Couple of Blue Labels

Go to solution Solved by Roburt,

• Solution

I'll see your first blue & raise you one ...

This record company was based in north Ft Lauderdale about 5 miles sth east of our Florida house. I seem to recall a local radio stn was also based in this area back in the 60's / 70's (long gone now). It looks like a simple small office & lock-up garage affair. No doubt just had a desk + a telephone & the stock was kept in the garage area.

JoeyGilmore45.jpg

FtLaudRecComOff.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

I mentioned that soul radio stn on an old SS thread ... Why Did 60's Soul Strongholds Implode in 70s ? 

//www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/topic/350399-why-did-60s-soul-strongholds-implode-in-70s/#comment-100061322

The local radio stn I mentioned was WCKO / WRBD which was located in Ft Lauderdale. WCKO radio stn was based out of Pompano Beach in Fort Lauderdale, it grew out of stn WRBD which had been going strong from the early 60's till 1972. So it's likely the WRBD / WCKO DJ's would head south after their radio shift to meet up with other Miami black radio DJ's & local celebs at clubs in Overtown, Miami. Overtown (the black area of Miami) was just about destroyed by the new freeway system constructed to reach downtown Miami from the north. With most of the housing in the area swept away, the clubs (that weren't also demolished) had few local clients and so soon shut down. The radio stn also seemed to suffer as it lost some of it's listeners. Lots of changes occurred in the US black radio system in the 70's. Big companies bought out the local ownerships & changed format policies. DJ's were sacked & plays of 45's from local indie labels began to dry up. On top of that of course, disco took over from soul, so play policies also changed due to that.

The Lauderdale Int label was located between the I-95 highway & the Florida Turnpike, the 2 freeways that caused the devastation in Overtown. But the label's location was far enough north to escape the wholesale demolition that occurred south of Ft Lauderdale (& it was just far enough away from the I-95 to remain in place).

The radio stn WCKO was based just over 4 miles to the north of the record label (so was even closer to our Florida home). I looked once but couldn't find the radio stn building (the roads in the area have changed a lot). It seems it's still there though (but looks to be out of use). It's right next to the Florida Turnpike freeway, so was lucky to escape demolition. It looks like the kind of place to have housed a radio stn.

WRBD1967Oct14.jpg

WCKO1973Sept16.jpg

WRBDbuildng.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Listening now 1
Social source share

More info on the 2 radio stns above ...

In May 1963, WPOM became WRBD ("Radio Broward") with studios on Rock Island Road in Tamarac, Florida.   Four months later, WRBD became the first radio station in Broward County oriented to the local Black community, featuring south Florida radio legends like Joe Fisher, "The Crown Prince" and "The Mad Hatter".  WRBD's Radio Broward designation turned into "Rockin' Big Daddy" as the format changed.  A similarly formatted FM sister station, the primarily automated WRBD -FM 102.7, launched in December 1969; it became WCKO in 1971 and remained Black-oriented for much of the 1970s.

The 2 Lauderdale Int 45's were released in 1975, Joey Gilmore providing lead vocals on both. I would guess the radio stn took / sent copies of both to their near neighbour, the radio stn. Whether either got plays on the stn/s I don't know.

Of course, Joey Gilmore enjoyed a long recording career that stretched from 1971 right thru to Y2K. His Saadia 45's being very popular. He was also an 'ever present' on the local south Florida live show scene.

WRBD1970Dec12.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Some forgotten wonders

4 hours ago, Roburt said:

More info on the 2 radio stns above ...

In May 1963, WPOM became WRBD ("Radio Broward") with studios on Rock Island Road in Tamarac, Florida.   Four months later, WRBD became the first radio station in Broward County oriented to the local Black community, featuring south Florida radio legends like Joe Fisher, "The Crown Prince" and "The Mad Hatter".  WRBD's Radio Broward designation turned into "Rockin' Big Daddy" as the format changed.  A similarly formatted FM sister station, the primarily automated WRBD -FM 102.7, launched in December 1969; it became WCKO in 1971 and remained Black-oriented for much of the 1970s.

The 2 Lauderdale Int 45's were released in 1975, Joey Gilmore providing lead vocals on both. I would guess the radio stn took / sent copies of both to their near neighbour, the radio stn. Whether either got plays on the stn/s I don't know.

Of course, Joey Gilmore enjoyed a long recording career that stretched from 1971 right thru to Y2K. His Saadia 45's being very popular. He was also an 'ever present' on the local south Florida live show scene.

WRBD1970Dec12.jpg

Some fortgotten wonders among the lists, more please! Many thanks for the info!

Social source share

One of the WRBD DJ's pick of the week 45 in October 67 was the Sarah James & the Soul Babies Faro release.

Why he'd pick that I have no idea. The label was from Hollywood & would have had little clout in south Florida. It's a wonder a copy of the single even found it's way to WRBD.

The Soul Babies included ladies who were studio backing singer royalty -- Oma Heard, Maxine Waters & Julia Waters. Those ladies were also in the Sa-shays, the Darlings, the Sweethearts, etc. In addition to the ladies, Barry White also helped out on the Faro 45. 

WRBD1967Oct14.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!