OK to play a 'second issue'

Julianb
Go to solution Solved by davidwapples,

53 minutes ago, Julianb said:

Just been chatting with a 'top' DJ' and we were discussing playing originals and the conversation came around to ' my styrene copy is getting a bit worn' should/can I play a reissue if I have the original with me and put it up for validation? Records discussed were Del Larks, Joe Matthews, Tamala Lewis ( think this is vinyl but can't get to mine at the moment to check) etc.

Thoughts please. Some of these are getting expensive!

Tamala lewis is vinyl 

Social source share

Earlier quote play something else the smaller djs get travel expenses and a few quid but still try to play a good set including some rare ,so it’s ok for them to de value a rarity by playing when an issue can be played, any one can collect or dj but don’t so leave this decision to dj as if you are a punter you won’t know?

Social source share

MY Opinion. Back in the day it was about the music not the label, I go to dance, not to sit around chatting, so for me the DJ is their to entertain. I would much rather hear a second/Re-issue than none at all! Collectors collect labels ( and good luck to them) DJ`s play records to entertain and for the crowd to dance to. A few major events have deck cams and Its nice to See/hear the big money stuff at those events, but for me at the smaller clubs reissues are fine as I said Its all about the music not the label.

Social source share

2 hours ago, Petesi said:

MY Opinion. Back in the day it was about the music not the label, I go to dance, not to sit around chatting, so for me the DJ is their to entertain. I would much rather hear a second/Re-issue than none at all! Collectors collect labels ( and good luck to them) DJ`s play records to entertain and for the crowd to dance to. A few major events have deck cams and Its nice to See/hear the big money stuff at those events, but for me at the smaller clubs reissues are fine as I said Its all about the music not the label.

I totally agree , lots of the big venues djs would break a record on the dance floor , get a copy made Emidisc usually and sell the original for a profit , the dance floor was still full and nobody cared , because most of the attendees where fuelled up and just wanted to dance , and enjoy themselves .

Social source share

The answer is no but it depends on the venue. OK for youngsters starting out at the back of a pub on a Friday night. Definitely not at a regional venue when collectors have travelled from afar. Shrewd DJ’s will minimise styrene use on unknown decks and stick to vinyl. If the 45’s are suffering from wear and tear, surely it’s time to introduce a few new records into the set. There are enough records out there to make up a decent Oldies set without having to resort to the clapped out Top 500. Any DJ with a big gig coming up should be able to conjure up a box of quality sounds making sure the knackered records are left at home with the second issues, emi discs, carvers, bootlegs etc.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!