• Replies 9
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The artist's name is actually 'Justin' - copies of the UK release accidentally added an 'e' which, on many copies, was manually crossed out by the head of Buffalo Records.

I have no biographical info on the man behind one of the great mystery records of soul, but I do know that Jimmy James also recorded the song here in the UK, and that the tape of Jimmy's version is sadly lost...

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Two US releases for "Right Now" by Justin on Down East, 1969, out of New York

5341 - What can I do/Right Now

5372 - Right Now/Place where sorrow hides

The 5372 release is pretty easy to find. Not so for 5341, with "What can I do" being the superior side - it's a rare and great record.

Seem to recall reading that only a very limited number of copies of "What can I do" made it out to the general public due to some contractual dispute.

Best

John

Think they did another single as well on the same label Down East. From NY?
Social source share

Guest mel brat

The artist's name is actually 'Justin' - copies of the UK release accidentally added an 'e' which, on many copies, was manually crossed out by the head of Buffalo Records.

I have no biographical info on the man behind one of the great mystery records of soul, but I do know that Jimmy James also recorded the song here in the UK, and that the tape of Jimmy's version is sadly lost...

I bought this new in 1974 (I think) It was on a peculiar pink Action label and I was never sure whether it was a UK recording. I can't remember what the flip side was. Heard it for the first time again about two years ago. Sounded quite nice. Long since sold now though.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

• 7 months later...
Guest mel brat

I bought this new in 1974 (I think) It was on a peculiar pink Action label and I was never sure whether it was a UK recording. I can't remember what the flip side was. Heard it for the first time again about two years ago. Sounded quite nice. Long since sold now though.

Yeah, yeah I know - I screwed up!

The Justine record was of course on UK Buffalo, not pink Action as quoted above! (I had it confused with the Buster Pearson release on Action 4612, which I had about the same time! (Buster apparently being the father of 80s pop-soul group 'Five Star' by the way!)

post-4950-1232662121_thumb.jpg

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Two US releases for "Right Now" by Justin on Down East, 1969, out of New York

5341 - What can I do/Right Now

5372 - Right Now/Place where sorrow hides

The 5372 release is pretty easy to find. Not so for 5341, with "What can I do" being the superior side - it's a rare and great record.

Seem to recall reading that only a very limited number of copies of "What can I do" made it out to the general public due to some contractual dispute.

Best

John

Tim Asibende would be able to shed more light in this - I was at his place about 12 or more years ago when he showed me a contract between the artist (whose name escapes me, but was not Justin) and the label. To be more exact it was a sort of "end of contract", releasing (sacking?) the artist from Down East, whist the label would continue to use the name "Justin" for any further recordings.

I don't know at what point in time this happened, whether it was after "What Can I Do / Right On" and before the "Place Where Sorrow Hides" , or after both releases.

If it's the former then it would mean "Sorrow" is a different artist from the two previous tracks.

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

https://northern-soul-records.com

https://motownsound.co.uk

Social source share

• 9 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!