Detroit /chicago

hi, i'm gonna spend my next holidays in octobre in chicago and detroit. beside spending my holidays i will spend money in buying 45s and wonder if someone could give me an idea where to find the best soul records in those towns and where to spend the nightlife.

thanks a lot for your "satisfaction guaranteed" ideas...

cheeeers hank

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Goldwax

hi, i'm gonna spend my next holidays in octobre in chicago and detroit. beside spending my holidays i will spend money in buying 45s and wonder if someone could give me an idea where to find the best soul records in those towns and where to spend the nightlife.

cheeeers hank

Take a trip down to the old Chess studio and ask thre curator (it's a museum now) for tips on the best nights out down on the South side. Take a cab down South Michigan as it's a bit of a trek and not in safest of niegbourhoods.

Social source share

Chicago....my kind of town...lol been there several times over the years and Detroit a couple of times.

Chicago night clubs/Blues venues if you are there at the right time you may catch people like Jimmy Burns, Otis Clay who perform there on a regular basis, 'Kingston Mines' is a fantastic live music venue, there are a couple of more commercial venues called 'Blues' one is situated on Halstead where I saw Otis Clay one time, been a while since I was in Chicago so it's all a bit of a blur, Chris Anderton still goes over and I'm sure will give you some pointers. Buddy Guy has or had a venue on the South Side.

Record wise check out 'The Record Dugout' on West 63rd Street, I've always found stuff there, 'Beverley Records' are worth a look, there used to be several shops I visited but can't remember the names sorry. Remember you are going over places that many have visited before so unless there is a constant flow of new stock the hunt can be a bit of a waste of time but still fun.

Phil Dick who also comes on here has a good knowlege of both Cities so I'm sure he would also give you a few tips and places to visit.

Cookie is right about the Blues/Jazz festival and is well worth a visit again if you time your trip right.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

cheeeers hank

This is from Time out Chicago, should help :unsure:

The Record Dugout (6055 W 63rd St, 773-586-1206) is a South Side haven that is a must-visit for singles fans. There are no CDs here, but the sheer volume of 7-inch records is breathtaking. The Dugout has practically every genre imaginable, but the soul and R&B selections are particularly strong. Customers can try out albums courtesy of the in-store turntable. Also check out Hyde Park Records (1377 E 53rd St, 773-288-6588), which is a few blocks north of the University of Chicago campus. In addition to a healthy supply of soul, hip-hop and jazz on vinyl and CD, there is an ample selection of indie rock. It also stocks hundreds of classical records at any given time, mostly 20th-century works.

Near North and North Sides

If you're interested in blues or jazz, stop by the Jazz Record Mart (25 E Illinois St, 312-222-1467) "it has one of the best collections in the city. The music's often broken up by regions (there's a whole bin just for Chicago blues), and it's also got a big selection of albums (some still sealed), R&B singles and 78s. Hi-Fi Records (2568 N Clark St, 773-880-1002) is a North Side haven for dance music "on any given day you'll find club DJs testing the merchandise on the customer turntables. It's also a really good store for rockabilly, garage, '70s punk and psychedelia. One of the newest standouts in a busy scene, Groovin' High (1047 W Belmont Ave, 773-476-6846) boasts a discriminating general-interest collection of vinyl and CDs, with particularly juicy reserves in jazz and soul. There's a good selection of '90s alt rock, too. While Shake, Rattle & Read (4812 N Broadway, 773-334-5311) has a decent selection of vinyl, CDs and cassettes, it also has an extensive backstock of old rock magazines and books. Gramaphone Records (2843 N Clark St, 773-472-3683) remains the city's steadiest purveyor of vinyl for dance music.The small but well-rounded Dead Wax (3819 N Lincoln Ave, 773-529-1932) has superb titles in classic rock, dance, jazz and country, plus nonintimidating customer service. It's quiet and not very well traveled, so you aren't elbowing anyone as you sift through the store's tons of used vinyl. Fans of independent movies should check out Hard Boiled Records & Video (2010 W Roscoe St, 773-755-2619) "the owner is a world-renowned expert on kung-fu film, and the shop has a great selection of used vinyl, including lots of indie and electronica. If you're in Lincoln Square, hit Laurie's Planet of Sound (4639 N Lincoln Ave, 773-271-3569). Not only is it good for rock titles, but discs are broken down into subcategories ("garage/psych," "local bands") that for once are actually helpful. There's a modest selection of vinyl as well, but the CDs are the real meat of the store, with all categories stocked in depth "old and new.

Near West and West Sides

Reckless Records (1532 N Milwaukee Ave, 773-235-3727), which also has a North Side location (3161 N Broadway, 773-404-5080), is the classic, all-purpose record store. Even though the focus here is alternative and indie rock, there are finds in all genres. An added bonus: There are frequent markdowns on slow-moving titles. Crazyman Records (1657 W Division St, 773-489-9848) is great for classic rock and country records, while Dusty Groove (1120 N Ashland Ave, 773-342-5800) specializes in '70s funk, jazz and salsa on both vinyl and CD. If you have access to a car, it's worth the trip to Out of the Past (4407 W Madison St, 773-626-3878): This cavernous West Side store is popular with local fans of "dusties" (that's Chicago analogspeak for older R&cool.gif, and the community atmosphere is a plus. Don't forget to check out the list of Chicago's Top Dusties behind the sales counter.

Social source share

well, well thanks a lot for the requests, i´m relly looking for to the trip and now i really know where to go...

This is from Time out Chicago, should help :thumbsup:

The Record Dugout (6055 W 63rd St, 773-586-1206) is a South Side haven that is a must-visit for singles fans. There are no CDs here, but the sheer volume of 7-inch records is breathtaking. The Dugout has practically every genre imaginable, but the soul and R&B selections are particularly strong. Customers can try out albums courtesy of the in-store turntable. Also check out Hyde Park Records (1377 E 53rd St, 773-288-6588), which is a few blocks north of the University of Chicago campus. In addition to a healthy supply of soul, hip-hop and jazz on vinyl and CD, there is an ample selection of indie rock. It also stocks hundreds of classical records at any given time, mostly 20th-century works.

Near North and North Sides

If you're interested in blues or jazz, stop by the Jazz Record Mart (25 E Illinois St, 312-222-1467) "it has one of the best collections in the city. The music's often broken up by regions (there's a whole bin just for Chicago blues), and it's also got a big selection of albums (some still sealed), R&B singles and 78s. Hi-Fi Records (2568 N Clark St, 773-880-1002) is a North Side haven for dance music "on any given day you'll find club DJs testing the merchandise on the customer turntables. It's also a really good store for rockabilly, garage, '70s punk and psychedelia. One of the newest standouts in a busy scene, Groovin' High (1047 W Belmont Ave, 773-476-6846) boasts a discriminating general-interest collection of vinyl and CDs, with particularly juicy reserves in jazz and soul. There's a good selection of '90s alt rock, too. While Shake, Rattle & Read (4812 N Broadway, 773-334-5311) has a decent selection of vinyl, CDs and cassettes, it also has an extensive backstock of old rock magazines and books. Gramaphone Records (2843 N Clark St, 773-472-3683) remains the city's steadiest purveyor of vinyl for dance music.The small but well-rounded Dead Wax (3819 N Lincoln Ave, 773-529-1932) has superb titles in classic rock, dance, jazz and country, plus nonintimidating customer service. It's quiet and not very well traveled, so you aren't elbowing anyone as you sift through the store's tons of used vinyl. Fans of independent movies should check out Hard Boiled Records & Video (2010 W Roscoe St, 773-755-2619) "the owner is a world-renowned expert on kung-fu film, and the shop has a great selection of used vinyl, including lots of indie and electronica. If you're in Lincoln Square, hit Laurie's Planet of Sound (4639 N Lincoln Ave, 773-271-3569). Not only is it good for rock titles, but discs are broken down into subcategories ("garage/psych," "local bands") that for once are actually helpful. There's a modest selection of vinyl as well, but the CDs are the real meat of the store, with all categories stocked in depth "old and new.

Near West and West Sides

Reckless Records (1532 N Milwaukee Ave, 773-235-3727), which also has a North Side location (3161 N Broadway, 773-404-5080), is the classic, all-purpose record store. Even though the focus here is alternative and indie rock, there are finds in all genres. An added bonus: There are frequent markdowns on slow-moving titles. Crazyman Records (1657 W Division St, 773-489-9848) is great for classic rock and country records, while Dusty Groove (1120 N Ashland Ave, 773-342-5800) specializes in '70s funk, jazz and salsa on both vinyl and CD. If you have access to a car, it's worth the trip to Out of the Past (4407 W Madison St, 773-626-3878): This cavernous West Side store is popular with local fans of "dusties" (that's Chicago analogspeak for older R&cool.gif, and the community atmosphere is a plus. Don't forget to check out the list of Chicago's Top Dusties behind the sales counter.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert