Blackbeat Magazine

29 minutes ago, Chalky said:

I've been scanning a few more magazines, this time Blackbeat from the early to mid 80s.  Edited and produced by Steve Guarnori and Kevin Griffin.  They were a mine of I information which is quite remarkable given there was no I internet or resources we have had stay the past decade.

Issue #10 July 1981

Blackbeat N0 10 July 1981 reduced size.pdf 8.14 MB · 3 downloads

Issue #4 June 1983

Blackbeat No 4 June 1983.pdf 9.33 MB · 0 downloads

Hi Chalky

Some fantastic facts and statistics about Soul in those articles, great reading

KR

ML

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Hooker1951 said:

Hi Chalky

Some fantastic facts and statistics about Soul in those articles, great reading

KR

ML

Hi Mick

Hope you are well?

Yes some brilliant reading and facts especially given the time they were published.

Will try and Dom a few more as time allows.

Chalks

Social source share

Just read issue #10 from 1981, I wrote the article on the U.K. label  " Destiny", first time I have seen it since it was published. I had forgotten about it completely, I can't remember interviewing Kev Roberts, let alone spending an hour with him! That's memory for you, a tip for younger members, never grow old! Thanks for posting.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts
7 hours ago, Chalky said:

I've been scanning a few more magazines, this time Blackbeat from the early to mid 80s.  Edited and produced by Steve Guarnori and Kevin Griffin.  They were a mine of I information which is quite remarkable given there was no I internet or resources we have had stay the past decade.

Issue #10 July 1981

Blackbeat N0 10 July 1981 reduced size.pdf 8.14 MB · 38 downloads

Issue #4 June 1983

Blackbeat No 4 June 1983.pdf 9.33 MB · 15 downloads

So great reading Sam's column again !!!

Thanks so much Chalky for puttin these up ! Brilliant !

Social source share

• 1 year later...

If anyone interested, had a day sort out old mags etc and found 1 spare copy of New Blackbeat , soul magazine no.4 from June 83, and 8 copies of New Blackbeat no.8 from Feb 83 ,( I'm pretty sure this is a date misprint , no 4 in June and no 8 in Feb) me thinks no 8 possible Feb 84 . 

Anyway 9 copies for sale 1x Blackbeat no. 4 and 8 X Blackbeat no. 8 ( issue no 8 features 1983 readers poll , interesting ) £5 each Inc p+p , PM me if interested PayPal f+f etc if interested , all copies intact and almost 40 yrs old so maybe rusty staples etc,

Mods if in wrong section please move to appropriate , cheers 

IMG_20220114_224926.jpg

Edited by Happy Feet
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 24/05/2020 at 09:51, Chalky said:

Issue #10 July 1981

Blackbeat N0 10 July 1981 reduced size.pdf 8.14 MB · 167 downloads

Issue #4 June 1983

Blackbeat No 4 June 1983.pdf 9.33 MB · 95 downloads

This is an excellent idear. so thanks for your time sorting it. I have misplaced and probably lost one or two copies over time,so this is really welcome. Thanks.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Just been skimming through copies. Bloody hell. Looking back now I'm in awe of the detailed knowledge contributors set out, and the amazing work Steve and Kevin put into this specific magazine, as well as obviously all the others through the decades.

I enjoyed reading my Christmas present, Iain McCartney's book Soul In Print, reviewing soul magazines like this, and you just have to give thanks for all their dedication and willingness to share.

Great to now have access to these digital copies. When you think of all of that research pre-internet, and publishing pre-home desktop computer/scanner/printer, it just beggars belief really.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!