Inspirations

Just been sorting through some records to sell found this it`s a white goldmine label completley blank, with wrote in biro,-TREAT MYSELF TO A NEW LOVE-BY THE INSPIRATIONS-on the flip is- YOUR LOVE IS A WONDERFUL THING-ANN BYERS-also white blank label, i have a copy of the inspirations on BENN X, but this is a completly different version, does anyone know anything about this, MANY THANKS HARRY huh.gif

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I know the group cut 2 takes and only one got an official release on Benn X, great 45 imo (so is the flip by them)!.

I heard the other version on a tape from years back and wasn't aware it ever got a release (officially!).

Totally agree great record, first time i`ve heard this version though, can`t even remember where i got it from,HMMMM STRANGE g.gif

Social source share

I have a cut of the alternative version.

It's not a 60's studio acetate, just a cut. Got it from Rob Marriot early 90's.

Rob got it from Tim A who I believe had it cut from the mastertape.There were very few done at the time.

This version is miles better than the one that came out on Benn-x.

Far as I know it is unissued and no original acetae.

Used to play this at niters early to mid 90's and I can say it was, for me, the best unknown tune I ever played. Judging by the reaction it got, seemed the dancefloor agreed.

Was a bit of an anthem at our night in Edinburgh.

On the flip of the acetate is "I can feel it" which is also very, very good.

I was under the Impression at the time I got it that it was the west coast Inspirations of Charles Diamond, but, I'm sure I recently saw a track listing for a Kent CD of Philly material with this on it, although can't remember for sure..any more info ??

I_Can_feel_it.mp3

Gotta_find_a_new_love.mp3

Social source share

yeh mark, undoubtly you nailed the dancers to the fucking floor at the clairmonte back in the early 90s, with things like this, your one of the most under rated collector/djs in the uk,....now can i get the spotlite band

xxx

lenny

Lenny, you mean under whelming... and you already know the answer the spotlite band question :thumbup:

Social source share

I have a cut of the alternative version.

It's not a 60's studio acetate, just a cut. Got it from Rob Marriot early 90's.

Rob got it from Tim A who I believe had it cut from the mastertape.There were very few done at the time.

This version is miles better than the one that came out on Benn-x.

Far as I know it is unissued and no original acetae.

Used to play this at niters early to mid 90's and I can say it was, for me, the best unknown tune I ever played. Judging by the reaction it got, seemed the dancefloor agreed.

Was a bit of an anthem at our night in Edinburgh.

On the flip of the acetate is "I can feel it" which is also very, very good.

I was under the Impression at the time I got it that it was the west coast Inspirations of Charles Diamond, but, I'm sure I recently saw a track listing for a Kent CD of Philly material with this on it, although can't remember for sure..any more info ??

Benn-X was definitely a philly label, there are also 2 records on the label by the Moniques. I think Dave Brown from Philly did the recent inspirations on benn-x reissue.

Someone above mentioned the midas group, which was totally unrelated and which was from Milwaukee.

Social source share

stick it up your arse then, along with your old les chansonettes,,,,,se avatar.

That was a good trade for us both, always good to see your records moved on to the right "hands"!

Amazes me how you can consume, digest and re-produce rare records that way, some sort of VPI process? :D

Social source share

That was a good trade for us both, always good to see your records moved on to the right "hands"!

Amazes me how you can consume, digest and re-produce rare records that way, some sort of VPI process? :D

Many thanks guys for all your info on the inspirations track, as i said earlier don`t know where i got it from, good old carling lager! :(

Social source share

We put a version on a Kent CD before then but it may have been a different take.

The CD just got deleted so snap 'em up quick

pretty sure the acetates are different takes, think one of them has a different lead singer. The one on the cd you did is different to the one on the cd Goldmine/SoulSupply put out I think.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

The Mercury acetate is the one that Butch plays, this is same take that was taped from a band member and was the one that Rob played, the Benn-X version while being a good reading is not in the same class imo. Is anyone saying they are the Breakthrough group? the Benn-x group being a Philly group;Frank Bendinelli/Leroy Lovett vehicle unlikely Joey Jefferson on the west coast would cover it also with the same group name, but, you never know?

Social source share

The Mercury acetate is the one that Butch plays, this is same take that was taped from a band member and was the one that Rob played, the Benn-X version while being a good reading is not in the same class imo. Is anyone saying they are the Breakthrough group? the Benn-x group being a Philly group;Frank Bendinelli/Leroy Lovett vehicle unlikely Joey Jefferson on the west coast would cover it also with the same group name, but, you never know?

There's another Mercury acetate as well Tony, different take. Sure I've read or was told that this Inspirations group never released anything.

Social source share

There's another Mercury acetate as well Tony, different take. Sure I've read or was told that this Inspirations group never released anything.

Think that might be "I'm Cuttin' In" , also on Mercury acetate (and later on CD).

There were a couple of other tracks by this group that I think never got issued on Kent / Goldmine / Benn X etc.

One is the flip side to the above song - "I Can't Stop Thinking About Her" .

The other is called "What Did She Say" , which Is similar to the "Cuttin' In" song. (Got this from Tim A at the same time as "I Can Feel It" etc. as mentioned earlier in this post ).

Cheers

Mick

https://northern-soul-records.com

https://motownsound.co.uk

Social source share

Think that might be "I'm Cuttin' In" , also on Mercury acetate (and later on CD).

There were a couple of other tracks by this group that I think never got issued on Kent / Goldmine / Benn X etc.

One is the flip side to the above song - "I Can't Stop Thinking About Her" .

The other is called "What Did She Say" , which Is similar to the "Cuttin' In" song. (Got this from Tim A at the same time as "I Can Feel It" etc. as mentioned earlier in this post ).

Cheers

Mick

https://northern-soul-records.com

https://motownsound.co.uk

no, the other Mercury acetate is also Treat Myself To A New love, a different take tho'...off top of my head it's a different lead singer.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert