Ray Barney (Barney's Records) Record Hunting In South Side Chicago

Tfk

Having heard many a tale of record hunting in Chicago during the 70s at this One Stop Shop "Barney's Records"

I also seem to remember being told something about The "Four Brothers Records " label and "Fast Eddie"Records being part of Ray Barney's set up at this icon location ..

This outlet is now closed but what was the story or stories ?

tfk

post-3067-0-49881100-1383951650_thumb.jp

post-3067-0-19693900-1383951665_thumb.jp

post-3067-0-48693200-1383951677_thumb.jp

post-3067-0-89993300-1383951837_thumb.jp

post-3067-0-95021200-1383951924_thumb.jp

Edited by tfk
Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Barney's is now closed, although his son still runs a electrical store next to his old location on the 'Southside', somewhere around 78th street. Barney is still alive and is a great guy for telling stories about back in the day. Barney's old 3400 Ogden site, where he ran his 'One Stop', is now a vacant lot.

Four Brothers was a separate operation, both distributor and record stores, the guy called it four brothers, as he had four sons. This has also closed, but the sons now run some food stores around the city. Their last record store and distribution location ran until fairly late. As when I last went after it closed, they had a fair bit of CD stock there. Last time I spoke to one of the sons, he told me that they had sold all the stock to someone and the building was now empty.

Another was George's Record Room, this finally closed some 10 years ago and oddly, much of the stock got moved down to a storage unit in Texas, this stock was then sold on about 5 years ago.

I'm sure some of the guys from Chicago on here, will be able to add more..........

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Barney's was an influential House Music press and distributor in the 80's - I spent a memorable day there in '92 buying bulk of local Collectable House labels ..Alleviated, Gherkin, etc. We had quite a stash by late afternoon.. When it came to settle up Ray Barney was nowhere to be found...and the deal had to be done with him..when we came back a couple of hours later the doors were shut and the locals were starting to come out to play as dusk approached...ended up making an unscheduled stop overnight (in a motel that looked like it had blood stains on the divan base)...went back Sat morning to be told by Ray that he was there the previous evening - but access is only from the side door due to the dodgy locals that hang out front!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Barney's was an influential House Music press and distributor in the 80's - I spent a memorable day there in '92 buying bulk of local Collectable House labels ..Alleviated, Gherkin, etc. We had quite a stash by late afternoon.. When it came to settle up Ray Barney was nowhere to be found...and the deal had to be done with him..when we came back a couple of hours later the doors were shut and the locals were starting to come out to play as dusk approached...ended up making an unscheduled stop overnight (in a motel that looked like it had blood stains on the divan base)...went back Sat morning to be told by Ray that he was there the previous evening - but access is only from the side door due to the dodgy locals that hang out front!

That sounds just like how I remember the area Robin, still can get a bit shady down there after dark. Barney's and Four Brothers, distributed a fair bit of house during those times.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert