• Replies 156
  • Views 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Mart B

I hate put a dampner on things :thumbsup: but i dont thinks its a good thing, has always to much politics on the Northern scene to "please" everyone :thumbsup: .Kr & other promoters capable of putting on a BIG venue must have looked into this venture and decided not enough cash to be made IMO,but good luck Mandy dont end up out of pocket, and dont forget 20 odd postings doesnt fill a venue the size of The Palais...

Social source share

I hate put a dampner on things sad.gif but i dont thinks its a good thing, has always to much politics on the Northern scene to "please" everyone :thumbsup: .Kr & other promoters capable of putting on a BIG venue must have looked into this venture and decided not enough cash to be made IMO,but good luck Mandy dont end up out of pocket, and dont forget 20 odd postings doesnt fill a venue the size of The Palais...

I know and it will just be a dream for many of us

Which is a real shame because it could cater for all the soul genres in one venue

As I did say needs someone with mighty big cahones to pull it off and there are very few of them about.

It will stay a dream as Paul S said and be happy with the fantastic memories we have about "the old girl"

Mand ( staying happy ) :thumbsup:

lookin foward to whitby

Social source share

me too Mand

Are we gonna pull this one off then?

hiya mandy

long time no see,ok the palais,i dj'd there on what was proberbly the 2nd to the last night,it was a great night too and as a dj ,one i felt really honoured to do,the guy running it was jonna from notts and to be honest the expences involved was unbelievable.the dance floor is very small now,if you got 350 in there it would be rammed.i think as a one off like alfreton it would go well,but as in soul there are always POLITICS (even if you dont want to get involved you get dragged in)and depending on who is running it determins who is dj'ing there,i will say nomore.anyway our good old HEALTH AND SAFTEY,is doing a good job of messing up future alfreton reuinions at the moment. I REALLY HATE THIS HSE,THE SMOKING BAN AND EVERYTHING ELSE THEY ARE ABOUT,IT IS PURE DICTATORSHIP ,it has messed up me going out ,its the first time in about 12 year i havnt been to cleethorpes WHY? because i would spend most of the time outside,stop smoking you say,thing is i dont want to stop smoking,i will decide when i do not some arsehole sat at a desk thinking of new ideas to come up with.anyway good luck with the palais idea mandy and al the best

wishes to you and gary

ian

GET READY FOR ALL PEDESTRIANS MUST WEAR HIGH VIZ JACKETS,ITS ON ITS WAY

Social source share

Guest krawen

hiya mandy

long time no see,ok the palais,i dj'd there on what was proberbly the 2nd to the last night,it was a great night too and as a dj ,one i felt really honoured to do,the guy running it was jonna from notts and to be honest the expences involved was unbelievable.the dance floor is very small now,if you got 350 in there it would be rammed.i think as a one off like alfreton it would go well,but as in soul there are always POLITICS (even if you dont want to get involved you get dragged in)and depending on who is running it determins who is dj'ing there,i will say nomore.anyway our good old HEALTH AND SAFTEY,is doing a good job of messing up future alfreton reuinions at the moment. I REALLY HATE THIS HSE,THE SMOKING BAN AND EVERYTHING ELSE THEY ARE ABOUT,IT IS PURE DICTATORSHIP ,it has messed up me going out ,its the first time in about 12 year i havnt been to cleethorpes WHY? because i would spend most of the time outside,stop smoking you say,thing is i dont want to stop smoking,i will decide when i do not some arsehole sat at a desk thinking of new ideas to come up with.anyway good luck with the palais idea mandy and al the best

wishes to you and gary

ian

Morning Pat & Ian,

Whats the latest on another Alfreton reunion then , i take it there wont be one this year.

As for a palais reunion i'd love to see it come off, it's just a pity about what they have done to the inside ( i.e . dance floor and stage etc ) it used to have the best dance floor in the country by far .

All the best

Steve B

Social source share

I know and it will just be a dream for many of us

Which is a real shame because it could cater for all the soul genres in one venue

As I did say needs someone with mighty big cahones to pull it off and there are very few of them about.

It will stay a dream as Paul S said and be happy with the fantastic memories we have about "the old girl"

Mand ( staying happy ) :D

lookin foward to whitby

hey Mand.............. how many tickets do you think you've sold ???? :unsure:

Betty

Social source share

hiya mandy

wishes to you and gary

ian

Bloody hell look whos come out the woodwork :D

How the hell are you doing Ian hope Pat and the family are ok mate :lol:

I know what you're saying about politics and soul politics

Can you imagine how many folks would be outside on the palais steps "avin a fag" LOLOL

Best thing for havin a ciggie is to "buddy up" mate so you can both talk bollox outside together as Its called :lol:

I noticed when I came to read the thread its had 1100ish hits so you never know mate some go-getter promoter might just do us a favour and put it on

All the best Mand :lol:

Social source share

Morning Pat & Ian,

Whats the latest on another Alfreton reunion then , i take it there wont be one this year.

As for a palais reunion i'd love to see it come off, it's just a pity about what they have done to the inside ( i.e . dance floor and stage etc ) it used to have the best dance floor in the country by far .

All the best

Steve B

Hi Steve

Its not that bad inside honest ..its cleaner :lol: .

but it does seem smaller some how ..the balcony is still intact

The stage in the main ballroom sinks back to floor level so you'd be dancing on it altho there is more carpet than there used to be

but the ballroom capacity reckons 1100 but I think Ian is right its more like 350

there are other rooms that hold a couple of hundred each but I reckon mor like 150 each room

It would be a great place to cater for all the soul genres

an amalgamation of all the notts northern clubs might pull it off a "soul alliance" so to speak and djs from each club maybe what do you think?

Mand :lol:

Social source share

hey Mand.............. how many tickets do you think you've sold ???? :lol:

Betty

The thread has has 1,175 views do you reckon theres a bit of interest in this happening? :lol:

probably 100 certainly not enough for it to fly

but hey as a few have said it will never come off cos its too pricey ad too time consumimg to get everything together :lol: and the politics of course

Social source share

Guest BigPaul

Any promoters out there fancy trying to get us a Notts Palais alldayer reunion????

Whats the likelyhood?

Any promoters reading who was involved the first time around?

I bet it would be sold out ....unlimited DJ talent to choose from

But at least some of the resident Djs would have to be in place of course

PRETTY PLEASE!!!!!!!

Thanks

who would buy a ticket?name below please

Mand tickets N0 1,2,3&4

After careful view and review of this much viewed thread :D

IMHO theres only one person with the passion, belief, knowledge and enthusiasm to pull this off :lol:

Thats you MANDY :lol:

Only problem is, would i be allowed in? As i am a nobhead :lol:

Regards and best of luck

Paul

Social source share

The thread has has 1,175 views do you reckon theres a bit of interest in this happening? :lol:

probably 100 certainly not enough for it to fly

but hey as a few have said it will never come off cos its too pricey ad too time consumimg to get everything together :D and the politics of course

If we did a 'pay per view' policy on this thread Mand we would have a few coffers in the bank babes.

Come on guys and gals ..... anyone with an extremely successful business who was once a raggy arsed soulie back in the days of the beloved palais want to just sponser this one off reunion. It would be one hell of a buzz.

Mand if all else fails love, its either prostitution or flogging dodgy tickets at Whitby :lol::D:D

Social source share

Guest krawen

Hi Steve

Its not that bad inside honest ..its cleaner :yes: .

but it does seem smaller some how ..the balcony is still intact

The stage in the main ballroom sinks back to floor level so you'd be dancing on it altho there is more carpet than there used to be

but the ballroom capacity reckons 1100 but I think Ian is right its more like 350

there are other rooms that hold a couple of hundred each but I reckon mor like 150 each room

It would be a great place to cater for all the soul genres

an amalgamation of all the notts northern clubs might pull it off a "soul alliance" so to speak and djs from each club maybe what do you think?

Mand thumbsup.gif

Hi Mand,

Yeah I know it's not that bad inside , it just isn't the same as when we used to go in the 70's ( or 50's in Bazza's case :lol: ) but saying that we've had some very good nights there in the early 90's when Wilko started them up again ( followed by KR and Jonah )

With it having more than one room to go at maybe there is scope for the local promoters in the Notts/Derby area to get together and make this work as a one off all dayer event. ( Rob Smith might dip in to his back pocket , I bet he could buy the place :lol: )

Watching with interest

Steve B

Edited by krawen
Social source share

Hi Mand,

Yeah I know it's not that bad inside , it just isn't the same as when we used to go in the 70's ( or 50's in Bazza's case laugh.gif ) but saying that we've had some very good nights there in the early 90's when Wilko started them up again ( followed by KR and Jonah )

With it having more than one room to go at maybe there is scope for the local promoters in the Notts/Derby area to get together and make this work as a one off all dayer event. ( Rob Smith might dip in to his back pocket , I bet he could buy the place :lol: )

Watching with intrest

Steve B

Bloody 50's :lol:

cya at the Brit steve

Bazza

Social source share

me too Mand

Are we gonna pull this one off then?

Righto Mandy i'm now living in OZ but count me in. 12000 miles and it would be worth every one of them. Never missed an alldayer in the mid 70's, gotta say it was possibly the best venue ever.If i could nominate a non profit organiser my money would be on Dave night nurse from East Kirkby, a nicer bloke you won't find, fair dinkum. Me, well i would come over for a guest spot for free so lets get it on the boil. Chuck out any modern and stick to the tunes that rammed the place on them glorious Sunday afternoons. Alldayer YES if only to keep the blockheads out, oh and on a bank holiday please, oh and can we make it when i make my annual pilgrimage in September PLEASE?

Stay souful and true to the Palais. Regards Tony " T BONE " Western Australia.

Social source share

Righto Mandy i'm now living in OZ but count me in. 12000 miles and it would be worth every one of them. Never missed an alldayer in the mid 70's, gotta say it was possibly the best venue ever.If i could nominate a non profit organiser my money would be on Dave night nurse from East Kirkby, a nicer bloke you won't find, fair dinkum. Me, well i would come over for a guest spot for free so lets get it on the boil. Chuck out any modern and stick to the tunes that rammed the place on them glorious Sunday afternoons. Alldayer YES if only to keep the blockheads out, oh and on a bank holiday please, oh and can we make it when i make my annual pilgrimage in September PLEASE?

Stay souful and true to the Palais. Regards Tony " T BONE " Western Australia.

Hello Tony

where was your location when you lived here then?

I know Dave personally!

Visited Arnold club and kirkby ( have trouble getting these days tho)

you're not asking for much are ya!LOL

Daves not commented on this thread but I guess he'll be readin

So We'll leave it with him :wink:

might be a bit of a tall order for him tho but yep hes a nice chap!

Social source share

Hi Mand,

Yeah I know it's not that bad inside , it just isn't the same as when we used to go in the 70's ( or 50's in Bazza's case :rolleyes: ) but saying that we've had some very good nights there in the early 90's when Wilko started them up again ( followed by KR and Jonah )

With it having more than one room to go at maybe there is scope for the local promoters in the Notts/Derby area to get together and make this work as a one off all dayer event. ( Rob Smith might dip in to his back pocket , I bet he could buy the place :P )

Watching with interest

Steve B

Steve

I think Rob needs to sell a little bit more vinyl to buy the palais but his shops only a spit and a fart away! LOL

definitely needs an amalgamation ....but bugger ...promoters dont talk to each other do they??? :D

Was talking to John Poole on friday @ whitby hes also been reading with interest

He did say tho it would be a very tough call

lets see

Mand excl.gif

Social source share

If we did a 'pay per view' policy on this thread Mand we would have a few coffers in the bank babes.

Come on guys and gals ..... anyone with an extremely successful business who was once a raggy arsed soulie back in the days of the beloved palais want to just sponser this one off reunion. It would be one hell of a buzz.

Mand if all else fails love, its either prostitution or flogging dodgy tickets at Whitby laugh.gif:rolleyes::P

I could stand on the council house steps PMSL!!!!!

wouldnt get much tho :D

Social source share

After careful view and review of this much viewed thread :lol:

IMHO theres only one person with the passion, belief, knowledge and enthusiasm to pull this off thumbup.gif

Thats you MANDY :P

Only problem is, would i be allowed in? As i am a nobhead :D

Regards and best of luck

Paul

all the attic guys would be allowed in mate :rolleyes:

If I was wadded I would have just bloody hired it and let everyone who came, in for free

Even you Paul! :lol:

Social source share

After careful view and review of this much viewed thread :D

IMHO theres only one person with the passion, belief, knowledge and enthusiasm to pull this off thumbup.gif

Thats you MANDY :rolleyes:

Only problem is, would i be allowed in? As i am a nobhead :P

Regards and best of luck

Paul

Social source share

Hello Tony

where was your location when you lived here then?

I know Dave personally!

Visited Arnold club and kirkby ( have trouble getting these days tho)

you're not asking for much are ya!LOL

Daves not commented on this thread but I guess he'll be readin

So We'll leave it with him :P

might be a bit of a tall order for him tho but yep hes a nice chap!

Eyup Mandy, Ta for your interest, i was born in good ole Derby but lived in Peterborough most of my late teen life and used to travel up to Nottingham for the alldayers, bloody well loved the place. Still reckon it's a goer, just go along to the Manager and suggest they give you the room for free as long as they get the bar takings, you know they will be high. Make it ticket only to keep the dickheads out and do it on a bank holiday weekend. Crikey if i lived there now i would be gagging to put it on. You know it makes sense so get it rolling and take no notice of the scaremongers. As far as Dave goes he could help you with it, surprised he has'nt replied to the thread yet cos he loves to have a little go at me lol, bless him. Be coming back to old blighty in September and will be guesting at several do's including Six Hills on the 20th, will you be there?? A pint and a chinwag is in order eh?? Anyway good luck and stay soulful. By the way you know what we say about Derby boy's. Derby born Derby bred, strong in the arm thick in the ed. No offence meant before anyone from Derby reads this, i still love the Rams XXXXXXXXXX

All the best, see yas in September. Tony " T BONE " Western Australia.

Social source share

Eyup Mandy, Ta for your interest, i was born in good ole Derby but lived in Peterborough most of my late teen life and used to travel up to Nottingham for the alldayers, bloody well loved the place. Still reckon it's a goer, just go along to the Manager and suggest they give you the room for free as long as they get the bar takings, you know they will be high. Make it ticket only to keep the dickheads out and do it on a bank holiday weekend. Crikey if i lived there now i would be gagging to put it on. You know it makes sense so get it rolling and take no notice of the scaremongers. As far as Dave goes he could help you with it, surprised he has'nt replied to the thread yet cos he loves to have a little go at me lol, bless him. Be coming back to old blighty in September and will be guesting at several do's including Six Hills on the 20th, will you be there?? A pint and a chinwag is in order eh?? Anyway good luck and stay soulful. By the way you know what we say about Derby boy's. Derby born Derby bred, strong in the arm thick in the ed. No offence meant before anyone from Derby reads this, i still love the Rams XXXXXXXXXX

All the best, see yas in September. Tony " T BONE " Western Australia.

Ahhhhh derby assembly rooms loved their big dancefloor :(

Ive visited six hills too mate nice venue

Could also drag Bryn onto supporting this

Lets see eh?

PS my hubby is a forest fan but loved ol big ed!!(from derby int he?)

Mand :thumbsup:

Social source share

Ahhhhh derby assembly rooms loved their big dancefloor :lol:

Ive visited six hills too mate nice venue

Could also drag Bryn onto supporting this

Lets see eh?

PS my hubby is a forest fan but loved ol big ed!!(from derby int he?)

Mand thumbsup.gif

Eyup Mandy, nowt wrong with Forest, loved going to the matches to watch em when old Cloughy was at the helm. Alway's a big bash for the Derby games in more way's than one. Never forget Cloughy saying to Don Revie on match of the day that if he had Leeds team he would sell the best players to Juventus and the rest to Fray Bentos for corned beef. Bloody classic and on national tv Satdy night. Try and get to Six Hills on the 29th Sept. i'm gonna spin some stonkers. O h and get the Palais thing under way or i will have to move back and do it meself. Stay soulful, Tony E.

Social source share

Eyup Mandy, nowt wrong with Forest, loved going to the matches to watch em when old Cloughy was at the helm. Alway's a big bash for the Derby games in more way's than one. Never forget Cloughy saying to Don Revie on match of the day that if he had Leeds team he would sell the best players to Juventus and the rest to Fray Bentos for corned beef. Bloody classic and on national tv Satdy night. Try and get to Six Hills on the 29th Sept. i'm gonna spin some stonkers. O h and get the Palais thing under way or i will have to move back and do it meself. Stay soulful, Tony E.

Tony

we visited ilkeston Co Op for Kev and Sam Roberts birthdays the other year and theres a brian clough suite

On the wall ther was a saying that cloughie said

rome wasnt built in a day but I wasnt on that job! LOLOL

theres also a wonderful pic of him in his playing days with a stonkin black eye

My old man loved it ..he wanted to take the whole room home with him

theres someone jjust strated a thread about reunion do's so it picking up momentun

Im now off to point him to this thread

Cheers Mand thumbup.gif

Social source share

Guest northernsoulboy6

thumbup.gif YES PLEASE No5 ! :D

Surely its getting Oceana to agree to it, its a very popular club i bet they wouldn't agree to a weekend date. But how hard could it be if they did agree [people like us would flood there

Social source share

Surely its getting Oceana to agree to it, its a very popular club i bet they wouldn't agree to a weekend date. But how hard could it be if they did agree [people like us would flood there

Ahhh there you are ....flood there eh?

Have you enjoyed readin this thread then Soulboy?

there are lots of likeminded folks on here who think a Palais reunion is about due I'm one of them

Mand ...(keepin the dream alive) :thumbup:

OH btw you lot what kind of classic palais tunes would we play were we to pull this thing off?

come on now dont be shy ..... I know there'll be some absoulte corkers you all remember

Country girl /Vicki Baines is a must ...one of my brothers favourite tunes when he used to come with us he used to knock everyone down in the rush to the floor :thumbsup: happy memories

PS listening to andy peebles soul train on smooooth FM

just played "With this ring" The Platters ( lovely tune)

Love my DAB radio

Edited by Madmandy
Social source share

there are lots of likeminded folks on here who think a Palais reunion is about due I'm one of them

Mand ...(keepin the dream alive) :rolleyes:

OH btw you lot what kind of classic palais tunes would we play were we to pull this thing off?

come on now dont be shy ..... I know there'll be some absoulte corkers you all remember

Country girl /Vicki Baines is a must ...one of my brothers favourite tunes when he used to come with us he used to knock everyone down in the rush to the floor :g: happy memories

Love my DAB radio

Top tune for me Mand would have to be Chubby Checker, you just don't know. It used to blow the roof off and there were some fantastic dancers hitting the floor when it came on the decks. Still love it today and will spin it at the reunion, when is it??

Stay soulful, Tony E. OZ.

Social source share

Top tune for me Mand would have to be Chubby Checker, you just don't know. It used to blow the roof off and there were some fantastic dancers hitting the floor when it came on the decks. Still love it today and will spin it at the reunion, when is it??

Stay soulful, Tony E. OZ.

Tell ya wot, with 1800 people having a sticky beak at this thread, if they all turn up we are gonna need to split the gig between the Palais and the old Madisons nightclub up the road to fit em all in. Ahhhh, great times at Madisons between northern nights.

Is it still there?? Tony E. OZ.

Social source share

Tell ya wot, with 1800 people having a sticky beak at this thread, if they all turn up we are gonna need to split the gig between the Palais and the old Madisons nightclub up the road to fit em all in. Ahhhh, great times at Madisons between northern nights.

as far as I know..... yep still there.................

Social source share

We honestly wont need another venue to put more folks in Tony

the Palais has 4 music rooms

the ballroom, bali hai disco room ,the austrailian room ( just to make you feel at home I KID YOU NOT :lol: ) and the spen room complete with mooses head :)

Mand :D

Social source share

We honestly wont need another venue to put more folks in Tony

the Palais has 4 music rooms

the ballroom, bali hai disco room ,the austrailian room ( just to make you feel at home I KID YOU NOT :lol: ) and the spen room complete with mooses head :)

Mand :D

Palais (Oceana) capacity approx... 2500 !!!

The 'Boop'

Social source share

Guest krawen

Palais (Oceana) capacity approx... 2500 !!!

The 'Boop'

Good afternoon Miss Boop,

any idea of the capacity of the Palais in the 1970's Tracy.

Cheers

Steve B

Social source share

Guest krawen

Steve

attendance in 1975 hit 1200

but as for capacity back then what would you say it was?

Mand

Hi Mand,

we didn't have the health & safety laws then that we have to stick to now, so if the building is still the same square footage I would say the old capacity would have been above what Tracy says it is now.

All the best

Steve B

Social source share

Hi Mand,

we didn't have the health & safety laws then that we have to stick to now, so if the building is still the same square footage I would say the old capacity would have been above what Tracy says it is now.

All the best

Steve B

Thats a lot of people in one venue Steve

all the more for a buzzin atmosphere like it used to be ...those alldayers prickled with electric excitement

I would be buzzin for a whole week before the hallowed bus trip

there was a pub just on the corner of the victoria shpping centre it alwasy got full of soulies before the queue up can you remember what that was called?

PS I wasnt allowed in as I was underage!

Mand

Edited by Madmandy
Social source share

Guest northernsoulboy6

Mand ...(keepin the dream alive) :lol:

Country girl /Vicki Baines is a must ...one of my brothers favourite tunes when he used to come with us he used to knock everyone down in the rush to the floor :) happy memories

Love my DAB radio

Loads of tunes but Lee Roye -Tears and as heard on the clip The Invitations - What's Wrong With Me Baby.

Social source share

Good afternoon Miss Boop,

any idea of the capacity of the Palais in the 1970's Tracy.

Cheers

Steve B

G'Day Mr Brown... how the devil are you ?

Ms Boop

x

Social source share

Guest krawen

G'Day Mr Brown... how the devil are you ?

Ms Boop

x

Thanks for asking Tracy I'm very well,

but not as well as Karen cus she has just broke up for 6 weeks ( teachers eh bloody hard done too she tells me :) )

Are we going to get this Palais thing off the ground then or what.

Steve B

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert