Muhammad Ali related questions

Tommy1
Go to solution Solved by Kenb,

All help appreciated! 
1. Who was Laytonya Ali? And did she ever release the upcoming album "Ali's Greatest Return"?
image.png.6c7357192b461b68e4bc91974f892781.png

2. What is the story behind this Detroit 45? It is credited both Ali and Tucker. Was it released just after Muhammad Ali introduced the "Ali shuffle" against Cleveland Williams  in November 1966? 

image.png.f0e80ee6244f60781ff5efdac347cd4b.png

Social source share

@Tommy1

I can tell you a bit about the Shuffle with Ali 45.

Jim Riley visited Ali at his hotel suite after the fight with Ernie Terrell in 1967...and took with him the pressing of "Shuffle with Ali". Tucker is Jimmy Tucker. Ali made no money (his religion didn't/doesn't allow it) so it went into the collection plate.

So not only was it a fist fight, it was a song writer fight too, with Terrell's "A Hammer & a Nail" (with the Heavyweights).

• Thanks 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Kenb said:

@Tommy1

Jim Riley visited Ali at his hotel suite after the fight with Ernie Terrell in 1967...and took with him the pressing of "Shuffle with Ali". Tucker is Jimmy Tucker. Ali made no money (his religion didn't/doesn't allow it) so it went into the collection plate.

So not only was it a fist fight, it was a song writer fight too, with Terrell's "A Hammer & a Nail" (with the Heavyweights).

Thanks a lot Kenb! Where did you find/ get this story? 

Social source share

4 hours ago, Kenb said:

@Tommy1

And, if you know: When was the "Shuffle with Ali" 45 made, and did Ali go to the studio to record the intro and outro? 

Social source share

6 hours ago, The Yank said:

I would think the Diamond Jim single came out around the same time this came out. The article is from the January 28,1967 issue of Record World- 

Mar.jpg

RW.jpg

Thanks a lot!

Both Discogs and 45cat has "Shuffle with Ali" as a 1966 release. But you might be right that it came out early 1967. Muhammad Ali introduced the "Ali shuffle" against Cleveland Williams  in November 14. 1966. It is possible to get it out before 1967, but it bit short time? 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!