BBC 4 : Rock N Roll America

Just a heads up for those that haven't seen it, on the BBC iPlayer on BBC4 there's a 3 part documentary that documents the birth and development of Rock N Roll.  Some fantastic footage and interviews with many of our heroes are interspersed in the story and the whole thing is worth watching.  It's the BBC so there are some gaping holes in it but it's a visually stunning and well presented  set of shows that highlight the black music of the era(s) very well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0615nmw/rock-n-roll-america-1-sweet-little-sixteen

Best

Dave 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

On 02/11/2019 at 12:05, Geoff said:

I've been watching it and thoroughly enjoying it. As Dave says there are holes in it but development of a musical style is always more complicated than a 3 part series can go into.

Yep, exactly Geoff. A couple of the highlights for me was watching and listening to Allen Toussaint stories about Casimo Matassa and his legendary studios in New O'rleans.  Both legends of course now passed on and the footage of Chuck Berry completely inventing his own style of delivery. (I'm a huge CB fan!)

Regards,

Dave 

Social source share

On 03/11/2019 at 14:24, Dave Moore said:

Yep, exactly Geoff. A couple of the highlights for me was watching and listening to Allen Toussaint stories about Casimo Matassa and his legendary studios in New O'rleans.  Both legends of course now passed on and the footage of Chuck Berry completely inventing his own style of delivery. (I'm a huge CB fan!)

Regards,

Dave 

Casimo matassa had his studio in the French quarter,that is where Donna King recorded Take Me Home. Chris. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert