if you just want to drop into a shop for one. Also Guitar Center in the US would be a good bet. I'm thinking its time I get one of these too.

Guitar Center is where i purchased both my Numark USB turntable and my Numark portable.  Those Crosley turntables are garbage and have poor needles.  However, I have heard the Dansette model is good, as they use an Audio Technica good cartridge.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Vestax , vestax , vestax best portable I've known had mine also since it came on the market and like Boba said at a glance seems a bit made in China type appearance however I can confirm that I have taken my vestax all over the world and all over Britain to every soul night , nighter and weekender this baby has never let me down just keep spare batteries just incase , this machine is as robust as it gets .You won't go wrong mate regards Simon.

Social source share

I had the Vestax when it first came out but I couldn't live with it. The design of the tone arm pick up is too small and too low and I found it very difficult to take off the record without scratching the vinyl. Also the Numark has an adjustable pitch control. Numark for me. Oh, and the Numark is much louder when you are at a nighter you need to be able to hear it.

Social source share

I had the Vestax when it first came out but I couldn't live with it. The design of the tone arm pick up is too small and too low and I found it very difficult to take off the record without scratching the vinyl. Also the Numark has an adjustable pitch control. Numark for me. Oh, and the Numark is much louder when you are at a nighter you need to be able to hear it.

the vestax has a pitch control and a tone control (and I have the first model that i bought a week within it coming out). that's why hiphop DJs can use it. why is it difficult to take off the record without scratching it?

can't comment on the volume, but i wouldn't use any portable without headphones.

Social source share

I ain't messing...deadly serious!x I collect...or seem too...vintage gramaphones. I have 4 at present. This stock pic on Ebay is the exact model I have from Decca....in as good knick too!x

$(KGrHqR,!q!FHoLEGieVBR8U!u!cKQ~~60_12.J

This is my experience....on occasion over the past 10 years during summer Sundays  I have taken a strecth Limo to a Boot Sale/Fete....I set up a stand with me Decca on it in front of the car.....spin me 45's/78's......whilst folk have a sit in the limo and collect a leaflet! In essence....earning dosh whilst spinning tunes for free! Busking kinda...hehe! The people love it and so do I! Point is....it has never let me down whichever player I take! If I ever considered flogging records at a doo...which personally I never will....I would not hesitate to take this particular model.....as it does the job!! I sharpen the needles to a finer point....adjust the speed to suit.....and as said...job done! You can pick one up for about £50 in good working order....robust....ready in an instant....aaaand those tunes that need an extra rev or less a rev or two.......sorted!!!!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

Social source share

Just read this article...Ive used the Crosley Revolution at record shows and it seem to be a decent player. Its about the same price as the vestax. One big advantage i see is that it is smaller and fits into a bag easier.  

Social source share

i've got a couple of columbias and a mixer ....... i like them but would worry about playing valuable 45s on them due to the weight of the stylus and what i can only guess is a magnet drawing it to the record (you can play them upside down!). 

CIMG2154.jpg

i think soundburger is my favourite though ... most portable and private for listening to tracks.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just read this article...Ive used the Crosley Revolution at record shows and it seem to be a decent player. Its about the same price as the vestax. One big advantage i see is that it is smaller and fits into a bag easier.  

i've heard the crosley revolution is really shitty in terms of how it's built. don't have personal experience with hit though.

Social source share

i've heard the crosley revolution is really shitty in terms of how it's built. don't have personal experience with hit though.

They are a lot lighter and it seems like they are not built to endure like the vestax are. But I do like the fact that I can walk around with out being questioned whats in the case. I'm torn on which way to go. I'm still leaning towards the vestax. I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. 

Social source share

Vestax vote again here. Had one for years and use it regularly as a testing deck.

Good thing is you can get 4 batteries for it for £2 at any quid shop and they last weeks.

Great for taking to record fairs/Car boots too.

my vestax uses 6 D batteries

Social source share

Vestax Handy Trax for me too. I picked up a black one a couple years ago and just brilliant I think. Heavy with 6 x batteries in mind you!

Linking to earlier comments above and other thread on here ("I want two of these" thread, with the recent photos / news of Hip Hop DJ Biz Markie using some superb looking one-off custom 7" Technics SL 700's), here's the clip mentioned which I recall first seeing several years ago showing what the amazing Mark James (AKA the "45 King") can do with a pair of Vestax Handy Trax.... You can see what he's doing from 45 secs in, cutting and mixing two of each same record to create short breaks and loops...Just awesome skill and creativity, even if not much care for the records once off the decks!! :elvis:  :D

Edited by 71 Steve
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

The original poster asked for a battery powered portable turntable to take to record fairs, stores. I can't see any mention of him wanting to become a hip hop Dj.

Bob when I said the Numark was louder, I meant through headphones. The speaker would be useless at an all nighter.

I still recon the Numark is the daddy, but other makes are available, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I am right though, ha ha!

Social source share

The original poster asked for a battery powered portable turntable to take to record fairs, stores. I can't see any mention of him wanting to become a hip hop Dj.

Bob when I said the Numark was louder, I meant through headphones. The speaker would be useless at an all nighter.

I still recon the Numark is the daddy, but other makes are available, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

You are correct I am definitely not looking to become a hiphop dj. But, to each their own as they say. 

I did want to take a second to thank everyone who contributed to this thread and helped me make a good investment. I'll let you know how it works out when I get it in the mail next week. Cheers. 

Social source share

this turned into the debate team message board

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!