Aberdeen Allnighter 4th April

A brilliant night yet again :wub:

Acky started the night off at 10pm with some underplayed and favs, giving some flavour to the floor while the drinkers got settled. I cant recall all that was played as I was on the door with the ladies thumbsup.gif , of which I was offered some relief about 11.30 :D

Headed to the bar while Steve continued his stint 11-12 with some across the board sounds that encouraged all to grab their slice of the floor. About 350-400 in by 12.

Kenny Burrell and Chris King mixed up 4 hours from 12 with a selection of oldies, underplayed and favourites, nice to see Kenny still got his acetate still there if need be when the BIG 'UN sells. Nice one Kenny!

Colin Law up at 4 with a great set again, 21st Century, Johnnie Mae Matthews, Stewart Ames, Daryl Fletcher. Still great to hear Colin play out, great taste this man :D

I was on at 5am and by that time, the population was down to around 150 bodies, didn't have any problems keeping them moving with some favs, underplayed an R&b :D

I will post my playlist up and am sure other dj's will follow suit. A great night with some fantastic customers, Dj's and staff.

On behalf of Granite City Soul in Aberdeen, I would like to thank Kenny Burrell, Colin Law and Chris King. Also thanks to the ladies on the door Karen and Lesley. But especially the soul folks that made the effort to travel and enjoy another memorable night :ohmy:

See you at the next one, :)

AWRABEST,

H

• Replies 33
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

My playlist from 5am till Close.

Fabulous Peps-With these eyes WEE 3

Vontastics-Never let your love grow cold St LAWRENCE

Barbara Mason-Bobby is my baby ARCTIC

Experts-My love is real JO BY

Sheppards-Walkin' OKEH

Citations-Keep the faith BALLAD

Herbie Mann-Philly dog ATLANTIC

Charades-Love of my life OKEH

Jackie Wilson-Higher and higher BRUNSWICK

Buddy Lamp-My tears DOUBLE L

Ray Charles-You're just about to lose you're clown ABC

Rodger Collins-She's looking good GALAXY

Somebody's always trying-Ted Taylor OKEH

Gloria Brown-Looking for my baby CHECKER

Luther Ingram-Baby, don't you weep KENT

Lee Rogers-Troubles MAHS

Jimmy Robbins-I can't please you JERHART

Freddie Gorman-Just for you MIRACLE

Freddie Houston-Chills and Fever OLD TOWN

Chuck Jackson-Hand it over WAND

Bobby Hebb-Love me PHILIPS

Pat Lundy-Make it for the door HEIDI

Little Esther Philips-While it lasted LENOX

Thanks to all :D

H

A brilliant night yet again :wub:

Acky started the night off at 10pm with some underplayed and favs, giving some flavour to the floor while the drinkers got settled. I cant recall all that was played as I was on the door with the ladies thumbsup.gif , of which I was offered some relief about 11.30 :D

Headed to the bar while Steve continued his stint 11-12 with some across the board sounds that encouraged all to grab their slice of the floor. About 350-400 in by 12.

Kenny Burrell and Chris King mixed up 4 hours from 12 with a selection of oldies, underplayed and favourites, nice to see Kenny still got his acetate still there if need be when the BIG 'UN sells. Nice one Kenny!

Colin Law up at 4 with a great set again, 21st Century, Johnnie Mae Matthews, Stewart Ames, Daryl Fletcher. Still great to hear Colin play out, great taste this man :D

I was on at 5am and by that time, the population was down to around 150 bodies, didn't have any problems keeping them moving with some favs, underplayed an R&b :D

I will post my playlist up and am sure other dj's will follow suit. A great night with some fantastic customers, Dj's and staff.

On behalf of Granite City Soul in Aberdeen, I would like to thank Kenny Burrell, Colin Law and Chris King. Also thanks to the ladies on the door Karen and Lesley. But especially the soul folks that made the effort to travel and enjoy another memorable night :ohmy:

See you at the next one, :)

AWRABEST,

H

Couldn't agree more what a fantastic night, we are so fortunate to have this venue in Aberdeen a huge well done to all the promoters and DJ's seee you all at the belmont Sunday 3rd May for the Alldayer

Couldn't agree more what a fantastic night, we are so fortunate to have this venue in Aberdeen a huge well done to all the promoters and DJ's seee you all at the belmont Sunday 3rd May for the Alldayer

Your 2nd one guys, although the numbers were lower it was still a great night, fantastic atmosphere in a beautiful venue and real friendly people, Colins set was superb, as always. Hibs and Macmerry crowd, great company and full of fun....... Surprised to see Roddy, looked like he was having a good time. smile.gif

Keith Keddie thanks for the tickets, will pass msg on...... :wicked:

Last but not least Kenny B, doesnt get any better, and thank you for playing Ruby Andrews :D

Tony see you in Rimini....

Phyllis

Your 2nd one guys, although the numbers were lower it was still a great night, fantastic atmosphere in a beautiful venue and real friendly people, Colins set was superb, as always. Hibs and Macmerry crowd, great company and full of fun....... Surprised to see Roddy, looked like he was having a good time. smile.gif

Keith Keddie thanks for the tickets, will pass msg on...... :wicked:

Last but not least Kenny B, doesnt get any better, and thank you for playing Ruby Andrews :D

Tony see you in Rimini....

Phyllis

Philly cant wait for Rimini had a fantastic time there last year, hopefully catch up with you at the belmont before July KTF

Great Night, Amazing venue and the friendliest crowd I have ever met!

Travelled up on friday from North Yorkshire with the fragrant madame beehive. After a day looking round the granite metropolis we went to the warm up which took place in a Motown themed bar with it's own looping roller coaster (I kid you not)! We were then taken under the wing of the Fife and Edinburgh soulies who looked after us for the next 10 hours. The venue is probably the finest I have ever been in! Magnificent octagonal sprung dancefloor, balcony and even a decent enclose smoking court yard. The floor was full all night (well till 3.45 when I left) and there were some excellent dancers. it was nice to see a decent smattering of younger soulies there as well. Two complaints! 1. get the word out more!! if people knew about this they would travel, 2. Twice a year is not enough, this venue is begging to be used more often! Finally thanks again for the friendship, I've never shook so many hands in one night!

Comrade Moustache and Madame Beehive (AKA Steve and Jo from Northallerton Soul Club)

p.s. when's the next un?

Guest soulfularab

I had a great nite as well, well done to the lads and lasses who organised it. This is an absolute top quality venue and coming out at 6am to see the sun rising over the North Sea just topped it off for me !

well done all the djs but special mention for Kenny Burrell for playing Christine Cooper - Heartaches Away, I totally love that tune.

Roll on the next one, Spetember if I rember right.

Guest Aberdeen Soul

I agree it was a great nite & yes i did notice as well the numbers were down from last time, here's hoping it was down to the credit crunch, it is a fantastic venue for a scottish all-nighter & deserves a full house. Dj sets were great, were quite a lot of tunes new to my ears anyway which is great, always like to hear fresh sounds & not the same sets being played.

Was good to see not much ppl flooding the dancefloor with talc this time, was getting like an ice-rink last year :D

I see Haydn has already posted his playlist, good man :wicked: how about see-ing the others guys?

Roll on the September All-Nighter

I agree it was a great nite & yes i did notice as well the numbers were down from last time, here's hoping it was down to the credit crunch, it is a fantastic venue for a scottish all-nighter & deserves a full house. Dj sets were great, were quite a lot of tunes new to my ears anyway which is great, always like to hear fresh sounds & not the same sets being played.

Was good to see not much ppl flooding the dancefloor with talc this time, was getting like an ice-rink last year :D

I see Haydn has already posted his playlist, good man :wicked: how about see-ing the others guys?

Probably due to the fact that there was a well established soul night on in Edinburgh on the same date wink.gif

Probably due to the fact that there was a well established soul night on in Edinburgh on the same date :P

Dont think that was the reason....... spoke to Maureen yesterday, only people in were the ones that came up from Newcastle with Duncan..... and a few others, plus there were only 8 that I saw that usually attend Spiders. Where you there? So must be some other reason as to why numbers were low at both events. :thumbsup:

Dont think that was the reason....... spoke to Maureen yesterday, only people in were the ones that came up from Newcastle with Duncan..... and a few others, plus there were only 8 that I saw that usually attend Spiders. Where you there? So must be some other reason as to why numbers were low at both events. :thumbsup:

We couldn't make due to a funeral on the Saturday morning of a very good friend but would have went if we hadn't been feeling pretty low

Guest Belmontsoul

Was good to see not much ppl flooding the dancefloor with talc this time, was getting like an ice-rink last year :P

I see Haydn has already posted his playlist, good man :thumbsup: how about see-ing the others guys?

Guest Belmontsoul

STEVE WILLOX ON FROM 11PM TILL 12PM

1. BUNNY SIGLER - FOLLOW YOUR HEART - FRENCH STATESIDE
  2. TOMMY NAVARRO - I CRIED MY LIFE AWAY - JAC RECORDS
  3. DONI BURDICK - BARI TRACK - SOUL GALORE
  4. THE DELLS - YOUR SONG - 20TH CENTURY
  5. MILLIE JACKSON - HOUSE FOR SALE - SPRING
  6. TANGEERS - LET MY HEART AND SOUL BE FREE - OKEH
  7. TOMANGOE'S - I REALLY LOVE YOU - WASHPAN
  8. REGGIE GARNER - HOTLINE - CAPITAL
  9. JOE TEX - UNDER YOUR POWERFUL LOVE - DIAL
  10. PRINCE PHILIP MITCHELL - ONE ON ONE - ATLANTIC
  11. THE LOVELITES - GET IT OFF MY CONSCIENCE - GRAPEVINE
  12. THE PARLIAMENTS - HEART TROUBLE - SEVENS
  13. RITA & THE TIARAS - GONE WITH THE WIND IS MY LOVE - DESTINY
  14. ON THE REAL SIDE - LARRY SAUNDERS - REAL SIDE RECORDS
  15. SEVEN SOULS - I STILL LOVE YOU - STARDUST
  16. N.F PORTER - IF I COULD ONLY BE SURE - LIZARD
  17. WILLIE MITCHELL - THE CHAMPION - LONDON
  18. SISTER SLEDGE - LOVE DON'T YOU GO THROUGH NO CHANGES ON ME - ATLANTIC
  19. SOUL BROTHER SIX - I'LL BE LOVING YOU - ATLANTIC
  20. THE DELLS - MAKE SURE - CADET
THANKS TO CHRIS KING, KENNY BURRELL & COLIN LAW FOR THEIR SUPPORT AND FOR ALL WHO ATTENDED, MANY THANKS.

NEXT ABERDEEN ALL-NIGHTER IS 12TH SEPT 09

CHEERS FOR NOW, STEVE GCNSC

Guest Belmontsoul

Travelled up on friday from North Yorkshire with the fragrant madame beehive. After a day looking round the granite metropolis we went to the warm up which took place in a Motown themed bar with it's own looping roller coaster (I kid you not)! We were then taken under the wing of the Fife and Edinburgh soulies who looked after us for the next 10 hours. The venue is probably the finest I have ever been in! Magnificent octagonal sprung dancefloor, balcony and even a decent enclose smoking court yard. The floor was full all night (well till 3.45 when I left) and there were some excellent dancers. it was nice to see a decent smattering of younger soulies there as well. Two complaints! 1. get the word out more!! if people knew about this they would travel, 2. Twice a year is not enough, this venue is begging to be used more often! Finally thanks again for the friendship, I've never shook so many hands in one night!

Comrade Moustache and Madame Beehive (AKA Steve and Jo from Northallerton Soul Club)

p.s. when's the next un?

12TH OF SEPTEMBER. I WANTED TO MEET YOUS , SORRY I NEVER CAUGHT UP WE YOUS , I WAS HAVING A GOOD TIME . MAYBE NEXT TIME . THANKS FOR COMING UP . STEVE ..............KTF.

Was good to see not much ppl flooding the dancefloor with talc this time, was getting like an ice-rink last year :P

I see Haydn has already posted his playlist, good man :thumbsup: how about see-ing the others guys?

Alan, why don;t you come along to the malt mill on the 18th, I am on and will hopefully play some new stuff to your ears. Ain't saying it will be any good but new stuff anyway :D

Take Care,

Des

STEVE WILLOX ON FROM 11PM TILL 12PM

1. BUNNY SIGLER - FOLLOW YOUR HEART - FRENCH STATESIDE
  2. TOMMY NAVARRO - I CRIED MY LIFE AWAY - JAC RECORDS
  3. DONI BURDICK - BARI TRACK - SOUL GALORE
  4. THE DELLS - YOUR SONG - 20TH CENTURY
  5. MILLIE JACKSON - HOUSE FOR SALE - SPRING
  6. TANGEERS - LET MY HEART AND SOUL BE FREE - OKEH
  7. TOMANGOE'S - I REALLY LOVE YOU - WASHPAN
  8. REGGIE GARNER - HOTLINE - CAPITAL
  9. JOE TEX - UNDER YOUR POWERFUL LOVE - DIAL
  10. PRINCE PHILIP MITCHELL - ONE ON ONE - ATLANTIC
  11. THE LOVELITES - GET IT OFF MY CONSCIENCE - GRAPEVINE
  12. THE PARLIAMENTS - HEART TROUBLE - SEVENS
  13. RITA & THE TIARAS - GONE WITH THE WIND IS MY LOVE - DESTINY
  14. ON THE REAL SIDE - LARRY SAUNDERS - REAL SIDE RECORDS
  15. SEVEN SOULS - I STILL LOVE YOU - STARDUST
  16. N.F PORTER - IF I COULD ONLY BE SURE - LIZARD
  17. WILLIE MITCHELL - THE CHAMPION - LONDON
  18. SISTER SLEDGE - LOVE DON'T YOU GO THROUGH NO CHANGES ON ME - ATLANTIC
  19. SOUL BROTHER SIX - I'LL BE LOVING YOU - ATLANTIC
  20. THE DELLS - MAKE SURE - CADET

Can I ask if this list is representative of what was played all night?

Nothing sinister I promise. Just curious.

"Can I ask if this list is representative of what was played all night?

Nothing sinister I promise. Just curious."

Of course you can Joan :P

Sheppards-Walkin' OKEH

Lee Rogers-Troubles MAHS

The night was a total mix of everything to please. I am sure the rest of the DJ's will post in good time. Among requests there was a few rareties underplayed and we tried to cater for all tastes.

At present we are trying to incorporate a modern side to things also, If we can confirm an extra room in the future.

At the moment we can only continue to play as the dancers dictate and it seems to be keeping a steady boat for now.

Andy Dennison and Lenny Harkins at next one, more progression there methinks, can't wait :thumbsup:

ATB,

Haydn

Guest Belmontsoul

Can I ask if this list is representative of what was played all night?

Nothing sinister I promise. Just curious.

NO NOT AT ALL . MOST OF MY SPOT WERE REQUESTS . A NIGHT OF EVERYTHING .

Hi Hadyn,

I don't want to take away from what you are trying to do as you seem to genuinely want to do something good in your area.

That said, I was a little surprised to see a play list featuring records on Stardust, Destiny and Sevens, especially considering the wealth of first class DJ's / collectors you have up there.

Like I said, nothing sinister and I wish you every success.

oops...missed the D out of DJ

Edited by jumpinjoan
Guest soulintent

:thumbsup:

Travelled a long way to get there, but it was worth every minute, the Fifers are brilliant the dance floor was ace, and my legs fell off on Sunday! I and several others will be at the next one, and anyone who wants to see the most sprung dance floor in Britain has to go there as well. Brill nite thanx

Edited by soulintent
Guest soulintent

p.s. when's the next un?

Hey up steve/ Jo, Have you recovered? The fife lot said hope you get to the next one. Totally brill nite for everyone concerned, no soul police looking at playlists just a dancefloor full of people all nite long. next one's in September. See you there.

John

Guest Aberdeen Soul

Alan, why don;t you come along to the malt mill on the 18th, I am on and will hopefully play some new stuff to your ears. Ain't saying it will be any good but new stuff anyway :P

Take Care,

Des

How are you?

pity u were away & missed the nighter, i really enjoyed myself, my legs are paying for it now though, was rarely off the dance floor, must be getting old :thumbsup:

I might just take you up on ur offer of attending the malt mill, will see if i can persuade the other half to tag along as well, let her hear something different as well, always keen to hear tunes ''new to my ears anyway'' any heads up on what time ur on at? who else is guesting?

Ronnie was at the nighter as well, managed to persuade him to come along when he buzzed me later that day, what a loon, seemed to really enjoy himself though.

When u back in the country?

A

Hey up steve/ Jo, Have you recovered? The fife lot said hope you get to the next one. Totally brill nite for everyone concerned, no soul police looking at playlists just a dancefloor full of people all nite long. next one's in September. See you there.

John

If you don't want people to look at playlists it might be an idea not to post them up on a public forum :thumbsup:

NICE SET HAYDN..LOVE THAT CHARADES ON OKEH..THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO LIKED IT

OBVIOUSLY NOT..MAN OF IMPECCABLE TASTE

CONGRATS ON YOUR NIGHT GLAD IT WENT WELL FOR YA MATE

GASHER

ote name='Haydn' date='Apr 6 09, 11:16 AM' post='1042179']

Sheppards-Walkin' OKEH

Lee Rogers-Troubles MAHS

Thanks to all :thumbup:

H

Guest acky6859

First of all I would like to say very big thanks to Kenny Burrell, Colin Law, Chris King plus Local djs for there time and support for this superb event, :thumbup: and of course not forgetting the most important thing in a event like this, you the crowd who supported this night please give yourself a well deserved pat on the back :) and especialy those who travelled from down south glad you enjoyed your first time in the Granite city :P and hope to see you back on 12th Sept. yes numbers were down on this the only second all-nighter here but things can only impove :lol: . but thanks to all who made it along on the night it's very much appreciated. :wicked:

my toones from 10-11 sorry not in any particular order

Audrey Winters - thank you baby - Virgo

shirley Vaughn - you don't know - Fairmount

salvadores - stick by me baby ( Alt 1st Take Unissued )

Quotations - i don't have to worry - Divenus

Anna King - mamas got a bag of her own - End

pal rakes - can't deny the hurt - Verve

Cissy Stone - gone but not forgotten - Decca

the producers - love is amazing - Huff Puff

Inspirations - no one else can take your place - Breakthrough

fred Hughes - baby boy - Brunswick

Intros - stop look listen - Jamie

Metros - since i found my baby - RCA

Jackie wilson - you brought about a change in me - Brunswick

Erma Franklin - whispers gettin louder - Brunswick

Buster & eddie - cant be still - class

Ann Sexton - you've been gone to long - Seventy Seven

Marvelettes - i'll keep holding on - Tamla

Crystals/la la brooks - i got a man - U.A

Jack Montgomery - baby baby take a chance on me - Revue

Nicole Willis - if this ain't love - Timmion

Detroit Excuitives - cool off - Pameline

maxine brown - let me give you my lovin - Wand

so thanks for a great night folks and hope to see you on 12th Sept with confirmed Djs so far :yes:

Kenny Burrell

Andy Dennison

Lenny Harkins

Bob Caird,

How are you? I'm fine but suffering jet lag.

'any heads up on what time ur on at? Not sure what time I will be on.

who else is guesting? Andy Whitmore is guest DJ.

When u back in the country? Back home over weekend.

Hi Allan,

Malt Mill Aberdeen Sat 18th April

With Andy Whitmore on the decks and the rest of the Aberdeen Soul guys, this night has all the makings to provide a great night of soul music. The venues great, the beer is reasonable, the sound system is fantastic and with quality original tunes can't fail to win. Just need everyone to come along and support this night. Sure to be something for everyone. Pass the word around, better than staying in watching pish on the box - you all know it makes sense. :thumbsup:

Des

Edited by Dezzie Boy
Guest wigantojapan

Hi Allan,

Malt Mill Aberdeen Sat 18th April

With Andy Whitmore on the decks and the rest of the Aberdeen Soul guys, this night has all the makings to provide a great night of soul music. The venues great, the beer is reasonable, the sound system is fantastic and with quality original tunes can't fail to win. Just need everyone to come along and support this night. Sure to be something for everyone. Pass the word around, better than staying in watching pish on the box - you all know it makes sense. :thumbsup:

Des

Hello from japan

good to hear that it was a succesful night and also there was a lot off younger ones in.

It really is a fantastic venue i was at an all nighter there many many moons ago.

If there is any footage on you tube as i would love to show my japanese mates what is happening in the Uk now.

I dont know if this was advertised as much here as on scottish soul sites,but for all you soulies south of the border a great night is guarenteed

Intersting to see what colin law,kenny burrell and chris king played

arigatou

my toones from 10-11 sorry not in any particular order

Audrey Winters - thank you baby - Virgo

shirley Vaughn - you don't know - Fairmount

salvadores - stick by me baby ( Alt 1st Take Unissued )

Quotations - i don't have to worry - Divenus

Anna King - mamas got a bag of her own - End

pal rakes - can't deny the hurt - Verve

Cissy Stone - gone but not forgotten - Decca

the producers - love is amazing - Huff Puff

Inspirations - no one else can take your place - Breakthrough

fred Hughes - baby boy - Brunswick

Intros - stop look listen - Jamie

Metros - since i found my baby - RCA

Jackie wilson - you brought about a change in me - Brunswick

Erma Franklin - whispers gettin louder - Brunswick

Buster & eddie - cant be still - class

Ann Sexton - you've been gone to long - Seventy Seven

Marvelettes - i'll keep holding on - Tamla

Crystals/la la brooks - i got a man - U.A

Jack Montgomery - baby baby take a chance on me - Revue

Nicole Willis - if this ain't love - Timmion

Detroit Excuitives - cool off - Pameline

maxine brown - let me give you my lovin - Wand

Hi Acky some nice tunes there. :thumbsup:

Hope you don't mind me asking but where did you get the salvadores - stick by me baby ( Alt 1st Take Unissued ) from? Is it on a CD? Any chance of a soundfile as I would like to compare it to the original issue? Is it very different? Just curious as never heard about it before and can't seem to find any info on web. Always willing to learn something new.

Cheers mate,

Des

Guest acky6859

Hi Acky some nice tunes there. :ohmy:

Hope you don't mind me asking but where did you get the salvadores - stick by me baby ( Alt 1st Take Unissued ) from? Is it on a CD? Any chance of a soundfile as I would like to compare it to the original issue? Is it very different? Just curious as never heard about it before and can't seem to find any info on web. Always willing to learn something new.

Cheers mate,

Des

got it from steve jeffries at prestatyn hes the guy that does all the unissued acetates and usually only does around 5 copies from the original acetate and gives to some top djs to play in england. me thinks a lot better than the orig really nice sound and vocals a lot better i'll try and put up a clip tonight

Hello from japan

good to hear that it was a succesful night and also there was a lot off younger ones in.

It really is a fantastic venue i was at an all nighter there many many moons ago.

If there is any footage on you tube as i would love to show my japanese mates what is happening in the Uk now.

I presume the youtuber is on here, but just in case...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_type...IGHTER&aq=f

got it from steve jeffries at prestatyn hes the guy that does all the unissued acetates and usually only does around 5 copies from the original acetate and gives to some top djs to play in england. me thinks a lot better than the orig really nice sound and vocals a lot better i'll try and put up a clip tonight

Thats cool Acky, its great to here that people like steve shares such tunes with others. Looking forward to hearing it. Thanks, Des

Guest wigantojapan

just a wee thought dont want to hijack the thread.How about opening up the other room to colectors or rare or unplayed sounds.of all price ranges

That way you could keep both punters happy.

another thing here in japan they have soul discussion nights,so one room could be used for people to introduce new sounds and Talk about them as well as dance

hopefully that will give a larger awareness and that can transform in time to the main floor.

Keep up the good work

Source Advert