What Makes Soul, Soul?

what makes a soul record..........a soul record?

the artist?

the label?

were it was recorded?

instruments used?

black artist / white artist?

personal taste?

so many different forms of music start of at one point and end in another, ie gospel - soul - disco

blues - r+b - rock n roll

so what goes into making that perfect tune?

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

"i was just interested in other peoples views."

I know. And you probably didn't deserve that smart arse reply*

But there again maybe you did.

Trouble is you are asking the million dollar question

& I don't think any body will be able to answer it.

Its all down to personal preference. Here are a couple of examples:

Dean Parish shouldn't have been able to cut the soulful records that he has.

Ian Levine has struggled to make soulful records with all of Detroits finest behind the mike.

Its a state of uncertainty & perplexity.

*I'm expecting usual castigation from Karen.

Social source share

"i was just interested in other peoples views."

I know. And you probably didn't deserve that smart arse reply*

But there again maybe you did.

Trouble is you are asking the million dollar question

& I don't think any body will be able to answer it.

Its all down to personal preference. Here are a couple of examples:

Dean Parish shouldn't have been able to cut the soulful records that he has.

Ian Levine has struggled to make soulful records with all of Detroits finest behind the mike.

Its a state of uncertainty & perplexity.

*I'm expecting usual castigation from Karen.

link

Come on Col Im not that back, honest!

I agree with personal preference, 'each to their own' and all that.

I dont think I have the right to slag other people's music preference down like they shouldn't for mine, we wouldn't be individuals otherwise.

As for Dean Parish, he is brilliant, when I saw him at rehearsals he was amazing, Randy thought the same and he seemed a nice guy too.

There you go Col, how was that?

Social source share

the artist?

the label?

were it was recorded?

instruments used?

personal taste?

so many different forms of music start of at one point and end in another, ie gospel - soul - disco

link

Dont think you can ever say what goes into the perfect tune, as we would all have our own perception of that. But for me, its just listening to something that makes me want to sing and dance along to passionately - but there are so many, I normally sing along to and dance all nite!!! (of course knowing the words helps!)

Social source share

the artist?

the label?

were it was recorded?

instruments used?

personal taste?

link

========

Personally I think where it was recorded and by whom, is irrelevant. The criteria should be does the record move you, does it touch you, make you shiver......If so, IMO it's the perfect soul record.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

========

Personally I think where it was recorded and by whom, is irrelevant. The criteria should be does the record move you, does it touch you, make you shiver......If so, IMO it's the perfect soul record.

Winnie:-)

link

=========

Probably should have added when I said shiver, I was talking about the ones that travel the spine as opposed to the ones bought on by frost/snow, etc. :rolleyes:

Social source share

=========

Probably should have added when I said shiver, I was talking about the ones that travel the spine as opposed to the ones bought on by frost/snow, etc. :rolleyes:

link

spot on! its the same with me, i was sat at home and just thought what other people thought made a great tune.

with me it can be a whole lot of different reasons, vocals, lyrics, verse, chorus, drunk, sober etc etc, i knew nobody could answer cause record producers and artist have been trying for years! and thank god they have!

by the way i required my soul when i was a twinkle in my fathers fathers fathers eye! :thumbsup:

Social source share

=========

link

First time i have heard it called frost/snow?.Ken

Social source share

I noticed when listening to the CD This is Northern Soul Vol 1(the motown one). Two tracks one after the other, to me, show a black pop singer and a soul singer. Diana Ross Singing "He's All I've Got" Followed by Gladys Knight singing "Just Walk In My Shoes". Ms Ross sings along with the tune, and our Gladys's voice makes the tune/melody. I realise that they are not difinative examples of the genres but just hearing them one after the other sort of explained it to me.

Paul

Social source share

the artist?

the label?

were it was recorded?

instruments used?

personal taste?

link

The flipant answers first:

It has to be a record obviously (not a CD) :)

The artsist makes the record but should the question be 'who' not 'what'?

Where something is recorded is irrelevant surely if everything else concerned with the recording remained unchanged then a recording in Chicago and one in New Orleans would be the same surely?

Colour of the artist is irrelevant and sometimes we don't even know, funny how some peoples opinions on a track change id they find out the artist is white :ohmy:

Personal taste that's it thats the answer as you can see on 98% of postings on here :)

The real answer is probably something about the conection between the emotion of the artist and the emotion of the listener. But perhaps thats my personal taste :)

Social source share

nice, now im off to record my own soul tracks! they will be on sale at www.whatthef**kisthat.com

and i'll be playing in a working mans club near you soon! :ohmy::):)

Edited by whiteboygotsoul
Social source share

What makes a soul record a soul record? When you're listening to the singer, do you believe them? Do you truly believe that they are literally putting their heart and soul into the song? When Little Anthony sings "Hurt So Bad", my God do you believe that he's hurting. And that's interpreting somebody elses lyrics (Teddy Randazzo).

Irma Thomas - I'm Gonna Cry Till My Tears Run Dry, Ruby & The Romantics - I Cry Alone, you believe that they're hurting.

Jackie Lee (or anyone for that matter) doing "The Duck". Well, it ain't soul is it?

Paul R mentioning Diana Ross on He's All I Got. True, it's like she's going through the motions whereas Gladys Knight convinces you that if you do walk in her shoes you'll see what's what.

Bottom line (for me anyway), has he/she convinced me that they've lived through every word they're singing. No = singer going through the motions, Yes = soul.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert