IS IT REAL?

Soul Salad

Hi

Just wanted some thoughts on AI (Artificial Intelligence) and where this will all go with music - I just heard Song 2 by Oasis?? plus the Beatles "new" one and the technology is out there to write a song produce a song add "anybody's" lyrics to it add whatever instruments you want to it, then listen - you have pretty much the perfect song which you have asked it to produce for you.

If (which i don't) have the software i can produce a perfect new NS record using the voice of say anyone ie Yvonne Baker - it can also be manipulated to "sound" like it was recorded in the 60s, then i could transfer it to vinyl and flog it as an unissued acetate from 1965 on ebay!!!!! (or JM)

This is all too incredible but could this at some point be the end of the recording artist as we know it? - I heard rumours that even Watermelon high by Harry Stiles was written by a software program. Scary stuff and just keen on people's thoughts

Thanks

PS Doesn't really change anything regarding record collecting but it does change the future of music.

PPS Should this post be in media?

Social source share

I am convinced what you are alluding to will sadly one day play its part in the making of a record aimed at the soul scene and one of it's many styles, however how AI can replicate the passion and conviction we have all grown up to deeply understand within the portrail both lyrically and emotionly in an Afro American voice I am yet to be convinced.  we have enough nonsense to deal with regarding the numerous cover versions that some people think will make them rich! Just wish Jan Jones and Ray Pollard could hear the covers or not!     

• Up vote 2
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Still Diggin said:

I am convinced what you are alluding to will sadly one day play its part in the making of a record aimed at the soul scene and one of it's many styles, however how AI can replicate the passion and conviction we have all grown up to deeply understand within the portrail both lyrically and emotionly in an Afro American voice I am yet to be convinced.  we have enough nonsense to deal with regarding the numerous cover versions that some people think will make them rich! Just wish Jan Jones and Ray Pollard could hear the covers or not!     

You have a very valid point.

After that recent drifter cover, personally as a "singer/song" it was OK i thought not AI of course but agree, it's just not "authentic". A white guy in the year 2023 who may live in Putney (no disrespect to Putney) cannot record a record like that it just doesn't work. It's not "authentic" and not "believable" and its fake emotion.  Unfortunately, 99.99% of the world have never heard of Ray Pollard let alone his Drifter - still not sure why they decided to cover that one anyway - was it the singers choice?

Pointless doing a cover anyway unless it betters the original, unfortunately it does sometimes work and Joe Public buys into it. Hey I'm talking about covers? this post is about AI?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Soul Salad said:

You have a very valid point.

After that recent drifter cover, personally as a "singer/song" it was OK i thought not AI of course but agree, it's just not "authentic". A white guy in the year 2023 who may live in Putney (no disrespect to Putney) cannot record a record like that it just doesn't work. It's not "authentic" and not "believable" and its fake emotion.  Unfortunately, 99.99% of the world have never heard of Ray Pollard let alone his Drifter - still not sure why they decided to cover that one anyway - was it the singers choice?

You got the wrong clip, that cover posted was a unreleased 1960s version by a different singer who shared the same surname

6 minutes ago, Soul Salad said:

Pointless doing a cover anyway unless it betters the original, unfortunately it does sometimes work and Joe Public buys into it. Hey I'm talking about covers? this post is about AI?

'

Social source share

With A.I. there is potential for changing records for the better (or for the worse depending on your point of view). Some records have catchy instrument breaks that could be repeated more in the track and others have vocals that would be better left out or another chorus could be added!

Bad recordings could be made perfect fidelity for instance. 

There is a place in Esther Grant "Lets Get The Most Out Of Our Love" where I think why didn't they do that bit again later in the record!      Or Billy Woods "Let Me Make You Happy" which I love, could have some more lyrics and chorus towards the end.  Easy to make instrumentals of anything. Replace a poor vocal with Ray Pollards voice etc!

Edited by Solidsoul
Social source share

51 minutes ago, Mike said:

You got the wrong clip, that cover posted was a unreleased 1960s version by a different singer who shared the same surname

'

LOL Thanks Mike, yes i did indeed miss the point. LOL and LOL - well luckily i did say the drifter sounded OK, proved my point then abt authenticity!!. Quite like it now.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!