Rock City Notts Northern Soul Nights 8t's

Guest Byrney

Anyone here used to frequent the Rock City Soul nights during the 80s wilderness years? whistling.gif

Any DJs, sounds that spring to mind etc bang em up.

I'll start with Jim Wensiora, one of his biggies at the time (that's nagging away at the back of my mind) is a version of Vince Apollo featuring a female duet of I bear Witness. Cant for the life of me remember who he sang it with

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Michael Higgins

JW was first to some incredible 60s records, including JD Bryant, Jesse Davis on Era (as James Vanelli), Joan Baker (as Betty Lavette and the Big Wheels) and James Wesley Smith (as Big John Hamilton). He guested in Scotland (Glenrothes) at least once.

Social source share

Anyone here used to frequent the Rock City Soul nights during the 80s wilderness years? whistling.gif

Yes.

Any DJs, sounds that spring to mind etc bang em up.

JW and his studio acetate of the other take of the Cashmeres, - 'Let The Door Hit Your Back'

I'll start with Jim Wensiora, one of his biggies at the time (that's nagging away at the back of my mind) is a version of Vince Apollo featuring a female duet of I bear Witness. Cant for the life of me remember who he sang it with

I seem to remember it was another of his studio acetates "Vince & Connie"

Social source share

Guest karen p

Hi Byrney,Skip here.God i have some great memories of them days all of us meeting at Rock City Notts.Meeting my good mate Alf and Trisha and the rest of the notts lot.Very cosy venue and excellent sounds and of course all the heavy rockers we had to step over if you went upstairs.How long was it going for can you remember?I seem to remember going for most of them.I miss them days.I miss alot of the Notts lot that dont go anywhere now.People like little Lynn,Trisha,Barbara,Dorette,Sandie etc.Are you still in contact with Lynn?Do you know what she's up to these days?

Social source share

Guest markmtfc

I remember going here in the so called wilderness years, all the notts lot, were in attendence, few of us from mansfield used to get there fairly regularly. Im sure bernies mate used to work behind the bar, and used to give the drinks away, cant remember his name, over to you berne.

Social source share

I remember going here in the so called wilderness years, all the notts lot, were in attendence, few of us from mansfield used to get there fairly regularly. Im sure bernies mate used to work behind the bar, and used to give the drinks away, cant remember his name, over to you berne.

Hi Mark.

His name was Lindo, right good lad - smallish black guy (well my size) with a flat top; one of the younger faces down the matches at the time. I think it was 50p a pint but as I knew him from forest I used to get rounds for 50p.

This led to chaos on occasions :D

Social source share

Hi Byrney,Skip here.God i have some great memories of them days all of us meeting at Rock City Notts.Meeting my good mate Alf and Trisha and the rest of the notts lot.Very cosy venue and excellent sounds and of course all the heavy rockers we had to step over if you went upstairs.How long was it going for can you remember?I seem to remember going for most of them.I miss them days.I miss alot of the Notts lot that dont go anywhere now.People like little Lynn,Trisha,Barbara,Dorette,Sandie etc.Are you still in contact with Lynn?Do you know what she's up to these days?

Hi Skip.

Bejesus there's some names for you, cant miss my ex Jenny from that list (another star from the time).

We had a right good mob didnt we, shame some of them don't turn up at the union. I'm ashamed to say that I havent seen Lynn for over 2 years now even though she lives a couple of miles from me and is now, and always will be a close mate. I think she's working in some community regeneration capacity for the local autnority and loving it last time we spoke

I'm going to get in touch with her and drag her somewhere, possibly the Union.

Simon - thanks for letting me know it's vince and Connie. Dare say there's not much chance of a soundfile - anyone?

Social source share

The wilderness years hey ? The turnover of sounds was amazing...with the advent of the Modern Soul scene plus the 60's mafia sounds coming to the fore , :)

You will have noticed the whistling emoticon Simon after I said wilderness years? I meant it very much to be tongue in cheek. If you think back to the thread knocking about last year that listed what was happening in the 80s it proves it was an era that was buzzing.

Social source share

You will have noticed the whistling emoticon Simon after I said wilderness years? I meant it very much to be tongue in cheek. If you think back to the thread knocking about last year that listed what was happening in the 80s it proves it was an era that was buzzing.

I guess a lot of people retired after Wigan closed ? It would be interesting to know what they did and what music they bought ? :)

Social source share

Hiya ....well I only went to Notts Palais after Wigan but perhaps that was before your time.....eek!!!

Gill :o)

Wish it was - this botox is costing me a fortune.

Another tune featured on another thread which was played week in week out at Rock City by Jim W was The Flaires - You Gotta Steal it - Rap

Social source share

Wish it was - this botox is costing me a fortune.

Another tune featured on another thread which was played week in week out at Rock City by Jim W was The Flaires - You Gotta Steal it - Rap

HI BYRNEY, ROCK CITY WHAT A SOUL HAVEN IT RAN FROM MID 83 TILLTILL AT LEAST 86 AS IT,S ME STEVE PHILLIS I WAS ONE OF THE RESIDENT D.J'S THERE MY SISTER KEPT ALL THE D.J PLAYLISTS FROM THE TIME WITH A MILLION AND ONE PHOTO'S YEP YVONNE AFEW MORE PEOPLE WHO USED TO GO ARE AS FOLLOWS dave taylor , tats, rob wigley, pete rear, tony garrnet ,lee garnett ,john begni, kitch, curley ,rick ( brighton ) grant ,darren,(bedford ) gary & julie rushbrooke , rich broughton, mad mick(ashton ), tony clayton ,stevie potts,bob & dean (newark) shippo ,lee (gudgin ) elaine,hailey ( leicester ) nick & steve stibbs, mick ,dave & lynn ,chris marriott , phil warroll, phil duckworth and his bro , plus loads of others

D.J'S AT THE TIME WHERE ORIGINAL LINE UP

DAVE RAISTRICK , GARY RUSHBROOKE , JIM WENSORIA PLUS GUEST

THAT THEN CHANGED TO DAVE RAISTRICK , JIM WENSORIA , STEVE PHILLIS, RESIDENTS AND HERE'S THE CALIBER OF GUEST'S WE HAD

KEB DARGE , GUY HENNIGAN , ARTHUR FENN, SOUL SAM, ADY CROSSDALEPAT BRADY ,DAVE THORLEY,BAZ RILEY , ROB MARRIOTT, RODGER BANKS , RICH BROUGHTON , COLIN LAW ,KITCH ,DEAN ANDERSON , ION THE GREEK, PLUS OTHERS

TUNES PLAYED AT THE TIME

JESSE DAVIS, JOANN BAKER , FLAIRS , TINA ROBERTS, MASQUADERS,J.D BRYANT, LEE MCKINNLEY & MAGNETICS, RUBY ANDREWS, FASCINATORS ,SPRINGERS, WALTER WILSON " LOVE KEEPS ME " CAIROS ,DYNAMIC THREE , OUT OF SIGHTS , LITTLE STANLEY ( BOTH ) LEE BATES , MONORAYS , BOSS FOUR , CIATATIONS , HONEY AND THE BEES , PORGY AND THE MONARCHS ,DEBONAIRES "COME BACK "

MAXINE BROWN (TORTURE ) DANNY MOORE ,MOMENTS ( HOG ) JOE STAMPLEY & UNIQUES , JERRY & UNIQUES ( YES HE WILL )SCOTTY WILLIAMS , ELLIE GREENWICH

TRENDS ( NOT TOO OLD ) PARADOX , TOO NAME AFEW

HERES SOME TOP TENS AND TWENTIES FROM THE TIME FROM MYSELF AND GUESTS

KEB DARGE

1 CHARMAINES " STANDING IN NEED OF LOVE "

2 SPRINGERS " NOTHINGS TOO GOOD "

3 SHIRELLES "HE PUT A HURT ON ME "

4 YVONNE VERNEE " DOES HE LOVE ME ANYMORE "

5 WALTER WILSON " LOVE KEEPS ME CRYING "

6 HONEY & THE BEES "ONE WAY OR THE OTHER "

7 THE CAIROS " STOP OVER LOOKINGV ME "

8 THE DYNAMIC THREE " YOU SAID YES "

9 THE FASCINATORS " IN OTHER WORDS "

10 DON RAY " IM NOT GOING TO BE YOUR FOOL "

11 THE FABULOUS IMPACTS " BABY I WANT YOU "

12 SAM AMBROSE " THE JUNGLE "

13 PORGY & THE MONARCHS " KEEP A HOLD "

14 THE TEMPOS 2 COME BACK BABY "

15 THE TRENDS NOT TOO OLD TO CRY "

PAT BRADY

1 LEE OTIS VALETINE "I LOVE YOU JUST THE SAME "

2 PROFFESSIONALS " IV'E GOT TO HAVE HER "

3 ARABIANS "LET ME TRY "

4 DARRELL BANKS " CANT GET YOU OFF MY MIND "

5 ROBBIE LAWSON "MR MISERY "

6 CHANDLERS " THREE LONELY GUYS

7 GENE MCPHATTER " SHE TRIES SO HARD "

8 JIMMY GILFORD " YOU BLEW IT BABY "

9 LOVE BANDIT " YOUR MY ONLY LOVE "

10 CARL CARLTON " HEY GIRL WERE IN LOVE

GUY HENNIGAN

1 CLAY MCMURRY & BROS JUST "ANGELINA "

2 ERIC & THE VIKINGS " HURTING "

3 DENITA JAMES " ALL THE HURT AND YOU "

4 CURTIS HARRINGTON "SUCH A SWEET THING "

5 DETROIT RHYTHM SECTION " BACKSTREETS "

6 WHIP WILLIAMS " KING FOR A DAY "

7 LEBARON TAYLOR & REVILOT STRINGS " IN THE POCKET "

8 CHRIS BARTLEY " AINT GOT NO LOVE "

9 TATE "SAVING ALL MY LOVING JUST FOR YOU "

10 JACKIE DAY "NAUGHTY BOY "

11 EARL HARRISON " OUT OF SIGHT LOVE "

12 HENRY JEROME " IN YOUR HEART "

13 TONY MICHEALS " GOOD LUCK TO YOU "

14 GERALDINE JONES & FLOORSHAKERS " THATS ALL I NEED "

15 SOUL JOE CLEMENTS " EVER ,EVER "

STEVE PHILLIS

1 CHAUMONTS " NOW YOUR GONE "

2 OSCAR PERRY " FACE REALITY "

3 MILLER SISTERS 2 YOUR LOVE "

4 ENCHANTMENTS "IN LOVE WITH YOUR DAUGHTER "

5 THE CHESSMEN " IM THROUGH "

6 LESTER TIPTON " SHE'S TOO MUCH "

7 THE N GROUP "KEEP ON RUNNING "

8 BOBBY WADE " FLAME IN MY HEART "

9 JOCK MITCHELL "YOUR MINE "

10 THE SHUFFLERS " ALWAYS BE MINE "

11 TONY GALLA " IN LOVE "

12 THE DELCOS " ARABIA

13 LITTLE NICKY SOLE "I WANTED TO TELL YOU "

14 WILLIE MASON " WHY "

15 RODD KEITH & RAINDROPS " THE LORD SAID "

16 MICKEY NEWBURY " THERE SHE GOES AGAIN "

17 GEORGE JACKSON " THAT LONELY NIGHT "

18 JIMMY BURNS " WILL YOU WAIT FOR ME "

19 RON BAXTER "THIS IS IT "

20 STANLEY MITCHELL & ROYAL JOKERS "SHE DID THIS AND THAT "

KEB DARGE

1 HERB WARD "I WOULDN'T HAVE GONE "

2 STEVE MANCHA "WHEN THE CITY SLEEPS "

3 THERESA LINDSEY " OH SO GOOD "

4 EARL JACKSON " JUST A BIT LONGER "

5 FABULOUS IMPACTS 2 BABY IWANT YOU "

6 TAMMY LYNN " YOU MY LOVE "

7 THE TEMPTONES "STARTIN OVER "

8 JOHNNY SUMMERS " IM STILL YOURS "

9 JIMMY ARMSTRONG " MYSTERY "

SHIRLEY EDWARDS " DREAM MY HEART "

STEVE PHILLIS

1 SALVADORS " DANCE WITH ME BABY "

2 FANTASTICS "YOU DONT LOVE NOBODY "

3 RON BAXTER " THIS IS IT "

4 SAM DEES " LONELY FOR YOU BABY "

5 JOHNNY COBB " FORGET HIM "

6 ART WHEELER "I SAID TIME "

7 SERVICEMEN "THE TWILIGHT ZONE "

8 ROY HAMILTON " YOU SHOOK ME UP "

9 JIMMY RADCLIFFE " STREET TALK "

10 CHARLES MANN " HEY LITTLE GIRL "

11 TONY MIDDLETON " SPANISH MAIDEN "

12 YVONNE BAKER ! IT'S BETTER TO BE "

13 BILLY PROPHET " LIKE YESTERDAY "

14 ANTHONY & AQUA LADS " I REMEMBER "

15 LITTLE WALTER &SOULSEARCHERS " IT'S JERKIN TIME "

JIMMY WENSORIA

1 JESSE DAVIS " HANG ION IN THERE "

2 HONEY & THE BEES " ONE WAY OR THE OTHER "

3 THE FASCINATORS "JUST WAKIN BY "

4 MAGNIFICENT MEN " KEEP THE FAITH "

5 THE VENTURES " YOU GOT TOO STEAL IT "

6 BETTY LAVETTE "EVERYBODYS TALKIN "

7 SAMMY CAMPBELL "MY BABY SHE'S GONE "

8 THE TEMPOS " COME BACK BABY "

9 J.D. BRYANT " I WON'T BE COMING BACK "

10 JAMES WESLEY SMITH " TALKIN BOUT WOMEN "

11 ERIC MERCURY " LONELY GIRL "

12 THE SOULETTES " BRING YOUR FINE SELF HOME "

13 JIMMY WALLACE " I'LL BE BACK "

14 RAMONA COLLINS " YOUV'E BEEN CHEATING "

15 GRACIE DUMAS " SONG OF A WOMAN "

16 GEORGE LEMMONS "FASCINATING GIRL "

17 SERVICEMEN " LOVE WILL CONQUER ALL "

18 JANEEN HENRY " BABY BOY "

19 CHICO LAMAR "WHAT DO YOU THINK I AM "

20 BABY WASHINGTON "LET IT BE ME "

21 ADMIRATIONS " YOU LEFT "

22 RICHARD ANTHONY " KEEP ON LIVING ON "

23 VINCE AND CONNIE " I BEAR WITNESS "

24 SPEEDLIMIT " I CANT SAY NO "

25 JIMMY ARMSTRONG " MYSTERY "

GOT LOADS MORE SO ANYONE WANTING MORE GET IN TOUCH AHH THE GOOD OLD DAYS OF ROCK CITY

STEVE P :thumbsup::D:lamsey:

Social source share

HI BYRNEY, ROCK CITY WHAT A SOUL HAVEN IT RAN FROM MID 83 TILLTILL AT LEAST 86 AS IT,S ME STEVE PHILLIS I WAS ONE OF THE RESIDENT D.J'S THERE MY SISTER KEPT ALL THE D.J PLAYLISTS FROM THE TIME WITH A MILLION AND ONE PHOTO'S YEP YVONNE AFEW MORE PEOPLE WHO USED TO GO ARE AS FOLLOWS dave taylor , tats, rob wigley, pete rear, tony garrnet ,lee garnett ,john begni, kitch, curley ,rick ( brighton ) grant ,darren,(bedford ) gary & julie rushbrooke , rich broughton, mad mick(ashton ), tony clayton ,stevie potts,bob & dean (newark) shippo ,lee (gudgin ) elaine,hailey ( leicester ) nick & steve stibbs, mick ,dave & lynn ,chris marriott , phil warroll, phil duckworth and his bro , plus loads of others

Good role call there Steve...anyone seen Phil Worrall lately? Hope he's ok. Character and a half.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Byrney

Good role call there Steve...anyone seen Phil Worrall lately? Hope he's ok. Character and a half.

Not seen Mr Worral since around mid 90s Robin. Love to know how he's doing - good / messy memories of Hyson Green capers with Phill; one hell of a sharp lad :)

I bet he's travelling in Burma or up to some adventure or another :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Byrney

i bear witness - vince & connie - f&w acetate

15518 refosoul

Cheers Simon.

Sounded a lot better back then (when I had a mullett and tash) :):thumbsup:

Then again I wasnt alone eh Andy Whitmore, Kitch etc etc etc

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source