Magnetics - I have a girl

Can anyone tell me about 'The Magnetics-I have a girl, is it vinyl, is it styrene, is the matrix  stamped is it etched, how do you tell an original from the very convincing boot? 

I've never seen an original or in fact the boot so have no idea.

Social source share

33 minutes ago, Woodbutcher said:

A boot was even sold on ebay after it had distressed with scotch brite in an attempt to age the disc, sold to Japan if I remember correctly and where Dave  Flynn start to unravel the saga of the bootlegs.

Sean Chapman unknowing also bought a boot . 

That record was sold as an Original. Sean paid and popped it on the shelf.

When news of the recent bootlegs surfaced a friend of Sean's advised him to check his recent purchase.

A friend of Sean's examined the record and independently agreed that it was a bootleg counterfeit and a fake.

Sean contacted his seller. That seller was totally shocked. They have agreed to refund Sean in full without question.

Watch out !

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I remember in the early 1980's John Anderson at Soul Bowl had a small quantity of originals in stock. They were £10 for a few weeks on the lists. It then became a very popular sound, with a price tag to match.

Edited by Solidsoul
Social source share

2 hours ago, Spook said:

A boot was even sold on ebay after it had distressed with scotch brite in an attempt to age the disc, sold to Japan if I remember correctly and where Dave  Flynn start to unravel the saga of the bootlegs.

Sean Chapman unknowing also bought a boot . 

That record was sold as an Original. Sean paid and popped it on the shelf.

When news of the recent bootlegs surfaced a friend of Sean's advised him to check his recent purchase.

A friend of Sean's examined the record and independently agreed that it was a bootleg counterfeit and a fake.

Sean contacted his seller. That seller was totally shocked. They have agreed to refund Sean in full without question.

Watch out !

These were via / from, done by an old DJ that may have travelled to Blackpool area at one point.  The whole set was easy to tell, the labels gave em away immediately. The best one was Louis Paul - The Change Will Do You Good, on INTRO as it was a WD, but when in comparrison to the original, it was easy to tell. I know I compared em...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

23 minutes ago, Solidsoul said:

I remember in the early 1980's John Anderson at Soul Bowl had a small quantity of originals in stock. They were £10 for a few weeks on the lists. The rest is history! It then became a very popular sound, with a price tag to match.

My copy was found by myself 77/78 sold to Gary rushbrooke to play at wigan

• Up vote 1
Social source share

22 minutes ago, Mal C said:

These were via / from, done by an old DJ that may have travelled to Blackpool area at one point.  The whole set was easy to tell, the labels gave em away immediately. The best one was Louis Paul - The Change Will Do You Good, on INTRO as it was a WD, but when in comparrison to the original, it was easy to tell. I know I compared em...

Why so coy , it's common knowledge who did them , it was discussed in a very long thread on here when they appeared , a simple site search will take anyone there ... :face:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Well, every day is a school day as they say. Thanks everyone for all this great info, I had no idea of the history behind this record but now I do thanks to you all. Sounds like I should have bought one years ago when they were cheap.

Social source share

22 hours ago, Woodbutcher said:

Why so coy , it's common knowledge who did them , it was discussed in a very long thread on here when they appeared , a simple site search will take anyone there ... :face:

better to be delicate when you can...

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!