Kell Osborne 'Quicksand' on Titanic groove surface

Just got in a promo copy of this in and the groove surface on the 'Quicksand' side seemed to have suffered that 'trimmed' job. So would appreciate anyone insight on this from those who own a copy to confirm my beliefs on that very copy that I just got in. Could also be a common pressing flaw if ever... need to know before I complain.

On playback of 'Quicksand' the silent run-in groove has a rather prominent white floor noise (Pfff) typical of trimmed groove and a slight gain weakness (especially in comparison with the flip) for an altogether not so coherent 'picture'  unlike the flip. Again. Normal as the flip side looks un-trimmed or normal with few Juke-Boxes marks.

Social source share

48 minutes ago, Solidsoul said:

I maybe being slightly naive, but what does trimming a record involve? Is it heavy buffing of the surface to make it look better? 

Yes. My belief is that this copy could be an Ex-Juke-Box one bearing the typical 'grey groove' (heavy pressured stylus into the groove) marking on the 'Quicksand' side only.

After such a trimming  job of the top layer of the record groove it does make it look "neater" if one will but also 'tiny-er' in height. Giving the visual impression for the groove to be less prominent.

But it does also affect the playback some. For less gain definitely and with the bridge of medium frequencies to blend the highs with the lows gone. Giving the impression of a more messy production somehow.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I’ve had both demo and issue a couple of times,don’t recall any sound imperfections,but maybe both copy’s never saw a jukebox!

equally I have had records that have been “buffed” and whilst it improves the look of the record,it dulls the sound somewhat!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!