Short Kuts review in Blue and Soul

Rick Cooper

Avid readers of John Manship's auctions will have noticed he has a UK copy of Your Eyes May Shine by the Short Kuts finishing on 18th November. His sales spiel is spot on except for the fact that he says that it wasn't reviewed. To be fair I didn't know it had a UK release until I saw it on ebay some years back and I only saw the B&S review recently when I got my old B&Ss out of the loft. I first heard the record when it was around on the US Pepper label in the late 70s when Soul Bowl found it in quantity. It wasn't played when it came out in 69, which is strange as it is the sort of record that would have done well. Perhaps United Artists wasn't a label that shops and buyers would expect to put out soul records. Had it been on Stax or Atlantic it may have done better.

I'll leave it to others to complain about the ridiculous price he gets/got and the fact that it has been on ebay for under £30 over the last few years.

The other records reviewed on the page I wish I had bought are Linda Lyndell and the Chess Requests EP but pocket money wouldn't stretch that far.  

Rick

564655d82f80e_shortkuts.thumb.jpg.990589

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

9 hours ago, Rick Cooper said:

Avid readers of John Manship's auctions will have noticed he has a UK copy of Your Eyes May Shine by the Short Kuts finishing on 18th November. His sales spiel is spot on except for the fact that he says that it wasn't reviewed. To be fair I didn't know it had a UK release until I saw it on ebay some years back and I only saw the B&S review recently when I got my old B&Ss out of the loft. I first heard the record when it was around on the US Pepper label in the late 70s when Soul Bowl found it in quantity. It wasn't played when it came out in 69, which is strange as it is the sort of record that would have done well. Perhaps United Artists wasn't a label that shops and buyers would expect to put out soul records. Had it been on Stax or Atlantic it may have done better.

I'll leave it to others to complain about the ridiculous price he gets/got and the fact that it has been on ebay for under £30 over the last few years.

The other records reviewed on the page I wish I had bought are Linda Lyndell and the Chess Requests EP but pocket money wouldn't stretch that far.  Rick

How much is it up to already ?

Social source share

John's original listing and the finishing price:-

Short Kuts Featuring Eddie Harrison

Your Eyes May Shine

In 1968 Memphis came to Britain almost unnoticed, well who were the “Short Kuts” ? who indeed was Eddie Harrison? Even though “Soul” in the UK was at it’s very height, this release sneaked out without so much as a nod or wink from the active Soul fanzines or the Soul Jocks of the day… seems everybody missed it, no adverts, no or little Twisted Wheel spins in fact “Your Eyes May Shine” was completely overlooked with “Eyes wide Shut”.

Surprising because this is undiluted “stompin” Northern Soul spitting attitude and indignation on ever note. Although a group, this is a Sam & Dave clone written by Isaac Hayes & David Porter, produced by Marty Lacker the driving force behind Maurice Pepper’s “Pepper Records” of Union Avenue, Memphis.

If it wasn’t for the label credits you’d swear this was Sam & Dave inside the Stax Studio’s giving it up this punchy, powerhouse Northern soul dancer.. it certainly sounds like that famed Soul-dance Duo, at their most convincing..

As the 1968 British DEMO press in near perfect condition, still in it’s birth-sleeve, it is totally Dog-Rare and highly desirable; especially as, at long last the Northern Soul scene is being shook by it’s turntable activity of late. TheUSA Pepper release is quickly rising in value, this variation you just don’t see. It is of course it’s rarest form.. so click the soundfile to enjoy what we all missed in the late 60s but what has now been given it’s long overdue chance for Northern Soul appreciation.

Having said all that, as you’d expect from a Memphis production the flipside also requires you attention, as the pace drop for a fine mid-tempo to Deep Soul session that highlights the purity of this gatherings vocal assets as they sound much more like the group they are.. another killer Soul session..

Two great sides, one very elusive disc as the 1968 DEMO.

Sorry, this item has already been won!
The winning bid was £ 230.00

Edited by Rick Cooper
Social source share

Guest johnny hart

I Was £43 out JM is amazing!  OK I expect the big dancers,the iconic classics;Salvadors, Paisians.Little Maargrett! to make big bucks,but a nonedescript Stax soundalike which most collectors have hadtucked away next to a Bobby Hebb,or afew disco Demands!, But how on earth is it elevated to ten times its current market value ? The adorable Manny a genius Salesman, I salute you.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!