New York Soul Clubs/events/gigs Etc

I`m off to New York in a few weeks for a holiday with the missus...although I have been there more times than i care to remember, 18 i think, i have never actually stayed there and done the tourist thing.

Can anyone recomend and clubs/ theatres/bars etc where they might play some decent soul or blues? I have checked out the Apollo and BB Kings club but there does`nt seem to be much happening...

Cheers, Chris

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Salv

There's Subway Soul which takes place on the third Saturday of each month at Fontana's on the Lower East Side. Next event is 21st June which sounds about right for your trip - full details here..

Subway Soul also have a page on their site for other soul events in the city - see here.

Not soul-related, but if you fancy some pizza while you're there, the best pizza I've ever eaten was at Lombardi's - this is also on the Lower East Side and just a short walk from Fontana's.

Social source share

I`m off to New York in a few weeks for a holiday with the missus...although I have been there more times than i care to remember, 18 i think, i have never actually stayed there and done the tourist thing.

Can anyone recomend and clubs/ theatres/bars etc where they might play some decent soul or blues? I have checked out the Apollo and BB Kings club but there does`nt seem to be much happening...

Cheers, Chris

Hi Chris

just got back this thursday,as you say not much happening in manhattan. If you can call and see a freind of mine in down town area of grenwich village, he has a record shop STRIDER RECORDS on Jones st. he has some good stuff but will not let you look through any boxes. you have to take a list.

He is in a eary r+b band and knows all the small clubs where things are going on. I left it a little to late and missed out on a couple of good gigs. If you need his number let me know and ill dig it out. just mention Paul Kidd Stockport to him, his name is Bob.

good luck Paul Kidd at kidd22@live.co.uk

Social source share

Guest veep1296

Cheers, Chris

Chris,

I will speak to Dave Withers in NJ who has his finger on the NYC soul scene and DJs here & there too.

I will also contact Kym Fuller who will know whats on too.

Leave it with me for a few days.....what dates?

Regards

David Ferguson

Social source share

Cheers, Chris

Will post this in events when everything is finalized, but Mr. Robinson (pomonkey on soul-source) and I are starting a monthly soul/funk night, the first of which will take place Saturday, June 28. It will be at Five Spot Soul Food in Ft. Greene, Brooklyn (easily accessible on the A/C/G subway to the Clinton/Washington stop). Great sound system and wooden dance floor.

More importantly, we're really excited to have booked Don Gardner to play his first NYC show since 1969 - he and his band will perform before we start DJ'ing that night.

Mr. Robinson will be one of the guest DJ's at the aforementioned Subway Soul on Saturday, June 21 (@ Fontana's in Manhattan, 105 Eldridge between Broome and Grand). Bossy Boots is the other guest - had the pleasure of DJ'ing with her this past Saturday. Both have excellent records and will rock the dancefloor.

On June 7 and June 14, Lynne K. and guests TBD will be playing soul and funk in the back room of Union Pool (484 Union Ave,) in Williamsburg. I am more than a little biased, but Lynne always plays great stuff, as those who heard her in Seattle, Chicago, and Malmo, Sweden last year can attest.

Every Wednesday at Botanica (47 East Houston Street between Mulberry and Mott), Mr. Finewine plays great soul records, as he has for the past 11 years in the same location. You should also be tuning into his radio show "Downtown Soulville" or downloading his weekly podcasts on wfmu.com - great stuff. This is a bar night, not a dance night. Dancing is actually not allowed here as a result of NYC's archaic and rather ridiculous cabaret laws.

Also, on Friday, June 20th, Mr. Finewine and Carlos "The Paw" will be doing their Horse River Social soul night at the Royal Oak in Williamsburg (594 Union, on the corner - sign is on the door, not easy to spot).

There's probably more stuff going on, but that's a thumbnail sketch of what's going on in the NYC area in June soul-wise.

Hope that helps. Drop me a line - happy to suggest restaurants and bars, depending on your tastes...

- Richard / DJ Honky

ps - Lombardi's is great, but it's very hit or miss lately. I've had both divine and very disappointing soggy pizza there.

Social source share

Thanks for the info guys, all really useful.

I was`nt really looking for a soul night as such, more a bar where there may be a decent act or something. In saying that I`ll definatly be dropping into the Subway club on the 21st, just cleared it with the boss!

The other gigs mentioned dont coincide with the times of my trip, maybe next time i can attend them.

Thanks again and good luck with those gigs guys.

Chris

ps, thanks for the tip on Pizza...dont think we have ever met but you seem to know me really well!

Social source share

Guest Salv

Thanks for the info guys, all really useful.

I was`nt really looking for a soul night as such, more a bar where there may be a decent act or something. In saying that I`ll definatly be dropping into the Subway club on the 21st, just cleared it with the boss!

The other gigs mentioned dont coincide with the times of my trip, maybe next time i can attend them.

Thanks again and good luck with those gigs guys.

Chris

ps, thanks for the tip on Pizza...dont think we have ever met but you seem to know me really well!

A few more for you that might be of interest, all at Joe's Pub on Lafayette Street, between Greenwich Village and the East Village:

Joe Louis Walker on 21st, the same night as Subway Soul, details here.

Allen Toussaint on 22nd June, details here.

Tony Joe White on 25th June, details here.

Maxine Brown and Baby Washington are playing there on 7th June, but I think that'll be too soon for you.

Also, check Time Out New Yorks music pages nearer the time for more.

As for the pizza tip, that was pure dumb luck, but who doesn't like pizza? :thumbup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert