"darlin'" - Instrumental

Just going through some gear and I came across a Beach Boys album called "Stack O' Tracks" from '68 which is the original instrumental backing tracks of their hits from the mid 60's.

Track 1, Side 1 is a 100% storming Northern instrumental version of "Darlin'" which sounds incredible. It is the 'Wreckin Crue' (the cream of L.A. session musicians) so it's obviously vintage stuff - not a million miles away from Mike Post IMO.

Anyone know it?

Ian D :lol:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

"Darlin'", with its proper vocals, and much of the "Wild Honey" LP is heavily soul/r&b influenced and Beach Boys was going through their post-Smile/Pet Sounds back-to-the-roots phase when they recorded it (some of their stuff from this period is extremely stripped down, primitive party stuff, "How She Boogalooed It", a cover of Stevie's "I Was Made To Love Her" etc.). I've never really thought about "Darlin'" in the context of being an instrumental northern soul stomper... and I've never checked out the "Stack O' Tracks" album... but I bet it works fine because it's a lovely stomping tune. I play the vocal take every now and then when I DJ at pop clubs etc.

Social source share

"Darlin'", with its proper vocals, and much of the "Wild Honey" LP is heavily soul/r&b influenced and Beach Boys was going through their post-Smile/Pet Sounds back-to-the-roots phase when they recorded it (some of their stuff from this period is extremely stripped down, primitive party stuff, "How She Boogalooed It", a cover of Stevie's "I Was Made To Love Her" etc.). I've never really thought about "Darlin'" in the context of being an instrumental northern soul stomper... and I've never checked out the "Stack O' Tracks" album... but I bet it works fine because it's a lovely stomping tune. I play the vocal take every now and then when I DJ at pop clubs etc.

It's amazing just how Northern it is when the Beach Boys harmonies are removed. I've just done a comparison and you can plainly hear a straight Northern backing underneath the vocals. If it was the Sons Of Moses we'd all be lapping it up LOL.........

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Strange that, as "Darlin'" was easily my favourite Beach Boys record at the time - along with "God Only Knows" of course (which even Betty Everett doesn't quite do justice to!) Haven't heard it in a while though.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

...just nipped over to YouTube for a quick listen to "Darlin" (I guessed it might be on there!), and I see what you mean. Somebody said it was originally written for Three Dog Night by the way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v9DXNJQuB4

was at a very lame pop club ( they always are ) here a year ago or so and this came on. Got me to the floor w-out thinking as only a grt northern record can do. Abs superb !

forgot would love to hear the instr.

Edited by Soulof
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert