Notts Palais Reunion /promoters With Fat Wallets

Any promoters out there fancy trying to get us a Notts Palais alldayer reunion????

Whats the likelyhood?

Any promoters reading who was involved the first time around?

I bet it would be sold out ....unlimited DJ talent to choose from

But at least some of the resident Djs would have to be in place of course

PRETTY PLEASE!!!!!!!

Thanks

who would buy a ticket?name below please

Mand tickets N0 1,2,3&4

Social source share

• Replies 156
  • Views 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest SteveJohnston

:unsure: YES PLEASE No5 ! :)

Any promoters out there fancy trying to get us a Notts Palais alldayer reunion????

Whats the likelyhood?

PRETTY PLEASE!!!!!!!

Thanks

Mand tickets N0 1,2,3&4

Social source share

well ,if that happened, I think I would need 8 to 10 tickets for my crew ,for a start :unsure:

Bazza

welcome aboard Bazza thats 20 ish sold then

every venue in notts could flyer it if it was amalgamated

Not sure what the capacity is now I will look on their website

OK guys the ballroom holds 1160 bodies could we hit that target???

post-706-1214305204_thumb.jpg

post-706-1214305432_thumb.jpg

Edited by Madmandy
Social source share

Not been inside for decades Mandy, is the dancefloor (upstairs) still in place? I know the Bali downstairs has gone, no call for revolving floors these days.

BTW Mandy, I do have some pictures somewhere from '76 / '77, I'll try to find 'em out.

Attic lads would be happy to have some tickets, most of us cut our teeth there before going home to practice dancing in our bedrooms!

Social source share

Astonishing!

Every other thread on here at the moment tells of a good venue closing or a progressive event struggling... and you lot want yet another nostalgia wallowing retro-fest! :rolleyes:

Hey Dave these were cutting edge sounds hun, c'mon ya must have been down the Bali Hai, cor blimey the soulies and the jazz funkers together again for one last time, bring it on wink.gif

Social source share

Guest denmac

cracking idea madmandy. but why ask for fat wallets to bankrole the event.open it up for bids for all the dj`s in the east midlands. no, forget that.,..,.,., the northernsoul world. wanna play gotta pay. lottery time now.which 3 dj`s are essential.no cost to them, obviously jonathan. take it from there. i`ll do the 6 to 7 pm slot for £47. 83. thats all i`ve got in my paypal account. think about it every one we all went there. idea .. pound a record to play it. it could be mental.

Social source share

Guest pit bloke
:rolleyes:biggrin.gif:rolleyes: Brill idea mandy will we be catching the bus, i will be getting on at bilsthorpe with pembo, bucket, johna,jeff small, there will be the ollerton crew already on and we can pick up the fransfield crew on the way.Or we can just get a bus from the robin hood. :D:shades::wave: Edited by pit bloke
Social source share

Astonishing!

Every other thread on here at the moment tells of a good venue closing or a progressive event struggling... and you lot want yet another nostalgia wallowing retro-fest! :rolleyes:

Im surprised you didnt say

CRAZY FOOLS!!!!! with an 80s pic like that

and we're talking a ONE OFF not a regular night!

Mand smile.gif

Social source share

biggrin.gif:rolleyes::D Brill idea mandy will we be catching the bus, i will be getting on at bilsthorpe with pembo, bucket, johna,jeff small, there will be the ollerton crew already on and we can pick up the fransfield crew on the way.Or we can just get a bus from the robin hood. :shades::wave:biggrin.gif

BLess ya Tim I will see you on the notts bus pickin up at ollerton /edinstowe

( dont forget andy mendham and pogule! )then on to pick bilsthorpe crew up

then on to pick up at every small village bewtween there and notts palais :rolleyes:

Lets not let dave rain on our parade!

Social source share

cracking idea madmandy. but why ask for fat wallets to bankrole the event.open it up for bids for all the dj`s in the east midlands. no, forget that.,..,.,., the northernsoul world. wanna play gotta pay. lottery time now.which 3 dj`s are essential.no cost to them, obviously jonathan. take it from there. i`ll do the 6 to 7 pm slot for £47. 83. thats all i`ve got in my paypal account. think about it every one we all went there. idea .. pound a record to play it. it could be mental.

what would we charge to get in ?

we still need some "crazy fool" to organize it LOL :rolleyes:

It might just work!

Social source share

Not been inside for decades Mandy, is the dancefloor (upstairs) still in place? I know the Bali downstairs has gone, no call for revolving floors these days.

BTW Mandy, I do have some pictures somewhere from '76 / '77, I'll try to find 'em out.

Attic lads would be happy to have some tickets, most of us cut our teeth there before going home to practice dancing in our bedrooms!

Dean the pics above are 2008 bang up to date!!!

still has the balcony all around the floors quite a bit smaller

but its still beautiful

I visited in may 2008for an inside view its still a magical feeling.. the lobby has the box office on the other side now tho ( it was on the right its now on the left)

Dean do you remember them searching all your nighter bags as you went in??

thumbup.gif get them pics posted up on here too Dean!

Edited by Madmandy
Social source share

Its been tried a couple of times over the last 15 -20 years,kev roberts gave it another go for a while then a couple of notts lads did it.Was brill to start with then the problem came of trying to keep nob head town folk out.The kind that are just after a late drink and a piss about.

Im not sure but i think low numbers and the price it cost to have the place made it a no no.Unless you like the late night piss head banging into you with a bottle of bud whislt you are trying to enjoy a bit of soul.

Would be great but a hard place to have soul events now i think,its for the young bulls of notts to go into and have two bottles of beer and then take on the world boxing.gif

Its also been tried at other clubs in the town and they have failed as well sad.gif

Social source share

Its been tried a couple of times over the last 15 -20 years,kev roberts gave it another go for a while then a couple of notts lads did it.Was brill to start with then the problem came of trying to keep nob head town folk out.The kind that are just after a late drink and a piss about.

Im not sure but i think low numbers and the price it cost to have the place made it a no no.Unless you like the late night piss head banging into you with a bottle of bud whislt you are trying to enjoy a bit of soul.

Would be great but a hard place to have soul events now i think,its for the young bulls of notts to go into and have two bottles of beer and then take on the world boxing.gif

Its also been tried at other clubs in the town and they have failed as well sad.gif

[/quote

Thats why I said alldayer not nighter and an organiser who knows what theyre doing!!!!!

We could take over the whole venue to stop the nobheads and it would be ticket only!!!!!

Also several rooms for different styles of soul ( must email thier management to see how much it would cost for a sunday alldayer( like it used to be) couple of grand dya reckon?

Just a one off reunion for all the palais goers as Dave above said a nostalgia wallowing retrofest!!!!

Social source share

Astonishing!

Every other thread on here at the moment tells of a good venue closing or a progressive event struggling... and you lot want yet another nostalgia wallowing retro-fest! laugh.gif

Are you coming then Dave???????????????? wink.gif

PS I dont see many of Goldsouls weekenders/big events struggling for numbers

Whitby / kings hall stoke for example

Social source share

well ,if that happened, I think I would need 8 to 10 tickets for my crew ,for a start yes.gif

Bazza

Hey Bazza..................... we got a challenge now...this was top of our thoughts................ re opening of another old soul venue in a couple of weeks ............... plus we have wheels in motion.................. thumbsup.gif

Tracey n Andy

Social source share

Hey Bazza..................... we got a challenge now...this was top of our thoughts................ re opening of another old soul venue in a couple of weeks ............... plus we have wheels in motion.................. thumbsup.gif

Tracey n Andy

Betty

It'll just be a fantasy if someone don't step up to the plate! (or a consortium takes charge of the venture)

And has been said its been tried before and didnt work ..all I'm talking of is a HUGE one off

This venue is one of the very last proper dancehalls that can cope with a huge number of dancers all in one place its also been said theres no place like these venues for the atmosphere

We're all part of it if we buy a ticket!!!

Mand thumbsup.gif

Just think of all those soul people in one place like they used to do every month on a sunday afternoon

dancin their little hearts out

Social source share

Betty

It'll just be a fantasy if someone don't step up to the plate! (or a consortium takes charge of the venture)

And has been said its been tried before and didnt work ..all I'm talking of is a HUGE one off

This venue is one of the very last proper dancehalls that can cope with a huge number of dancers all in one place its also been said theres no place like these venues for the atmosphere

We're all part of it if we buy a ticket!!!

Mand thumbsup.gif

Just think of all those soul people in one place like they used to do every month on a sunday afternoon

Mand............ definately a 'one off' re union..................... and why not organised by non money making people...............and wow wouldnt it be great to have a room full of real soulies.................

hope to see you at the bat cave then we can have a chat............ rolleyes.gif

luv Betty

x

Social source share

Let the memory rest in peace. As a Grantham lad, i spent a lot of time at the Palais in the 70's...loved every minute of it! Went back in the mid 80's and it was sh-te! Dont think there is a large enough crowd to support an event like that...too disperate nowadays! yes.gif

Social source share

Mand............ definately a 'one off' re union..................... and why not organised by non money making people...............and wow wouldnt it be great to have a room full of real soulies.................

hope to see you at the bat cave then we can have a chat............ rolleyes.gif

luv Betty

x

LOL Betty ...batcave laugh.gif

There'll be rooms to chat/chill/dance just like it used to be

Luv to see you there Betty

Heres to hoping!

Mand xx

Social source share

Let the memory rest in peace. As a Grantham lad, i spent a lot of time at the Palais in the 70's...loved every minute of it! Went back in the mid 80's and it was sh-te! Dont think there is a large enough crowd to support an event like that...too disperate nowadays! yes.gif

Paul I missed all the other attempts in the 80's I was having babies!

but surely a one off ??

Im aware you know what it would take to get this kind organised (not a bloody walk in the park)

If it got sorted tho could you resist a visit as an ex palais goer?

what do you mean by disperate? sorry I dont understand that bit

Bearing in mind that no-one does a sunday alldayer might have a better chance and might pull in better numbers

PS see my other post about you and shane wink.gif just a bit of tongue in cheek

Its good to dream! thumbup.gif

Edited by Madmandy
Social source share

Dean we'll certaily need your crew to do the aspen room ...for underplayed northern soul

this is that room

it allegedly holds 390 folks and what shall we play in the other room ??

post-706-1214397779_thumb.jpg

post-706-1214398023_thumb.jpg

post-706-1214397779_thumb.jpg

post-706-1214398023_thumb.jpg

Edited by Madmandy
Social source share

Dean the pics above are 2008 bang up to date!!!

still has the balcony all around the floors quite a bit smaller

but its still beautiful

I visited in may 2008for an inside view its still a magical feeling.. the lobby has the box office on the other side now tho ( it was on the right its now on the left)

Dean do you remember them searching all your nighter bags as you went in??

:thumbsup: get them pics posted up on here too Dean!

lad i used to work with did some work there few years ago, was there when they opened it up for first time and he said it was like the Marie Celeste, leftover drinks in glasses, coats in cloakroom, tills open; like it was left at very short notice. would like to see it again, spent many nights there in 70s/80s, not always for Soul events, many a stag do in notts at that time and usually ended up here.

steve

Social source share

lad i used to work with did some work there few years ago, was there when they opened it up for first time and he said it was like the Marie Celeste, leftover drinks in glasses, coats in cloakroom, tills open; like it was left at very short notice. would like to see it again, spent many nights there in 70s/80s, not always for Soul events, many a stag do in notts at that time and usually ended up here.

steve

Same here Ste ...went clubbing there after N/S it was a right knocking shop :thumbsup: !!!LOL

still had the same set up tho

would have loved to see the scene about the marie celeste eeeerrie and spooky!

Social source share

Paul I missed all the other attempts in the 80's I was having babies!

but surely a one off ??

Im aware you know what it would take to get this kind organised (not a bloody walk in the park)

If it got sorted tho could you resist a visit as an ex palais goer?

what do you mean by disperate? sorry I dont understand that bit

Bearing in mind that no-one does a sunday alldayer might have a better chance and might pull in better numbers

PS see my other post about you and shane :yes: just a bit of tongue in cheek

Its good to dream! :thumbsup:

Its a great dream event! I loved the Palais and the Brit! Just think everyone would be moaning about different things, like music and dj's. The residents at the time were at the forefront of it all, new and exciting tunes each month. Would it be the same now? Im not really into the nostalgia tune thing cos its everywhere and dominating the scene. But, if it was a Palais reunion done in the same pioneering musical spirit as back in the day, then yes, im in. :yes:

p.s. Shane would do a great film......be very dark though!ha! :ohmy:

Social source share

Hey Dave these were cutting edge sounds hun, c'mon ya must have been down the Bali Hai, cor blimey the soulies and the jazz funkers together again for one last time, bring it on :yes:

Yeah, I went a time or two in the 70s. Wasn't there a moving dancefloor or is that somewhere else? :ohmy:

Are you coming then Dave???????????????? :yes:

PS I dont see many of Goldsouls weekenders/big events struggling for numbers

Whitby / kings hall stoke for example

Those nostalgia-fests are not really my cuppa tbh Mandy, although if there was some funk as Dawn suggests it might be more interesting. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Its a great dream event! I loved the Palais and the Brit! Just think everyone would be moaning about different things, like music and dj's. The residents at the time were at the forefront of it all, new and exciting tunes each month. Would it be the same now? Im not really into the nostalgia tune thing cos its everywhere and dominating the scene. But, if it was a Palais reunion done in the same pioneering musical spirit as back in the day, then yes, im in. yes.gif

p.s. Shane would do a great film......be very dark though!ha! :thumbup:

Thats why I voted for Shane to do a movie about the scene it would pull no punches the drug deals the robberies from chemists the drug related deaths all the gritty things that make up a great movie ...like trainspottin with brilliant music

Also theres several different large capacity rooms for all the styles of music

funk/deep soul /underplayed and rarities/modern /oldies

It could cater for all of them under one roof

BTW who would you pick to dj for your fave soul genre?

Social source share

Yeah, I went a time or two in the 70s. Wasn't there a moving dancefloor or is that somewhere else? unsure.gif

Those nostalgia-fests are not really my cuppa tbh Mandy, although if there was some funk as Dawn suggests it might be more interesting. :thumbup:

bali hai the downstairs funk room Dave had a revolving floor cane settees and climbing vines.

hey we could even chuck in some reggae down there to go with the jazz funk and deep soul

Please see the post above about music genres for the "fantasy reunion"

Ive now dubbed it this because I just read another post about upfront at the seafront :yes:

Social source share

Dougie were you "an original" did you play there? then hey put ya name down!!!

the old residents would have to be in attendance

:thumbsup:

AT notts palais long before the legendary all dayers where held there,but never DJ;d there

did Mansfield Palais,years before,

then got Wed shame that ended a lot of late and arduos nights catching the paper vans from the station to Mansfield

with a woman resting on top of 5000 News of the Worlds etc,

god I was tight in those days.

not changed much

cost to put on around 5k dependent on venue costs and security etc,

Social source share

I'll do 7 til 7.10 for £50 just to say i DJ'd at the legendary Palais. And yes Johnathon should be the man upstairs, and possibly downstairs as well. That is if Colin Curtis isn't prepared to revolve that dance floor once more.

This event should go ahead. I'll call my agent and see if he knows a man who can....(i dont have an agent really, got a bit carried away!)

Social source share

I'll do 7 til 7.10 for £50 just to say i DJ'd at the legendary Palais. And yes Johnathon should be the man upstairs, and possibly downstairs as well. That is if Colin Curtis isn't prepared to revolve that dance floor once more.

This event should go ahead. I'll call my agent and see if he knows a man who can....(i dont have an agent really, got a bit carried away!)

will you be catching the bus to come Jacko? laugh.gif

Social source share

Whats the likelyhood?

PRETTY PLEASE!!!!!!!

Thanks

Mand tickets N0 1,2,3&4

hi mand great post and if you (or whoever) were to make it a annual event like the alfreton reunion i think it would be a winner .would be good to get everyone together.

Social source share

will you be catching the bus to come Jacko? laugh.gif

The ten past one Gashes bus from the bus station to the Broad Marsh, then a dash up weekday cross, along George Street to get in the queue, hoping that no one took our seat next to the stage. Ah the days when i could run!!!!!

Social source share

The ten past one Gashes bus from the bus station to the Broad Marsh, then a dash up weekday cross, along George Street to get in the queue, hoping that no one took our seat next to the stage. Ah the days when i could run!!!!!

we used to do it from the train station... would kill me now it was uphill!!!! laugh.gif

Social source share

Hey Andy long time no see!

(love your morph man) :D

I think we on the thread are all getting carried away with the thought of a one off event or mebbes a yearly event (went to both alfreton reunions they were brill)

We should maybe get smooth or solar or boundry sound to sponsor it :thumbup:

theres no revolving floor now just a full on disco funk underlit floor in bal hai! john travolta wouldnt look out of place on it :yes:

As Doug says we need probably 5k to get it off the ground

So PLEASE PLEASE Mr promoters out there its the most amazing venue and it would be filled with the most amazing folks I know so give us a go

Mand :thumbup:

Social source share

you would pay 50 quid to DJ for 10 minutes,

good man that 10 mins at 50 quid every hour x6 x 10 hours equals 3k not quite enough

but getting there.

Social source share

you would pay 50 quid to DJ for 10 minutes,

good man that 10 mins at 50 quid every hour x6 x 10 hours equals 3k not quite enough

but getting there.

An event for the people by the people

excellent

Then Doug how much to get in each tenner? and 2000 punters = 20K or a 8 quid = 16K or even cheap as chips fiver =10K door sales still not bad at a fiver per head

I'd be willing to pay a tenner per ticket

Mand :wicked:

Social source share

An event for the people by the people

excellent

Then Doug how much to get in each tenner? and 2000 punters = 20K or a 8 quid = 16K or even cheap as chips fiver =10K door sales still not bad at a fiver per head

I'd be willing to pay a tenner per ticket

Mand :thumbup:

me too Mand

Are we gonna pull this one off then?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert