Emotions On Vardan

KevH

hi just flipped over "DO THIS FOR ME"-EMOTIONS on Vardan (the other, and IMHO better version of THE LOVERS ON Phillips).

Other side is "LOVE OF A GIRL" ,,,AND ITS BLOWN ME AWAY!!.

Midtempo heaven,has this been played, is it well known?.

Both sides are produced by Arthur Wright,and are what you expect..quality.

Definatley gonna give "love of a girl" a play soon ,its just got the edge on " do this for me".

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

hi just flipped over "DO THIS FOR ME"-EMOTIONS on Vardan (the other, and IMHO better version of THE LOVERS ON Phillips).

Other side is "LOVE OF A GIRL" ,,,AND ITS BLOWN ME AWAY!!.

Midtempo heaven,has this been played, is it well known?.

Both sides are produced by Arthur Wright,and are what you expect..quality.

Definatley gonna give "love of a girl" a play soon ,its just got the edge on " do this for me".

can't speak for northern people, but this is well known by sweet soul collectors

Social source share

I used to play the 'Love of a Girl' side at George Jackson Lives. It is indeed a fine piece of mid-tempo harmony soul.

BTW The Lovers and The Emotions 'Do This For Me' are actually the same record but put out under two different identities.

There was an article on Greg Tormo's excellent website about the group which mentioned this fact - Link below.

Greg Tormo's Vardan Article

Edited by sweeney
Social source share

Yes the a-side has been known since the beginning. But like so many Northern 45s the flip was ignored at the time, considered too slow to play.

Just dug a copy out, it is a superb song i've not played for years, glad you picked up on it.

Apparemtly the label Vardan has some very collectable garage 45s on it. Barry Wickham was informing me one time we were digging around in a small town north of Sacremento..apparently the label had connections up there..mainly San Francisco based though, I think.

Tough to find a copy these days.

Social source share

I used to play the 'Love of a Girl' side at George Jackson Lives. It is indeed a fine piece of mid-tempo harmony soul.

BTW The Lovers and The Emotions 'Do This For Me' are actually the same record but put out under two different identities.

There was an article on Greg Tormo's excellent website about the group which mentioned this fact - Link below.

Greg Tormo's Vardan Article

Without playing the Lover's version, i thought they were different groups.The Emotions version having the accapella intro,The Lover's doesn't and is faster? KEV.

Just played Lovers,sounds like its speeded up.BTW,,,The Emotions track on the Greg Tormo link ain't "Love of a girl" :D

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Guest jinx74

two of the members, gregory and saunders, later joined up to release two funk 45s. primevil, which appeared on ubiquitys bay area funk vol 2 and another single on skillet records under the name dspirit and the city folk which moerer has up on his site.

Social source share

Without playing the Lover's version, i thought they were different groups.The Emotions version having the accapella intro,The Lover's doesn't and is faster? KEV.

Just played Lovers,sounds like its speeded up.BTW,,,The Emotions track on the Greg Tormo link ain't "Love of a girl" :D

Just played my copies to compare and it does seem as though The Lovers version is indeed The Emotions speeded up - The vocals seem a bit daft and squeaky. Timing for the Emotions is 2:34 and The Lovers 2:26.

I didn't even notice that the link had a sound clip to be honest - just thought it was an interesting article.

Social source share

Just played my copies to compare and it does seem as though The Lovers version is indeed The Emotions speeded up - The vocals seem a bit daft and squeaky. Timing for the Emotions is 2:34 and The Lovers 2:26.

I didn't even notice that the link had a sound clip to be honest - just thought it was an interesting article.

maybe they thought if it was speeded up it'd sell?.The article was interesting,just shows on SS, ask and you'll find out,,thanks Sweeney.

Social source share

Have played ' Love Of A Girl ' sporadically over the last three years.

Sure D Pearson covered the tune in an old Shades Of Soul around four years back or so.

Rod Dearlove @ Voices champoined this one way back.

Worthy of another spin maybe this Saturday @ The Greatstones thinking mans set.....

www.cratesofsoul.com

thanks for that Glynn,worthy of a spin ,which i'll be doing at the first chance.Could be something i'd play first hour at The Attic, or towards the end of the nite.KEV. thumbsup.gif .

Say hello to Mick n Mo if you see them at Greatstone.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert