John Peel Rip

Pete S

Not a soul post but I find that news really sad, an all round good bloke and far more influential on myself than the late Dave Godin...taught me a lot about music in the late 70's and early 80's and so much of my collection comes from his recommendations (non-soul obviously)

RIP

:rolleyes:

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Johnny One Trout

The Man was a Legend Pete i didn't even know he was ill. Like yourself JP had a massive influence on my non soul taste. Having said that JP's taste was so ecclectic that it incorporated just about every form of music there was. I would say that Peely was to Rock and indy music what Dave Godin was to the UK soul scene. RIP

John

Social source share

I think it's a bit sketchy at the moment but it seems he died in Peru, of a heart attack...got me thinking about all those records I used to have (most now on cd) - the clash, orange juice, joy division, josef k, devo, the brilliant Festive 50's and so on, and I'll never forget him playing Eddie Parker - Love You baby when it came out on Grapevine and he said after it "that was fantastic, more of the same please Grapevine".

Plus you were always guarnteed a smattering of top class dub reggae every night.

Social source share

Very sad news indeed. Pre-soul, John Peel got me heavily into the Clash, the Buzzcocks and the other good punk stuff, then later on Teardrops, Joy Division etc.

Half of what he played was utter shite but at least he played it.

His Festive Fifty was an institution with me and my mates.

Social source share

Sad news indeed. :rolleyes:

Remember listening to John Peel on the way home from late shifts between 1985-1988, every night a varied playlist. I actually bought a 12" single by Screamin' Tony Baxter (Get Up Offa That Thing - A tribute To James Brown), after hearing it on his show, I've never heard it other than in my living room since!

Also how many Punk records of early 80's had, thanks to John Peel on them?

Social source share

Although best known as an 'indie' DJ, he played quite a few Northern and R'n'B tracks on his show. Sad loss... :rolleyes:

link

I remember his show been on in the background in the 70s and playing Eddie Parker in amongst all that progressive shite , it was either Im Gone or Love you baby (memory's not so good now) and John describing it as "Awesome"

Social source share

Just been watching an interview with him

"an all round good bloke" sums it right up

and lots of respect for way he did things

Wasn't aware that he started off dj-ing at a Dallas RnB Radio station in early 60s

(Site note: was two threads about John Peel, now merged into this one)

Social source share

I seem to remember in about 1973 him doing a program about "underground" music and Levine did a section about Northern. Love on a mountain top was played as it was about the time of its re-release and I think Linda Jones, Just can't live my life, a biggie at the time, was also featured. John Peel "got into Northern" at this time and apparently featured a couple of tracks on his shows. Although not generally a hero of mine, I believe that his contribution to "popular" music was second to none. And possibly without him there would not have been as many "Hairies" to hassle in the early 70's!

Paul

Social source share

It is like hearing your favourite Uncle has died.

No bullshit, no image over substance just a lasting passion for good music and searching for the new and obscure.

Totally indebted to him for opening my ears and mind into all musical genres, without that life would be bland.

empty feeling

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

It shows how influetial JP was, that people who werent particularly into 80% of the music he played, still regarded him with such esteem.

As music lovers ourselves, who turn our backs on mainstream fodder served up by most radio stations, we can appreciate his love for his music.

Its comparable now, and maybe this is just a sign of growing up, that when I and most of my mates were younger, we would look down our noses at Rockers or Teds as being third class tickets, but nowadays, often get on famously with people who are 'as into' their music as we are.

I will always remeber JP at a very sunny Glastonbury playing a few records at about 4 in the afternoon on the main stage. I think a female dj had just finished and he cut short her last record she described as 'Nice'. Peel took the record off and said something like

'Bourbon biscuits are nice, we want some Rock n Roll.'

At another sunny Glastonbury, we were waiting in the NME field for 'Neds Atomic Dustbin' to come on and destroy all their popular tunes (anyone who used to watch them live will know what I mean), and JP was Djing, while a few thousand people soaked up the sun. Without saying anything he played the opening bars to 'Stiff Little Fingers - alternative Ulster', and I swear every 30 something in that field sat up.

'That got your attention didn't it', said Peely. Simple but oh so effective.

It must have been a shock to his family. There couldnt have been any previous signs becuse hillwalking in Peru is notoriously hard work, and there are always warnings about altitude sickness etc. I assume nobody knew there was a problem until it was too late.

Social source share

I used listen to John Peel late at night on the car radio driving home after dropping off my girlfriend ( now my wife of 23 years ) and whilst soul is always my first love the man deserves big respect for never selling out and always searching for new sounds.

Dave Godin

John Peel

I suddenly feel older as if it has finally hit home that I am middle aged and my youth has gone forever.

We shall not see their like again.

Social source share

I'm desperately sad about this.

I would have more O levels if it wasn't for this man (that's my story). I went into school and asked my mates if revising counted if the radio was on at the same time, they said no, but I still had to have him on from 10 ti l12 every night whatever. I would also tape it and make compilations of bands like the Fall, Red Guitars and the Three Johns.

When at college in Portsmouth he would tirelessly come down to DJ at the Friday disco, for pennies.

Later, I got a job working for his brother Alan, who became a close friend and would talk about John often. It was through him I got to meet the great man at a party, he made me roar with his off the cuff wit.

Then when I was in a band we sent Peely our singles and he played them on air, which was fantastic, so I sent him a thankyou postcard.

Part of his radio charm was his lovely voice, Ady Croasdell was mistaken for him in Belgium after doing a show, praise indeed!

You can ask anyone my age and they will say he shaped our generation.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!