• Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Do The Pearl Girl - Matta Baby

Broadway Sissy - Roscoe & Co

Ton Of Dynamite - Frankie 'Loveman' Crocker

Wrong Crowd - Prince George

Ian D

Broadway Sissy - great record. Neil Jones played that at Prestwich last saturday. I'd forgotten how good it is.

Babe ruth - Elusive usually makes people cringe and comment that it doesn't sit properly, I love that as well!. :D

Jayne.x.

Social source share

One that fits the bill for me would be George Bensons - 'On Broadway' - Evison's Number One Modern sound 1980.

The Al Foster Band - Night Of The Wolf

Who was the first to give this a play ?

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

The Exodus By Billy Biddu...what a pile of fekkin shyte... :D

Talking of Biddu's ......

The appalling " Northern Soul Dancer " by Biddu ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest edsuede

There were a few wern`t there KING ERRISON-ZOLA, Dare i say MICKEY MOUSE CONCERTO IN B FLAT, feel a bit ashamed to have remembered that one :P

Can anyone out there post up some sound clips of two of the tracks mentioned in this thread - Along comes Mary - Baja Marimba Band & Elusive by Babe Ruth - to my knowledge, never heard either but as someone who likes the quirkier side of 'Northern Soul' I'm curious....

To add to this thread, another track that seems to fit is Human Zoo - Commodores - a great sound IMHO but totally against the grain!

Social source share

The Gig-Raw Sou

Dans A La Musique-French Fries

Seven Seas-Fight The Power

And one thats still a mystery to me-ROUND ROBIN-Kick That Little Foot sally Anne

Social source share

I think it would be nice if Dave Thorley could relate the circumstances which led him to programme tracks like "Pyramid", "Quicksand" and "Room Full Of Tears" at Stafford. These records all went against the grain to a certain extent at the time, but Stafford seemed to create the perfect conditions for such left-field experimentation. All brilliant soul records but different enough from trad northern (and from each other) to create a real stir at the time.

Social source share

Babe ruth - Elusive usually makes people cringe and comment that it doesn't sit properly

I keep reading this kinda post relating to 'Elusive' and just don't get it - it was a staple nighter sound for years, great for the dancefloor and a made for a nighter 70's sound - I love it.

I put a founding NJ House jock on, Hippie Torrales, last year and we had a bit of an party after the club, at which point, about 4.30 am, what does he drop?

Babe Ruth! -

And the proper mix - I fucking fell over.

Edited by Barry
Social source share

Babe Ruth!

I can't see a problem and never could, got a copy about 3 years ago and never looked back long or short.

Saturday, they played it again just hate it Sitting In My Class dreadful tune please play the other side.

wow - totally agree. Sitting in my class is an overrated tune. I dont know the other side..

I love babe ruth, but people usually pull their faces at it. I'm glad I'm not alone...

Shame it never gets played. I wonder if its hard to dance to??.

Jayne.x.

Social source share

wow - totally agree. Sitting in my class is an overrated tune. I dont know the other side..

I love babe ruth, but people usually pull their faces at it. I'm glad I'm not alone...

Shame it never gets played. I wonder if its hard to dance to??.

Jayne.x.

It begs dancing to - a true shufflers record - 'Thought I saw you in the park - could be my imagination - then it suddenly went dark....you disappeared - Tried to find you, tried to find you, ain't so easy as it seems, like a needle in a haystack, I see you in all my dreams' - then the genius guitar break over the bassline drops and its just the bomb.

Reminds me of Yogi and talcy moccassins.

Nice to see people coming back with positive responses to todays unplayed tracks. :lol:

Edited by Barry
Social source share

Can anyone out there post up some sound clips of two of the tracks mentioned in this thread - Along comes Mary - Baja Marimba Band & Elusive by Babe Ruth - to my knowledge, never heard either but as someone who likes the quirkier side of 'Northern Soul' I'm curious....

both tracks are on john manships site to listen to.

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

Any chance of a scan of Elusive? I've got a copy but was convinced it was a boot until a mate went 'Wow' last week. He has a taste for the odd side of NS too wink.gif

Social source share

both tracks are on john manships site to listen to.

always liked elusive from the days it was played, still got my original uk copy, however asked a bloke from work who has access to millions of music files to get me a cd copy of elusive, he did and its a different mix, same backing different vocals and longer as well, where is that from then,

another oddball ive mentioned before "enter sunshine" georgie porgie, as my mate said you had to be there to appreciate

could it be the lp version?

ive got the lp somewhere will try and find it!

Social source share

I think it would be nice if Dave Thorley could relate the circumstances which led him to programme tracks like "Pyramid", "Quicksand" and "Room Full Of Tears" at Stafford. These records all went against the grain to a certain extent at the time, but Stafford seemed to create the perfect conditions for such left-field experimentation. All brilliant soul records but different enough from trad northern (and from each other) to create a real stir at the time.

thats brilliant mate, worded perfectly, stafford broke the mould and made me realise what true soul sounded like, room full of tears is one of the greatest soul records ever in my opinion, nice one mate

Social source share

could it be the lp version?

ive got the lp somewhere will try and find it!

we record collectors never cease to amaze me, the lp version of elusive is truly a great one to keep in your collection, i reckon that nearly equates to my king errison lp, but does not match my mates kumano lp with a disco (sorry more disco) version of i,ll cry for you on it, or my now legendary balitimore and ohio stateside lp that does not contain condition red, i,ll try to post up elusive (version) when i get time, i love the odd ball stuff and have recently been pointed in the direction of french bloke johnny hallyday who apparently cut some great stuff including a version of uptight

just had a flash back to years ago when a biggish name dj played a 45 on bang called "stop the clock" was it by the shaggy boys

Social source share

we record collectors never cease to amaze me, the lp version of elusive is truly a great one to keep in your collection, i reckon that nearly equates to my king errison lp, but does not match my mates kumano lp with a disco (sorry more disco) version of i,ll cry for you on it, or my now legendary balitimore and ohio stateside lp that does not contain condition red, i,ll try to post up elusive (version) when i get time, i love the odd ball stuff and have recently been pointed in the direction of french bloke johnny hallyday who apparently cut some great stuff including a version of uptight

just had a flash back to years ago when a biggish name dj played a 45 on bang called "stop the clock" was it by the shaggy boys

WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A LONGER VERSION OF KUMANO PLEASE POST ONLY HAVE THE 45 MIX !

Social source share

WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A LONGER VERSION OF KUMANO PLEASE POST ONLY HAVE THE 45 MIX !

sorry cant do it as it was a few years ago and the bloke in question who had the lp is now all "over the shop" but what i can tell you is its not as good as the 45 very very disco, if i see him i,ll see if hes still got it,

another oddball "she devil"

Social source share

sorry cant do it as it was a few years ago and the bloke in question who had the lp is now all "over the shop" but what i can tell you is its not as good as the 45 very very disco, if i see him i,ll see if hes still got it,

another oddball "she devil"

wink.gif It was the Babe Ruth lp , which is the version we all went mad to . at venues such as Peterbrough, st.ives, Cleethorpes, etc. Got mine for £3. the good ole days.. Another odd ball - BLACK NASTY- CUT YOUR MOTER OFF.. HA
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert