Did We Decide These Were Bootlegs?

Pete S

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Pete, I would say it was a JA original. Some pressings continued to be pressed in Jamaica right through to the 1980s, but I would assume that later presses would have plain black and white labels (eg, Nina Simone on Bethlehem etc).

Social source share

looks like a jamaican release to me from the type face. some calla releases came out

on jamaican stateside.ive got jean wells "with my love"on stateside.i wish i could scan it

and post it up but i aint got the knowledge yet biggrin.gif

dave

I had Roy Roberts "Got to have your love" on Jamaican Stateside!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

It's a boot, Pete - all of Coxsone's issues of RRR are boots, regardless of whatever colour the label is.

He never had the rights to Musicor, although the did have the rights to Calla and in fact he put out Jerry Williams' "Baby Bunny (Sugar Honey)" on Ja. Calla (with the same catalogue number as shown on this pressing of RRR, which is the US Musicor number on the left hand 'side' of the label)! I have a feeling that he didn't put either of these records out until the early 70s, by which time Calla had temporarily ceased to exist as a record label.

I've got an original Ja. Calla, of Tony Fox' "Lean On Me" (the tune that the Maytals ripped off for 'Pressure Drop'). If it's handy I'll scan it and post it up. It has "distributed by Studio 1" and the Brentford Road address printed round the bottom of the label", a sure sign that Coxone wasn't hiding anything when he released it....

I'd say, though, that of all the different bootleggings that Coxsone did of RRR, with the different label colourings, this is the 'original bootleg'!

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Here you go, then, a 'real' Jamaican Calla from the time when Coxsone actually had the rights to distribute the label...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert