New Soul Book out of Chicago

Talk of the Grapevine is that Chicago musician / producer/ musical director Willie Henderson is writing a book about his long music career .... should be good if he deals with lots of his work & not just the hit stuff .....

.... as a musician, he played on loads of 60's soul tracks cut in the Windy City .... guess we'll learn the full SP on just which tracks he was on & what he thought of the sessions in his upcomin' book ... really hope this makes it to the publishers .....

WillieHendMont.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Over a year had passed since Otis Clay's last One-derful 45 when he signed back with a Chicago based label; Dakar.

His 1st single for the inking, cut under the supervision of Willie Henderson, was "You Hurt Me For The Last Time".

The track was charting down in Florida on Ft Lauderdale based WRBD in June 1969.

What would be your fave track, that Willie was involved with, that you'd like him to deal with in his upcoming book ??   

FloridaWRBD1969ChartX.jpg

Social source share

I love these old regional soul charts, particularly interesting to see singles that did well locally, but never hit the national charts. e.g George & Gwen (McCrae), Holly Maxwell, Mary Holmes, Sam Baker, Johnny Williams and quite a few more from the one above. 

Social source share

26 minutes ago, johndelve said:

I love these old regional soul charts, particularly interesting to see singles that did well locally, but never hit the national charts. e.g George & Gwen (McCrae), Holly Maxwell, Mary Holmes, Sam Baker, Johnny Williams and quite a few more from the one above. 

I also love old regional soul 45 charts .... the radio stn ones are my faves ...... Baltimore was a 'break-out' city for soul 45's, so many record companies targeted the three soul stns there ..... for some reason LA label releases seemed to do well there .... of course, some record companies had ways of influencing the DJ's to get them to play their records .... like sending their artists to play 'free gigs' for radio DJs ....

BaltWEBBchart64j.jpg

Social source share

......... FROM ABOVE ........

RE: .... of course, some record companies had ways of influencing the (radio) DJ's to get them to play their records ....

.... ..... like sending their artists to play 'free gigs' for radio DJs ...... ......  here's a gig for Balto DJ Hot Rod .... guess he was playin' loads of Chess Records after this show ....

HotRodRoyalChessShow.jpg

Social source share

By all accounts, Willie is still working hard in the music biz .....

... he just posted this info up on Facebook .....   I Am Writing Horn Parts For 'The Great Otis Rush Tribute' at The Blues Festival On Sunday 12th Of June .....  the Rehearsal Is Next Wed (May 25th).  

Bet that will be a good gig to be at, using real brass players as well. Wonder who the featured singers will be. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert