Guest mikecook

• Replies 82
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest bazrico

my only SOSO is house for sale, this mournfull dirge gets played everwhere I go an it does my napper in ,wish somebody would buy it or better still condemn it an demolish tne fookin place its been on the market too long ph34r.gif

know the feeling

Social source share

It Takes Heart - Greg Perry

I Wanna Give You Tomorrow - Benny Troy

Love Is A Serious Business - Alfie Davidson

It's pass the sickbag for me... but loads of people love 'em.

On the right night, after a few drinks, I'll still dance to Ruby Andrews though. On the other hand Carla Thomas 'I'll Never Stop Loving You' makes me sit straight down.

You read my mind .. those three tracks set my gag reflex going. I don't go to many do's but still seem to hear them each time I do!

Moses Smith is another one that through familiarity has brought contempt.

Social source share

Guest bazrico

You read my mind .. those three tracks set my gag reflex going. I don't go to many do's but still seem to hear them each time I do!

Moses Smith is another one that through familiarity has brought contempt.

Try Moses Smith -- Come on let me love

Social source share

sorry joan i dont own any chav gear but i will wear a new suit tomorrow if that helps ?

Over the last 20 years

Mickey Champion

Ted Taylor

Big Daddy Rogers

Contstellations

Pat & the Blenders

Carol & Gerri

All good records in their own right but IMO overplayed-overplayed overplayed.

Ruby Andrews-Top class.

Edited by Kev Moore
Social source share

Isn't this rather a futile debate? The 'scene' is, what it is, because of the tracks mentioned in this thread; they are part of the great playlist of Northern Soul, and they are what attracted all of us to this genre.

A far more interesting subject would be the abuse that some DJs had heaped on them for introducing any particular track, which did not fit in with what some of the 'faithful', thought, that Northern was.........

Social source share

lonely for you baby,sam dees

and im so cr**py,p mitchell, :D:D

dont get out much these days but when i do they always seem to play these two tunes, :D:D

but as usual its horses for courses!!!, :thumbsup:

Here here. Two dreadful tunes. You'd think Lonely For You Baby was the only record Sam Dees ever recorded. :lol:

Suz

x

Social source share

Here here. Two dreadful tunes. You'd think Lonely For You Baby was the only record Sam Dees ever recorded. :thumbsup:

Suz

x

It's far from a dreadful record...but admittedly every man and his dog seems to play it...waY I see it you have to think along the lines of...yes this record has been truely saturated...but if you heard it for the first time tomorrow...how would you feel?

Social source share

It's far from a dreadful record...but admittedly every man and his dog seems to play it...waY I see it you have to think along the lines of...yes this record has been truely saturated...but if you heard it for the first time tomorrow...how would you feel?

Still dislike it, sorry its a tune I have never liked.

Suz

x

Social source share

It Takes Heart - Greg Perry

I Wanna Give You Tomorrow - Benny Troy

Love Is A Serious Business - Alfie Davidson

It's pass the sickbag for me...

One of the good points of the smoking ban is that when one of these tunes are played its a good time to go outside for a smoke.

Social source share

3. Chris Clark - Somethings Wrong :wicked:

It must be a regional thing but i've never heard this played out at a venue before & yes i do go out fairly regularly.

Last 4 weeks i've been to dos at London, Hastings, Bournemouth & Brighton as an example.

Infact until i just found this on refosoul i'd never even heard it before!

Simon

Social source share

It must be a regional thing but i've never heard this played out at a venue before & yes i do go out fairly regularly.

Last 4 weeks i've been to dos at London, Hastings, Bournemouth & Brighton as an example.

Simon

Its been hammered to death round this way for a few years Simon

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

does it have to be tunes you hear out everytime you go out cause i would say there are loads in Peterborough in fact dare to play an underplayed tune etc will get you no where

tracks like

Smokey Robinson and miracles - Whole Lotta Shakin Goin on

Lou Rawls - See You When I Get There

The MVP's - Turning My Heartbeat Up and i would say my fav

Sam Cooke - Sugar Dumpling i ask for all the time but that's been played out less this year it used to be like i attended say 12 nights and had it played at all 12 but the last 6 months it's more like 2 or 3 out of 6. and what's worse requested for it by a DJ who has it but not played it

Social source share

I think SOSO can vary from region to region. Some tracks are played repeatedly at some venues, but then this maybe seldom heard in other areas (as some of the posts on here show). The tracks that I interpret as the SOSO when reading lookbacks are stuff that I used to hear on Scooter Runs 20 yrs ago.

For example tracks like the following:

1. Moses Smith - Girl Across The Street

2. Billy Butler - Right Track

3. Frank Wilson - Do I Love You

4. Dobie Gray - Out On The Floor

However, when was the last time that you actually heard any of them played out?

More recent SOSO amongst aothers I would say:

1. Dee Dee Sharpe - Deep Dark Secret

2. Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - Ain't No Mountain

3. Chris Clark - Somethings Wrong :rolleyes:

Last time I heard the top suggestions - last time I went KGH northern room. (Ginger's spot always sounds the same up there) I agree with all your suggestions.(except DDS)

I agree with loads that have been suggested. I'm surprised no-one's mentioned dotty & millie or Isley Brother's my love is your love or tell me its just a rumour, which was good the first 1000 times I heard it.

How can anyone ever tire of hearing Sam Fletcher?.. :lol:

Jayne.x :lol:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Can't think of many tracks if any that have been played more than Ruby Andrews in the last 15 yrs... so it must come under the SOSO heading...

Whereas I haven't actually heard Ruby Andrews played out since 1974... unsure.gif

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

ruby winters-just loving you.. biggrin.gif .....time for the toilet !!

Should'nt that be Ruby ANDREWS. Defo would'nt call that an overplayed classic mate.Are you going to the Notts. Palais reunion next April 13th cos she's gonna be appearing live. Miss it at your peril. Stay soulful and keep an ear out for a lot of rubbish that IS played today and should stay in the record boxes. Tony T BONE Ozzy Invader. K.T.F.

Social source share

Should'nt that be Ruby ANDREWS. Defo would'nt call that an overplayed classic mate.Are you going to the Notts. Palais reunion next April 13th cos she's gonna be appearing live. Miss it at your peril. Stay soulful and keep an ear out for a lot of rubbish that IS played today and should stay in the record boxes. Tony T BONE Ozzy Invader. K.T.F.

Yes it is overplayed,VERY! i got rid of mine a while ago as i couldnt bare to hear it anymore . Looking at the stuff so far, thats a fair few peoples playlist i know down the bog,piss funny really biggrin.gif

Edited by JMYTG
Social source share

How can anyone ever tire of hearing Sam Fletcher?.. :lol:

Jayne.x :lol:

My mate married Samantha Fletcher and he reckons he is well fed up of hearing her yap on...lol

LOL - terrible! :lol:

The Futures & The Brothers- both extremely overplayed. I can cope with overplayed if they're good tracks but when they're over played and they're shite... I just can't bear it.

Jayne.x

Edited by Miss BurySoul
Social source share

read all the posts mate !....already realised and been told i got the surname wrong....no wont be going to notts...never said it was a bad track just overplayed....in the south west at least....at least once a month somewhere...but then im out every weekend so i suppose its my fault !! :(

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Have you been out since 1974 Mel? :rolleyes:

Not to the kind of places that would dare "overplay" Ruby Andrews :ohmy:

Honestly, I completely missed the Ruby Andrews "revival" thankfully, as it's one of my favourites from way, way back.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

The phrase "same old, same old" is used frequently to describe records that are played out time and time again.

So what are the records that are considered to be the 'same old, same old' that people are tired of hearing when they attend a venue?

Does the phrase include 'classics' such as these that have been continually played since the year dot?

Epitome of Sound- You don't love me

Dynells - Call on me

Jack Montgomery- My Dear beloved

Sam Fletcher - I'd think it over

The Majestics-(I love her so much) It hurts me

The Seven Souls- I Still love you

please feel free to add the tracks that you are tired of hearing when you go out...........

ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE ALL REALLY BORING SAME OLD SHIT 45S ! (THAT MOST OF US HAVE OWNED SINCE WE WERE 16)

SEVEN SOULS EVEN MORE SO ! IMO !

A WELL OVERPLAYED AND OVERATED OLDIE !

CHICAGO AT ITS WORST AND BADDEST !

TOTAL POP CRAP TO MY EARS ?

SOLD MY COPY TO MICK SMITH, AND DONT WANT ANOTHER........... EVER !

IMO !

NORTHERN SOUL BY NUMBERS !

Edited by mossy
Social source share

ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE ALL REALLY BORING SAME OLD SHIT 45S ! (THAT MOST OF US HAVE OWNED SINCE WE WERE 16)

SEVEN SOULS EVEN MORE SO ! IMO !

A WELL OVERPLAYED AND OVERATED OLDIE !

CHICAGO AT ITS WORST AND BADDEST !

TOTAL POP CRAP TO MY EARS ?

SOLD MY COPY TO MICK SMITH, AND DONT WANT ANOTHER........... EVER !

IMO !

NORTHERN SOUL BY NUMBERS !

all good tunes i reckon but agree do not make me rush to the floor like they once did !.....'never the less' they do still fill the floor at most venues i attend and so will continue to be played no doubt.....by the way i dont own original copies....i would like too but probably a good thing i dont so i wont get requested them and be accused of playing the same old same old.....so much !! :rolleyes:

Social source share

Simon

:ohmy: its been abused thats for sure but ive not heard it for a few weeks as i aint been out :ohmy:

blimey Simon you arer getting about a bit aint you :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert