Dreamgirls Movie - Review

Pete S

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Will the review include the top of peoples heads and general chatter?

Apparently there's one five second headshot and some audience noise from time to time...but there always is on the first cam copy, in a week there'll be a telesynch and a week after that a decent screener copy.

Social source share

Right well first I have to say I didn't know anything about this film, I wasn't familiar with the stage show so forgive me for stating the obvious. The story is a thinly disguised telling of the rise of The Supremes and in particular the ousting of the true talent (the Florence Ballard character) and the promotion of the lesser but more public-friendly face (the Diana Ros character). Eddie Murphy does a great job as a kind of Marvin gaye/James Brown hybrid.

The copy I watched was a cam (filmed from the screen using a video camera) and usually these\are only average quality but the picture\was pretty good, the sound was muffled for some of the dialogue but the songs were excellent quality. The bonus about it being a cam this time though was the amazing reaction of the audience. To begin, you could hear mild applause after a song ended - unusual in itself - but when Jennifer Hudson performed what must surely be an oscar winning performance of And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going, it sounded as if the entire audience was giving it a standing ovation...it was if they were watching a live concert and not a movie.

I last saw Jennifer Hudson being unjustly eliminated from American Idol way too early about 3 years ago. She proves with this film that she is an absolute star and gives an awesome performance as Effie White, the girl kicked out of the group for being unreliable, overweight and moody (reasons for this become apparent).

I loved the recreation of the early 60's Detroit music and recording scene and the brilliant spoofing of various Supremes album covers and TV appearances...there's also an hilarious Jackson 5 parody which got a big laugh from the audience.

At the end of the day, I wasn't keen on a lot of the songs but the performances and choreography was fantastic throughout. I'd say definitely try to see this film if you get the chance, it'll make you laugh and possibly make you cry, like it did me. Though I had drunk half a bottle of bourbon by the end of the film. And why not.

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

Right well first I have to say I didn't know anything about this film, I wasn't familiar with the stage show so forgive me for stating the obvious. The story is a thinly disguised telling of the rise of The Supremes and in particular the ousting of the true talent (the Florence Ballard character) and the promotion of the lesser but more public-friendly face (the Diana Ros character). Eddie Murphy does a great job as a kind of Marvin gaye/James Brown hybrid.

The copy I watched was a cam (filmed from the screen using a video camera) and usually these\are only average quality but the picture\was pretty good, the sound was muffled for some of the dialogue but the songs were excellent quality. The bonus about it being a cam this time though was the amazing reaction of the audience. To begin, you could hear mild applause after a song ended - unusual in itself - but when Jennifer Hudson performed what must surely be an oscar winning performance of And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going, it sounded as if the entire audience was giving it a standing ovation...it was if they were watching a live concert and not a movie.

I last saw Jennifer Hudson being unjustly eliminated from American Idol way too early about 3 years ago. She proves with this film that she is an absolute star and gives an awesome performance as Effie White, the girl kicked out of the group for being unreliable, overweight and moody (reasons for this become apparent).

I loved the recreation of the early 60's Detroit music and recording scene and the brilliant spoofing of various Supremes album covers and TV appearances...there's also an hilarious Jackson 5 parody which got a big laugh from the audience.

At the end of the day, I wasn't keen on a lot of the songs but the performances and choreography was fantastic throughout. I'd say definitely try to see this film if you get the chance, it'll make you laugh and possibly make you cry, like it did me. Though I had drunk half a bottle of bourbon by the end of the film. And why not.

Cheers Pete enjoyed reading that :D

Social source share

Thanks for that Pete.....definitely on my "films I must see/acquire in 2007" list now! (Love from a fellow bourbon addict (the biscuit variety of course! :D )

Social source share

Thanks for that Pete.....definitely on my "films I must see/acquire in 2007" list now! (Love from a fellow bourbon addict (the biscuit variety of course! :D )

I decided to drink the (imitation) jack daniels cos I thought that way I can drink as much as I like but lose the beer belly :D

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

It wasn't thinly disguised...it was "loosely based" on urban legends and disproved rumors... :lol:

I saw the original play and this movie (it is now on a limited run here), and there is no simularity to the Supremes story, only the use of the props (costumes and such). The Motown-themed music, chitlin circuit (Jimmy Early's shows) and the Detroit riots also are heavily displayed in this movie. The mention of the riots wasn't in the original play, but the powers that be felt to use it to keep the storyline moving thru different decades.

It could be any girl group in the 60s that can relate to drastic changes and sacrifices made to be on top.

For example, THE FIVE HEARTBEATS was a movie modeled after the Temptations and "loosely based" on some urban legends and disproved rumors...NOT about the Tempts themselves.

I will take a bottle of bourbon with me if I am to see it again. :)

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

THE FIVE HEARTBEATS was a movie modeled after the Temptations and "loosely based" on some urban legends and disproved rumors...NOT about the Tempts themselves.

I will take a bottle of bourbon with me if I am to see it again. :no:

Oh....I'd always thought it was based on the Dells ? :)

I think the bottle of bourbon idea is a tremendous one and shall take it up for any excursions to the fillums this year.....guaranteed to make things go with a swing! :lol:

Social source share

It wasn't thinly disguised...it was "loosely based" on urban legends and disproved rumors... :thumbsup:

I saw the original play and this movie (it is now on a limited run here), and there is no simularity to the Supremes story, only the use of the props (costumes and such). The Motown-themed music, chitlin circuit (Jimmy Early's shows) and the Detroit riots also are heavily displayed in this movie. The mention of the riots wasn't in the original play, but the powers that be felt to use it to keep the storyline moving thru different decades.

It could be any girl group in the 60s that can relate to drastic changes and sacrifices made to be on top.

For example, THE FIVE HEARTBEATS was a movie modeled after the Temptations and "loosely based" on some urban legends and disproved rumors...NOT about the Tempts themselves.

I will take a bottle of bourbon with me if I am to see it again. :wicked:

I think you must have drunk one already if you think this isn't based on Florence's exit from The Supremes...even the reasons for kicking the charachter out were the same. And what urban legend? It's100% fact that Ballard was removed and Ross promoted as the leader.

Social source share

I took the trouble and strife to see this New Years Eve and I have to agree with Pete S.

I was under the impression it was based on The Supremes story even in the Musical Stage Show days.

There were some superb "mock up's" of Dreams album covers which were direct copies of Supremes covers.

There were a lot of Motown similarites - Group was called Dreamettes - Supremes were Primettes etc etc but it did also plough its own furrow with Detorit riots, chittlin circuit etc etc as Maverick mentioned.

All in all a good way to spend a couple of hours and Jennifer Hudson's - Im Telling You is nearly as good as Jennifer Hollidays.

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

I think you must have drunk one already if you think this isn't based on Florence's exit from The Supremes...even the reasons for kicking the charachter out were the same. And what urban legend? It's100% fact that Ballard was removed and Ross promoted as the leader.

But the fact is Flo passed away in 1976 AND didn't end up having Berry's baby...Effie lived and had Curtis' daughter PLUS reunited with the Dreams...again an urban legend element was used to sell the story of DREAMGIRLS... :thumbsup:

And MILK does a body good! :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Oh....I'd always thought it was based on the Dells ? :lol:

I think the bottle of bourbon idea is a tremendous one and shall take it up for any excursions to the fillums this year.....guaranteed to make things go with a swing! :wicked:

Noticed I said MODELED...not BASED... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert